The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 16, 2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Oh hello brass to face...Glock 19 gen 4

So...Now my CCW is ejecting brass at my face. Don't worry, it also ejects brass at 3 o'clock, 5 o'clock, straight up, and of course 6 o'clock where my face is.

I've heard about lone wolf having an extractor that's machined steel instead of MIM. I also heard mixed reviews about that as well.

I've also heard about Apex? Never heard of them until this time to be honest. So I don't know.

Anyone out there have/had this issue and gotten it fixed? Please let me know what to do about it. I already have my Colt 70 Series at the smiths with some major custom work. So definitely not taking it to a smite as of yet. I owe some money there when it's done. Also, no sending it to Glock as of yet. I'm sure that turnaround time is ridiculous at this time.

As of now going to strap my SIG P220 or P226 (whichever calls to my soul in that moment) and see about what my brothers on here tell me to get my Glock fixed.

It's a really accurate gun. Conceals well for me and is very light weight.

So please no "sell it" comments. -__- I can already foresee those coming.

This was when I first got it. It was fine then. It's only 1,200+ rounds old now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA3PJ...3f-ZLmfrFLsqTQ
Old January 16, 2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Officer's Match

Any signs of plating coming off internals such as frame rails or the safety plunger-thingie? Yes, the Apex appears to be the best extractor going, but there are some Gen4's that Glock says are unfixable and should be replaced. I really love my Glocks, but right now they are Kimberizing themselves. I really hope they get their stuff together soon.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:53 PM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Any signs of plating coming off internals such as frame rails or the safety plunger-thingie?
Just looked, none whatsoever. :l

Quote:
Yes, the Apex appears to be the best extractor going, but there are some Gen4's that Glock says are unfixable and should be replaced
I've heard that exact same thing.. Hope this isn't..wait...If that's the case they just ask me to ship them this one and I get a new one right? I better get to before something happens that's already in the making...Legally -__-

Quote:
I really love my Glocks, but right now they are Kimberizing themselves. I really hope they get their stuff together soon.
Agreed. Sadly...All my others have been so reliable. I've had the 27 and the 34 also. They've been immaculate. The 17, 21, and 22.

I swear, my one Gen 4........
Old January 16, 2013, 10:16 PM   #4
Officer's Match

Anything look amiss with the extractor? Wear marks on it if removed? This really drives me nuts because I love the feel of the Gen4 grip.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:19 PM   #5
TunnelRat

A Glock with a problem? Impossible, "Perfection" has no flaws.

From what I've heard replacing the extractor is the best self fix if you don't want to send it in. I've ordered Apex parts before, for an M&P, and was very satisfied for what that's worth.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 16, 2013, 10:37 PM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer's Match View Post
Anything look amiss with the extractor? Wear marks on it if removed? This really drives me nuts because I love the feel of the Gen4 grip.
I know. Love the feel of the gen 4 a lot. I really like my 19 but darn...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358393627.529466.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1358393657.057886.jpg

As for the grip. I even loved it before I did this. Which I also love ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358393750.341565.jpg

SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P220 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power blue & stainless - Glock 17 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15 “Americans can no longer depend upon legislation to defend them from all who intend to do them harm.”
Old January 16, 2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Billy Shears

How long has it been since you replaced your recoil spring assembly? That can make a difference and it's cheap to fix.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:48 PM   #8
9mm

Is that a 22lr kit in the video? there was like no recoil. How do you hold it to make it such low recoil?

What ammo are you using? I never had a problem with my Glock 19 (EDC 2 years[almost 3]) 900 rounds ish.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:53 PM   #9
Officer's Match

Well, it is the MIM "dipped" extractor. I believe Glock has abandoned those. I'd give 'em a call.

eta: I noticed you use the medium backstrap, so effectively you have a Gen3 size grip.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:05 PM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

Threedogdad - that shouldn't be a problem at all. I highly doubt it's that.

9mm - lol no. That's 9mm. WWB. That's my training, so the recoil of 9mm is nonexistent to me. thanks

Officers match - yeah. I love the gen 4 grip. But the M back strap being off is way too small for my hands.

So it feels good with the M

I'm going I give Glock a call tomorrow. And see what happens with that. Maybe I can just send them my slide.

SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P220 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power blue & stainless - Glock 17 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15 “Americans can no longer depend upon legislation to defend them from all who intend to do them harm.”

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; January 16, 2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: OCD with putting names in bold. my app doesn't let me.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:34 PM   #11
Billy Shears

Quote:
Threedogdad - that shouldn't be a problem at all. I highly doubt it's that.

Well brother, you know your pistol better than I do. I just brought it up because I had a similar problem in a pistol of mine a while back. It had gone nearly 6,000 rounds without a spring change and the weakened spring allowed slide velocity to increase to the point that ejection trajectory changed and I was getting brass to the face like you. My extractor was fine and a quick spring change made a world of difference.

