The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 9, 2000, 02:10 AM   #1
house

I am looking into geting a good holster for a few of my handguns, but was wondering cowhide or Horsehide. is there a big diffrence in the both of them.
all i can see is the price horse seem to be more expencive.

First of all let me tell you my carry condishions. i carry about 15 days out of a month weather is mild (CA) not ruff so its easy on the gun and the holster. I job is a reserve officer. so i hardley get called on.
please give me your info on both of the leathers. thank you

House
Old March 9, 2000, 04:17 AM   #2
Bender

Hi house
I asked a similar questions a few weeks back and got mostly post that favored horsehide and a few for cow.

Horsehide: Thinner profile, and breaks-in faster. Some dispute over its ablity wear longer than cowhide.

Cowhide: Price (sometimes), appearance, availability, vegetable tanning process was designed for cow.

some quality leather shops (Rosen, Horse shoe) state no clear advantage of horsehide when compared to the best cowhide (A quality bends).

Try these sites for more info:
http://www.holsters-for handguns.com/which.htm
http://www.mitchrosen.com/q_s_a_s/q_s_a_s.html
Old March 9, 2000, 06:18 AM   #3
Rex Feral

Horsehide has a much thinner profile but does not seem to take the colored dyes as evenly as cowhide. I use IWB's exclusively so the slightly uneven color doesn't bother me. It seems to hold shape longer than cowhide if you get dunked or sweat profusely on it.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.
Old March 9, 2000, 03:21 PM   #4
DAVE MOON

The guys who say horse has no advantage over cow initially offered only cow. Kramer was the first to widely offer horse only. I know Mitch Rosen resisted horse for years but now offers it. There's a lot of "Professional Jealosy" amongst holstermakers. Both guys make great stuff, both cow and horse.

Horsehide is more expensive, rarer, and much harder to block or mold into shape. Cowhide does not last as long, but it will last a long time. Even if you carry daily, practice daily, it'll still last for many years. You'll probably end up getting a different gun, and thus a different holster before you wear it out. Horsehide WONT wear out, at least I haven't been able to.

My daily carry rig is a Kramer IWB (horse), on a Rosen belt (shark), with a Rosen mag pouch (cow). How's that for compromise!
Old March 9, 2000, 04:33 PM   #5
GI Loveguns

[QUOTE]Originally posted by house:
[B]I am looking into geting a good holster for a few of my handguns, but was wondering cowhide or Horsehide. is there a big diffrence in the both of them.
all i can see is the price horse seem to be more expencive.

First of all let me tell you my carry condishions. i carry about 15 days out of a month weather is mild (CA) not ruff so its easy on the gun and the holster. I job is a reserve officer. so i hardley get called on.
please give me your info on both of the leathers. thank you

I have been making concealment holsters for about ten years & I just recently got some horsehide. I haven't made any holsters with it yet, but I have made a belt. Horse is waaay more dense than cow & I think it will last longer. Another advantage of horse is that the "rough" side isn't very rough. This makes it easy on the finish of your pistol without the need for a lining. I intend to make myself a horsehide holster for my new Browning HP as soon as I get caught up on customer orders. I'll report back on how it goes when I get it done...
Chris Farrer-- proprietor of Custom Concealment Systems (and when I say custom, I mean custom. I don't have a "line" of holster models. I build 'em all to customer specs, so I don't keep anything in stock except leather & tools.)

------------------
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."Ecclesiastes 10:2
Old March 9, 2000, 04:46 PM   #6
Jeff OTMG

Since horse is more dense and stiffer it is harder to work. This is what adds to the price because I believe a high grade cowhide is more expensive than horsehide.
Old March 9, 2000, 07:47 PM   #7
Virginian1

Check out Andy Artoonian's website. The advantages of Horse over Cow hide are few. Why? Because the best cuts of horse leather are fewer and more expensive than the best cuts of cowhide. Most maker who advertise horsehide do not use the best cuts, and therefore the holster is so rigid that you could have bought Kydex and saved some bucks. Likewise, the best cuts of Cowhide, properly molded and treated by the best makers (Andy Artooninian) will retain their shape and secure the gun just as firmly as horsehide, and be more comfortable, at less cost. Horsehide does tend to be a bit thinner, but in a quality cowhide holster I doubt you will be able to tell much of a difference.

Virginian
Old March 11, 2000, 12:43 AM   #8
Mark W

Reading through the posts every has made some good observations. One thing that is not mentioned is that horse has a higher natural oil content. This combined with the tighter grain contribute to the moisture resistent properties of the hide. It is not water proof.

The horse hides I use are the same thickness as the cowhides.

Both hides block well and retain that shape.

Both are long lasting with proper care.

Horsehide resists salt staining from sweat.

Horsehide will break in faster.

I have not experienced any problems with uneven coloring of the hide.

If you wear your gun for extended periods where you are subject to periods of heavy physical activity or if you prespire heavily choose horse. For all other, cow will serve you well.

------------------
www.waldonholsters.com
Old March 11, 2000, 09:05 AM   #9
DAVE MOON

Aratoonian won't make a left hand holster. Damn, that ain't right.
Old March 11, 2000, 12:11 PM   #10
Mark W

Some folks also charge more for LH versions.

------------------
www.waldonholsters.com
Old March 11, 2000, 04:35 PM   #11
panzerfuehrer

Nice to see you here, Mark W.

Since you are too modest, I will shamelessly plug your product.

I own two of Mark W.'s custom Viper rigs in horsehide, and prefer them much over anything else I have in cow. I feel that the leather does stand up better, and therefore worth the small additional expense.
Check out his website.

------------------
Panzerführer

Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die Säue.

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't.
Old March 12, 2000, 03:27 PM   #12
Mark W

Thanks for the welcome and the plug panzerfuehrer.

------------------
www.waldonholsters.com