The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 24, 2016, 04:34 PM   #1
Kvon2

Pointer Semi Auto Deluxe Review!

I finally got to take my Pointer out to the range today. Just wanted to share my thoughts on it given there are no reviews anywhere online for these things. Of course this was day one so only time will tell how it is but here's what I have so far!

In the box:

It came disassembled in a pretty decent quality carrying case. The pieces came covered in gun socks which is a nice touch. The case is much better case than what came with my Stag M6 a few months ago. Other than the firearm itself, in the box I found a smaller case containing 5 screw in chokes and a choke tool. The chokes were marked 1-5. The manual refers to 5 as a skeet choke, in my experience that is usually a cylinder choke but close enough. Everything else was standard. There were also 3 spacers for adjusting the length of pull. It also comes with two gas pistons, one for light loads and one for heavier.

Fit/finish:

Everything fit together very nicely when assembled. No rattling or shaking once put together. I opted for the synthetic stock because of the price tag of about $380. The plastic is coated in a very hand friendly rubbery like finish, it feels good in the hand! The finish on the 28 inch barrel I will admit is just okay. Not beautiful. The red fiber optic front sight is definitely a nice touch, can't wait to use it for clays. The recoil pad helps, but is somewhat small. I believe the field model comes with a thicker one, definitely something to consider.

Performance/Reliability:

Today I put 50 rounds of birdshot through it with no errors of any sort. I also put 3 slugs down range at 50 yards(only had 3 left from my last shoot) and those cycled well. I didn't measure the group of slugs but I'd put it around 3 inches or so.

Given that this is going to be a skeet/trap gun I have confidence in the Pointer to perform well for doubles. Of course, 53 total rounds is a very small sample size.

Verdict:

Overall I am very pleased with my purchase. Like a lot of legacy sports international products, you're getting a lot of things in the box for an attractive price. Given that I only shoot skeet/trap a few weekends a year, the Pointer seems to be a great choice so far.

I'll try to get some pictures up later on!
Old April 25, 2016, 07:01 PM   #2
Rifletom

Interesting. Where/who did you purchase from?
Old April 25, 2016, 08:28 PM   #3
Kvon2

Oddly enough my LGS carries them on their website
Old April 25, 2016, 08:35 PM   #4
Rifletom

Might be interested in one, field grade. What LGS? Thanks.
Old April 26, 2016, 03:56 AM   #5
Kvon2

United gun shop in Rockville Maryland! Would love to hear your take on Pointer if you get one.

And the guys at united are awesome. Their website is pretty hastle free.
Old April 26, 2016, 06:59 AM   #6
eastbank

for the uses you have gotten it for, i see no reason it will not fill them. i have a older winchester 1300 turkey 12ga mag pump that i have cammoed with bow paint and it is my dedicated run and gun turkey shotgun and i have taken quite a few long beards with it. the 1300 is not the best pump shotgun made, but for turkey hunting where 4 shots a year are a lot it does the job i got it for. and you should see the pattererns i get with the .640 choke at 40 yards. eastbank.
Old April 26, 2016, 09:01 AM   #7
buckhorn_cortez

Do you plan on pattern testing the chokes to see how they perform?
Old April 26, 2016, 01:48 PM   #8
Kvon2

I would like to, the only patterning board at my range is 25 yards out and can't be moved.

I've actually never tested patterns (haven't owned many shotguns), would that distance be adequate?
Old April 26, 2016, 08:21 PM   #9
FITASC

Here's some reading on patterning:

http://chuckhawks.com/pattern_shotgun.htm
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 26, 2016, 08:28 PM   #10
Blindstitch

Quote:
I would like to, the only patterning board at my range is 25 yards out and can't be moved.
Can you step back? Some might have rules against it where others might have it where it is because of convenience.

My nearest range has theirs at 30 but really it's only marks on the ground for common yardages. Yet they will let you go back as far as 50.
Old April 26, 2016, 08:40 PM   #11
Kvon2

Unfortunately no. One of my few gripes with my range. Not very shotgun friendly unless it's slugs or clays.
Old April 26, 2016, 08:54 PM   #12
FITASC

If they have clay targets, then they need to set the pattern plate at 40 yards as that is what clay shooters need to see the performance (except for 410)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 27, 2016, 05:25 AM   #13
Kvon2

The pattern board is down on the rifle range which is probably about a half mile from the skeet and trap fields
Old April 27, 2016, 07:06 AM   #14
FITASC

Well, THAT makes sense...............

Maybe there is some space closer to the trap and skeet fields where it might be relocated. Not like rifle shooters need a pattern board.
Old April 27, 2016, 07:08 AM   #15
Kvon2

Yeah but people may miss it when trying to practice with more home defense geared shotguns...most likely not going to be on the clays field with an 18.5 inch barrel...but it does happen lol
Old April 27, 2016, 07:19 AM   #16
FITASC

Then maybe they need two - one for the HD crowd on the rifle range and one for the clay shooters by the clay games fields.................
Old April 27, 2016, 09:12 AM   #17
Kvon2

Not a bad idea, just not sure where they would put it. Definitely worth suggesting.
Old April 27, 2016, 10:17 AM   #18
FITASC

My old club in another state, and two of the clubs I use now all use steel plate and grease; slather some on with a roller, shoot the plate; look at the pattern for issues, smooth with roller and do it as often as needed. Saves paper and counting holes - you'll want to make sure your gun shoots the same POI as POA, as well as checking the patterns from the various tubes. Some tubes are marked one thing, but shoot a pattern completely different