The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 3, 2014, 01:42 PM   #1
RoyalWe

Saiga 5.56 ak

Hello there all, I just put a saiga 5.56 ak on layaway at my local Cabela's and I was wondering what anyone can tell me about these guns, I.e. Is it one of the "converted" ones, What mags does it take, are the furniture pieces replaceable, how's it do etc? I've looked a little into it but it's hard to find specifics on this model, but at $500 I couldn't pass it up! there's a link to the product. Thanks! http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat105524280
Old December 3, 2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Fishbed77

The description on the webpage does not match that of a Saiga at all.

Saigas have Russian-made barrels and receivers. They do not have fluted chambers, or a roller-delayed blowback system of operation. They have a light parkerization, but it is covered with a black paint finish.

The description is that of an HK rifle (or knockoff).

The photo is of a .223 Saiga with a 20" barrel that has had a basic pistol grip/FCG conversion and presumably a bullet guide installed and the mag catch modified to take standard-capacity magazines. If that is what you indeed purchased, pretty much any stock and pistol grip for a stamped-receiver AKM will fit it (as with all AKs, some minor fitting may be required). AKM handguards will not fit it unless you install an AK gas tube and handguard retainer (CSS sells a good bolt-on retainer). Remember that you should keep 922(r) requirements in mind when you begin swapping out parts.

There is no standard for .223 AK magazines, but Polish Beryl mags or Galil mags should run well in a properly-converted .223 Saiga. Bulgarian Circle 10 mags are considered to be among the best and are easily found, but are not cheap:

https://www.k-var.com/shop/M-74N.html

Last edited by Fishbed77; December 4, 2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old December 3, 2014, 05:55 PM   #3
RoyalWe

I noticed that too, it turns out in a footnote they addressed this, this is actually the description for the C93. If it will take standard ak stocks then happy day because the one on it is junk. Also thank you for clarifying on the mags.
Old December 3, 2014, 10:43 PM   #4
chris in va

I had a Saiga conversion exactly like the one pictured, but I did it myself.

Honestly, I didn't care for the platform. You may appreciate an M&P Sport for $550, which I got after selling the Saiga.
Old December 4, 2014, 09:37 PM   #5
RoyalWe

I wanted an AK platform, as I already have a 7.62x39 I like that it's a 5.56. I'll try it out, definitely swapping out the stock, though I don't mind the grip so I'll save my money on that.
Old December 5, 2014, 11:58 PM   #6
5whiskey

Yeah I'm guessing that what they're selling (based off of the price) is a typical Russian Saiga .223. If that's the case, and it's not converted, expect the trigger to be the worst thing you've ever felt. It's quite possibly the worst trigger in existence.

I'm having a hard time believing Cabela's is selling Saiga's that they've gone to the trouble of having converted for that price (though it could happen). For this reason, I would assume it is not converted and it will not take standard AK parts save for the furniture. Mags will need to be promag saiga .223 mags and nothing else (unless there is a bullet guide installed). BTW, they suck and the bullet guide is notorious for breaking off. They do have a lifetime warranty and they replace them without much question, but that's a pain. I wound up just using 2 or 3 mags for range use and kept the other 4 or 5 in the package for future use. The 2 or 3 would eventually break and I would have to ship them back. IF (big if but IF) it is converted and has a bullet guide installed, there are numerous mag options. Galil mags will work at a decent price.

Finally, I didn't like the platform. I converted mine, with bullet guide, but never could get on board the AK train. Saiga was supposed to have the best quality barrel and receiver as well. I turned out my best groups with the fore end removed, and they would never break under 3moa groups. That's just not for me. I don't demand .5moa from every rifle I own, but incapable of less than 3" groups at 100 yards just doesn't do it for me. So, I sold it for a decent price when guns went crazy. That's my honest take.
Old December 6, 2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Mike38

Quote:
Mags will need to be promag saiga .223 mags and nothing else (unless there is a bullet guide installed).
If a Saiga does not have the added bullet guide, then yes you need to use Saiga specific magazines. But, don’t waste your time and trouble with ProMag brand. Spend the couple extra dollars and buy a SGM Tactical brand. I tried the ProMag route, and they failed miserably. Bought a SGM and ran 1000 rounds flawlessly, so I bought 5 more.

I bought an unconverted Saiga 223, and added enough USA made parts to be able to use 30 round mags, (922r compliant). The unconverted one is just fine for my intentions, and it’s a bit more “politically correct” if that concerns anyone. It does what I wanted, shoots minute of man to 300 yards. Fun little range plinker.
Old December 6, 2014, 01:28 PM   #8
Erno86

I bought something similar from J&G Sales in Arizona --- but in 5.45x39 with a bullet guide --- though they sent me 223 magazines for the rifle that would not lock-in the receiver. I called them back...and then they sent me the correct mags. Yours probably has the Tapco trigger group, which is a very fast trigger. It should have left-side receiver scope mount hardware installed.

--- George Orwell
Old December 6, 2014, 07:09 PM   #9
RoyalWe

5whiskey, it is in fact already converted with a bullet guide. I just lucked out that they were having this sale and had them in stock at the Anchorage store (I guess the availability was pretty limited). Once I get it paid off and the range opens back up (it closes for December due to how short the days are!) I'll give a report on how it does, though I can live with 3" at 100m.