The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old February 24, 2006, 11:08 PM   #1
Shotgun12

Delete Old Posts

Could I recommend something .... how about deleting the "For Sale, or Want to Buy" ads, that are more than a few months old - since most (or all), will be invalid anyway. It would save us all, much time, and save quite a bit of 'space'.
Thanks
Old February 25, 2006, 12:06 AM   #2
xrageofangelsx

+1, ya lazy bums!
Old February 25, 2006, 07:10 AM   #3
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

I like having the older "For Sale" threads as a reference when researching the value of something I have for sale or am interested in buying.

I don't know how it could save anybody time if the older threads were deleted. If you are searching the "For Sale" forums for a particular item, set the search parameters to "3 months ago" and "newer" to eliminate old threads from your search.

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old February 25, 2006, 02:57 PM   #4
Shotgun12

The problem is with those who aren't familiar with using these forums .... they will often "resurrect" an old thread from months, or years back, which will show up as "new". Sometimes I don't realize that I'm looking at a 3 year old post, until I've already read it .... I don't always remember to check the date on the darn things.
I've just found that it's a lot easier to look at the New Posts .... and not have to do a 'search', to look for items that may still for sale.
I know what you mean, about using them for reference .... could they be "archived" in some way?
Old February 25, 2006, 03:33 PM   #5
xrageofangelsx

Are prices of firearms 3 and 4 years ago really reflective of the worth of the same firearm today?

My guess would probably be no.
Old February 25, 2006, 10:44 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Shotgun12, your idea has merit, but so does TheBluesMan's reason for keeping them around. I would add to his reason the fact that the member who originally sold or bought an item here might want to see the thread at a later date for reasons of their own.

Instead of deleting the threads, I think a good compromise would be to close them to further posting. I do agree with you that having a 3 or 4 year old thread resurrected for no really good reason is annoying to say the least.

I'll see if closing the old threads is doable.
Old February 26, 2006, 06:27 AM   #7
tyme
Staff

There is a vbulletin mod installed that at least forces people to check a box when posting to an old (>30 days, currently) thread.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old February 26, 2006, 10:46 AM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Yep, and I think that helps a lot.

There is no easy way to mass close all the old threads within the normal tools available to us. We can close them a page full or two at a time, but that would take a long time and the problem is not so severe that it would be worth it.

We can mass delete them, but we don't want to do that. So we'll have to let it go and just ignore the few that threads that get resurrected.
Old February 26, 2006, 04:08 PM   #9
GlocksRfun

That check mark thing saved me a few times back when I had no clue.