The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 28, 2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Shotput79

Which Gun?

I want to ask you guys a question. With money not being a problem, if you had to pick a 1858 Remington New Army which pistol would you pick the Uberti or the Pietta and why. I wanted to ask you guys cause I know you will give me the answer and not beat around the bush.
Old August 28, 2012, 10:06 PM   #2
bushmaster65

with money not being a problem...
get both
Old August 28, 2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Shotput79

NO! NO! NO! Bushy you can only pick one.
Old August 29, 2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Hawg

A Pietta from Cabela's is the best bang for the buck.
Old August 29, 2012, 06:15 AM   #5
mykeal

I agree with Hawg. Pietta and Uberti are close enough in quality (we're talking NEW guns here - ones manufactured in the last couple years) that any differences are down to individual gun differences - in other words, you're just as likely to get a lemon with one brand as the other. And those odds are pretty small in either case.

I have a personal preference for Uberti regardless of model, but I can't honestly advise anyone that they're generally 'better'. Buy the least expensive one and give the difference to your local animal shelter - you'll get the best deal and feel righteous at the same time.

Oh, and be advised: Cabela's has come up with a no returns policy lately. They're not honoring any warranties on firearms. The odds are very high that you'll get a quality gun, but for my money that policy disqualifies them from any consideration. Your mileage may vary.
Old August 29, 2012, 06:34 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Hawg and Mykeal....

...Nothing of substance to add to their opinions. But not having anything to say never prevented me from talking.

I recently bought an Uberti and a Pietta, both 1873 Colts for C and B and both new. Only difference in the description of the pistols is the barrel length. In terms of fit finish, operation and general quality, I can't tell the difference.
Old August 29, 2012, 09:10 AM   #7
noelf2

Money not being an issue, I'd get the Uberti. Not because it's any better than a Pietta, but it may be made closer to original specs (size, not metalurgy) and they hide the "black powder only" and some other irritating markings on the bottom of the barrel - hidden by the loading lever. I have mostly Piettas. I have an Uberti made 1858 revolving carbine only because Pietta doesn't offer one. For me, money is a consideration....
Old August 30, 2012, 01:04 PM   #8
arcticap

It could depend on the individual gun and which grip size is preferred.
The Uberti does have a drift adjustable front sight on their standard model and a forged frame.
But I would most likely buy a Pietta, especially if it were a target or a stainless target model.
Pietta's can be loaded using .451 balls and the Remington #10 caps will usually fit their factory nipples perfectly.

Last edited by arcticap; August 30, 2012 at 01:11 PM.