Anyway, good luck. Keep us up to date on your progress.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:54 PM   #12
Tactical Jackalope

Oh yeah lol that's different. 6,000! This ones a baby with over 1,200. Thanks for that input though. If this had been a .357SIG, .40S&W, or 10mm. I'd consider that greatly too though. But about 1k through a Glock in 9mm? I would hope it's not that.

Thanks brother, I'll post the solution here. Hope it's quick and upcoming.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:22 AM   #13
Officer's Match

FWIW, it would be a cheap wear-n-tear part to try, and eventually will be needed anyway.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:47 AM   #14
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
But about 1k through a Glock in 9mm? I would hope it's not that.
I would tend to agree.

It's worthwhile to Glock recoil springs at 5K rounds. The exceptions would be the pre-Gen4 Glocks in .40S&W which can benefit from having the springs changed as often as every 2500 rounds.

Glock has been through a few recoil springs and ejectors in the Gen4 G19 pistols.

The latest and greatest parts are the 30274 ejector and the 034 recoil spring assembly. If you don't have those, you can call Glock and they may send them to you at no charge.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:06 AM   #15
Dashunde

I havent read up on the details, but its absurd that many of their models are suddenly tossing brass all over... my G21 also spits it everywhere too.
The G21 and 19 have been in production for, what, 20 years? It should be all figured out by now... if it aint broke dont fix it.

At least my G27 has been perfect since shot-1
So has the 21 except for the brass thing, could be worse I guess... it doesnt hit my face so far.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:52 AM   #16
Ricklin

A neat little pile

Wow. I have always been impressed that my Gen 3 practically piles the brass in one place for me. It's kinda weird but very convenient.
Glad I don't have a gen 4.
Old January 17, 2013, 05:43 AM   #17
tristar viper

It is truly a shame what Glock did to that Gen 4 9mm. How could they screw some of them up so badly, to cause all the issues I read about?
Kimber-izing" is really starting to sound like a fitting term. Man....no Gen 4 for me. Maybe ANOTHER model of Gen 4 for me, but not a 19 at least.
Old January 17, 2013, 08:22 AM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358428638.128704.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358428671.749809.jpg

John, there we have it. :| good stuff apparently. I'm really starting to think its the extractor.

Also, it's clean as a whistle. I'm one of the OCD guys when it comes to cleaning a service weapon. Even a safe queen weapon. Detail strips always take place.

I'm on my phone now. I'll thoroughly read the other responses.

Old January 17, 2013, 09:34 AM   #19
TunnelRat

The Glock Gen 4 pistols in 40 SW I have owned/used have not exhibited the problem at all. Just an FYI. I have personally experienced the same issue with my own Gen 4 Glock 19.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 17, 2013, 11:19 AM   #20
gothcopter

Have you checked the fit of the extractor?

Slide an empty piece of brass up under the extractor and against the breechface in the slide, similar to how it would be positioned during the firing/extraction sequence. The extractor should hold the casing in place tight against the breechface. If the brass slips out easily, then your extractor is almost certainly to blame. If the brass is held tight, it still could be the extractor... or something else.

Have you recently changed ammo or something? Seems kind of strange that a problem like this would suddenly appear out of nowhere. My gen3 Glock 19 had sporadic ejection issues from day 1 until I installed the new-style ejector (which you already have). Since then I've had over 2,000 flawless rounds through it.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:28 PM   #21
TacticalDefense1911

Randy Lee, the owner of APEX Tactical did a write-up on the Glock issues a while back. Read this and it will help you better understand the Glock issues.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92447
Old January 17, 2013, 01:48 PM   #22
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
So please no "sell it" comments. -__- I can already foresee those coming.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 17, 2013, 03:11 PM   #23
theP8riot

I had the same problem with my Gen 3 19. Except mine was doing this right out of the box. I bought the gun new in Oct of last year. It had the "dipped" extractor and old style ejector. I used the lone wolf extractor and also tried the White Sound HRED. Neither of these worked for me and the Lone Wolf extractor actually made it worse.

Before I gave up I ordered the new style extractor and a gen 4 ejector and installed them into my Gen 3. That solved my issues %100. I have tested WWB, Georgia arms standard and +p, and the Winchester 9mm NATO. It all ejects fine now.
Old January 17, 2013, 03:30 PM   #24
Sheriff Gotcha

You should definitely sell it... to me... cause I can't find one of those around here to save my life!!!

Sorry I have nothing real to add to the thread as I don't know much about fixing gun problems yet, I'm still learning. It is a bit disconcerting to know the gun I was looking to make my EDC has problems.. I suppose an ejection issue is better than a failure to fire issue though.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:03 AM   #25
JohnKSa
Staff

If it's the extractor and it hasn't always done this, then you should be able to see visible wear or damage on the extractor.

It might be the spring assembly that tensions the extractor, but that's not a very common problem.

You could take off the slide cover plate and make sure that the little plastic button on the end of the spring is in good shape and that it's black. The spring should be stiff, and you should have to exert a decent amount of force to compress it enough to replace the cover plate.

While you've got it apart, you should check around the extractor to make sure that no debris has gotten wedged in or around the extractor to obstruct or limit its movement/operation.