The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 4, 2010, 12:01 PM   #1
waynesan

1187 Problem

I have an 1187 Special Purpose that according to Remington was manufactured in 1989. I need a replacement piston and piston seal and Remington said I need the "old style" which they no longer manufacture.

I looked on Midway USA and they have a replacement that is labled "post 1986" which should work in my 1989 model. However the picture on Midway's site does not look exactly like mine. If the replacemnet from Midway is the "new style" will it work on mine which was made in 1989, even though Remington said I need the "old style?"

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old August 4, 2010, 06:09 PM   #2
zippy13

Brownells has the same pair of parts as Midway, but makes no reference to it being "post 1986". There are several iterations of the Piston/Piston Seal assembly (one and two piece) for the 1100 and 11-87. Part 200295 is the present ring set. Midway has a liberal return policy if they don't work.

I think it's more a case of how the rings (Piston and Piston Seal) react with each other than how they fit the mag tube, gas cylinder and the action bar sleeve. Did the folks at Remington say your gun requires the old style, no longer manufactured, Piston/Piston Seal or that the replacement part has been updated? I suspect it's the latter, else there would be Remington riots.

I'm not sure about your Special Purpose 11-87, but some of the magnums have a Barrel Seal Activator that's also a sort of ring. It goes between the Piston/Piston Seal assembly (the rings) and the Barrel Seal (the o-ring). The Barrel Seal Activator might be mistaken for the Piston/Piston Seal. Check your owners manual. If you don't have one, get a .pdf download from Remington.
Old August 4, 2010, 06:30 PM   #3
waynesan

Quote:
Did the folks at Remington say your gun requires the old style, no longer manufactured, Piston/Piston Seal or that the replacement part has been updated? I suspect it's the latter, else there would be Remington riots.
Yeah, that's exactly what she said. She even gave me the number to Numrich Arms because she said they have the "old style" that she said I needed. I looked on their website and they don't have either the old or new listed. So before I order one from Midway I wanted to be at least half-way sure that it would work.
Thanks for replying.
Old August 13, 2010, 12:44 PM   #4
waynesan

After not being able to determine exactly what to get for my 1187 I called Remington back and found out the first person I talked to was correct in stating that I needed the "old style" piston and piston seal, but was wrong in stating that Remington didn't make them anymore - They Do! So I ordered my replacement and got it in 4 days in the mail.
Old August 13, 2010, 01:39 PM   #5
rc

First of all what did you do to need a new "piston". That part should last indefinitely. As far as the seals go if they are O rings, there are a variety of o rings available for different purposes ranging from plumbing to tractor hydralics. Tractor supply carries lots of O rings. rc
Old August 18, 2010, 09:17 PM   #6
nutty ned

I use the new style in my old 11-87, no problems.

RC:
Either the piston or seal, both metal ring like things, will break off a chunk if you shoot enough 3" shells.
Old August 19, 2010, 03:12 AM   #7
zippy13

Now I'm confused: if the new rings (Piston and Piston Seal) are for "post 1986" guns as noted by Midway, then wouldn't that cover all 11-87s since they were introduced the following year? It seems to me, the only folks who need to be concerned are the owners of older 1100s.
Old August 19, 2010, 10:17 AM   #8
huntingwithdaughters

I have a piston and piston seal that you can have

It is a good, used set from my old 1187

PM me with your address
Old September 2, 2010, 09:42 PM   #9
waynesan

PM sent!
Old September 2, 2010, 09:45 PM   #10
waynesan

Quote:
First of all what did you do to need a new "piston".
There was a very small square piece of metal broken off on the piston. A friend of mine had the same thing happen to his. I really couldn't tell that it effected the function of the gun but I didn't want to take a chance on it failing when I needed it.