The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 3, 2012, 06:48 PM   #1
DADCOWELL

My TCP Slide seems too tight!

I own the Taurus TCP pocket pistol. The slide is difficult to pull back. Can I change the spring to one with less tension? If so, will a lighter spring change the way the gun operates, other than the slide of course.
Old November 3, 2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Arkhog

More info please

When you say that it seems too tight, how do you mean that exactly? How does the gun function? Is it reliable with the current recoil spring? Are you using the sling shot method of retracting the slide or the overhand method?

I haven't done any research on different springs for the TCP. No help there.

Have you cleaned and lubed the frame rails?

A light spring in a polymer gun will cause the slide to batter the frame in many cases.

Last edited by Arkhog; November 3, 2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Additional thought
Old November 3, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
Can I change the spring to one with less tension? If so, will a lighter spring change the way the gun operates...?
The recoil spring's stiffness affects how the gun cycles after firing. Depending on the gun's design, changing the stiffness may cause reliability problems with certain types of ammo, and may cause premature wear in some cases.

Gun designers are cognizant that pistol slides are hard for some people to operate, so they will usually specify the softest spring that will cycle all (or at least most) types of factory ammo reliably. That's the bad news. However, if the gun is brand new, the good news is that most pistol slides become easier to operate after the gun is "broken in" by firing 50-500 rounds.

FWIW you may see ads for softer "reduced power" recoil springs for some pistols. These are generally intended to increase reliability with special custom-loaded, low-power, low-recoil ammo used for target competition. Although these springs also make the slide easier to operate, they will usually cause reliability problems with standard full-power ammo, so they're generally NOT recommended for defensive use.

[EDIT] That said... if the gun has been "broken in" and the slide remains considerably harder to operate than other TCP slides, this may be an indication that something is causing excessive friction inside the gun. If this is the case, a call to factory customer service may be a good idea.
Old November 4, 2012, 02:31 AM   #4
Yung.gunr

I have owned a TCP for a couple years now and the only issue I have had on mine is shooting Tulammo.

When you say it is hard to rack it how are you doing it? Putting your palm on the top of the slide thumb to the rear and pushing with the hand on the grip? Pinching the back of the slide with thumb and index finger, pulling back and releasing? I also would not recommend changing the spring.
What is your body type? Male, female, slight build, average, large?
Gun ownership/knowledge/usage background?

Need more info....
Old November 4, 2012, 09:34 AM   #5
sho'nuff

Slides on tiny pistols are always really hard to pull back. When I taught my wife to shoot mine she struggled with it. It will get better after it breaks in a bit
Old November 5, 2012, 12:10 PM   #6
DADCOWELL

In response to requests for more information:

The Taurus TCP is a small 380 pocket pistol. It has a narrow barrel/slide and a short grip. There is no binding of parts when I retract the slide. . The spring just has a lot of tension. There are actually 2 springs. They are the same length, but one is narrower than the other, so the second spring fits inside the first.

I have fired maybe 500 to 750 rounds with this gun.
Typically, I hold the grip with my left hand. Using my thumb and forefinger, I retract the slide.

I have fairly strong hands, and can retract the slide, but it takes a lot of effort. It's just that in an emergency, I don't want the slide to be an issue. By the way, my 9mm Walther PPS slide seems easier to retract than the TCP.
Old November 5, 2012, 03:03 PM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
Using my thumb and forefinger, I retract the slide... It's just that in an emergency, I don't want the slide to be an issue.
If you're concerned about clearing a dud round, I understand your concern, but the best solution is probably to change your technique rather than modifying the gun. I suggest firmly pressing the top of the slide and the rear sight into the palm of your support hand rather than trying to use your thumb and forefinger. It may not be comfortable, but then, emergencies that require a drawn gun generally aren't going to be comfortable! You may want to wear a leather glove on your support hand during practice.

OTOH if you "Israeli carry" with the chamber empty and plan to rack the slide before firing, my sincere and well-intentioned advice is STOP! IMHO this method of carry is a tactical disaster waiting to happen. I don't want to discuss this topic further in this thread because it's been beaten to death in prior threads elsewhere on this forum, but I'll make two quick comments: (a) almost all modern autoloaders are totally drop-safe with a round chambered- and I strongly suspect this includes your TCP- and (b) if you're concerned about unauthorized access to your firearm, a pistol with a thumb safety and/or a mag disconnect may be a better choice.
Quote:
By the way, my 9mm Walther PPS slide seems easier to retract than the TCP.
This is to be expected. A slide with greater mass allows a softer recoil spring because the slide has more momentum that must be overcome before the breech will open. Furthermore, a physically larger slide is generally easier to grasp, so it may seem to require less effort even if the spring pressure is actually equal.

Another factor is that, all else being equal, a pistol that uses blowback operation (barrel doesn't move) requires a stronger recoil spring than a pistol that uses locked-breech short-recoil operation (the barrel and slide move together for a short distance before the barrel disengages). However, I'm virtually certain that the TCP uses locked-breech operation.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:35 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
I own the Taurus TCP pocket pistol. The slide is difficult to pull back. Can I change the spring to one with less tension? If so, will a lighter spring change the way the gun operates, other than the slide of course.
I've got an LCP, Ruger's P3AT copy. It's slide is pretty stuff to cycle too. My guess is, that's just the way they are.

Changing the spring might affect reliability. Try it and see. Wolff makes sets for the P3AT and LCP. Perhaps one of them will work.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 6, 2012, 10:01 AM   #9
357 mag

Just shot my Taurus tcp for the first time yesterday the slide is a bit hard to pull but I do find the sling shot method to work just find verses the other methods.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:33 AM   #10
carguychris

Quote:
...I do find the sling shot method to work just find verses the other methods.
Does the TCP slide lock back on an empty mag? I assume it does. Just curious.

Some older pocket pistols don't have this feature, but most pistol buyers expect it nowadays.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:41 AM   #11
SIMP

Yeah, I believe the TCP is one of the very few pocket pistols that does lock back on an empty mag.
Old November 6, 2012, 02:58 PM   #12
DADCOWELL

Ok,

Thanks much to all who responded and for all of the advice and tips.

Bill