The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old June 26, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1
603Country

Windows 8 and Firing Line Forums

Surely some of you fellows have Windows 8 (I just got it on Monday, with the new PC). Is there some way to arrange to go direct to the forum instead of having to google it up? Maybe there's an app or something.

Just for info, Windows 8 is making me crazy, but I can see that once I have everything set up it'll be a good system. I'm almost finished with all the setups...I think.
Old June 26, 2013, 12:59 PM   #2
2ndsojourn

Ya should bought another gun instead of a new 'puter.
Old June 26, 2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Pahoo

Do you have a Desk-Top?

You should be able to add or copy any site to your desk-top as well as favorites. I don't have Windows-8 but can't believe that you cannot do so. ....

Oh, by the way, consider using Bing. ....
http://www.bing.com/

Be Safe !!!
Old June 26, 2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Strafer Gott

Windows 8 is the proverbial Pole-ish target pistol of operating systems.
Try making a metro tile on your desktop with the URL, similar to the facebook links, et cetera that they provide. Windows 8 is more like a phone operating system.
Old June 26, 2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Dr Big Bird PhD

I've been using DuckDuckGo as a search engine. Their slogan is anonymity.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old June 26, 2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Moving to technical support as this isn't directly gun-related.
Old June 26, 2013, 02:31 PM   #7
603Country

Pahoo, if this operating system has 'favorites', I can't find it. That's where I had various sites when I had the previous system (Windows Vista). Gotta say that Win 8, when set up properly, is going to be great. I can see that. But for the last 3 days I've been on a steep learning curve. Whew.

And how in the heck do ya create a metro tile? That might work, if I knew how to do it. Guess I'll go google it up.
Old June 26, 2013, 05:27 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country
Just for info, Windows 8 is making me crazy, but I can see that once I have everything set up it'll be a good system. I'm almost finished with all the setups...I think.
No it won't because that very sentence defies what a "good system" would be. It's in your way, it's not intuitive and it keeps you from using your computer to do what you want to do, instead of screwing around trying to make Windoze "work". You get it set and it'll work until Adobe or Java or Microsoft or God-knows who will update something and then it won't work again, or until 6 months passes and the registry is so crammed with crap that it takes longer to load a webpage that it should to boot the machine from scratch and you can brew coffee while it "wakes" from sleep.

In any case, setting your home page is explained by Microsoft, here.

"Pinning" your favorites is explained, here.

I'm the "Tech Support" for my entire family and extended family. I've finally told all of them that I'm no longer providing support unless they buy a Mac. It works completely to my advantage because if they don't I simply refer them to HP, Dell, Microsoft, whoever, and if they do, the computer JUST WORKS, is intuitive and functional and I no longer NEED to provide support. The last hold-out just bought one about a month ago. The silence is almost deafening.
Old June 27, 2013, 05:03 PM   #9
craZivn

I'm sorry to say that Windows 8 will probably never stop driving you crazy. In going from Windows Vista to 8, you missed out on the best Windows to date, which was Windows 7!

Every so often Microsoft releases an operating system that is actually better than it's predecessor. These were Windows 95, Windows 98, XP and Windows 7. In between were disasters like Windows ME and Vista. And Windows 8.

I personally am not going to use 8, ever. If they ever stop support for 7 I will switch to Linux. But I'm guessing that the next iteration of Windows will return to the conventional desktop that we know and love. Microsoft has to realize that they trashed a good thing when they tried to make a TOUCH INTERFACE work on a desktop.

/rant

Ivan
Old June 27, 2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Mal H
Staff

Sorry, but this isn't really about TFL. Windows of any version isn't on topic for us.

Closed.
Closed Thread