The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 9, 2013, 03:31 AM   #1
Slugo

a pair of Franchi Affinities...

the 20 gauge and the 12. I originally bought the 20, liked the gun so much I decided last week I also needed the 12. The Affinity is built by the parent company Benelli, and on the same production line. Almost the same gun as the Benelli M2 with the exception of the recoil spring location. The 20 is a dream to carry in the field at only 5.5 pounds. The 12 is a pound more and also doubles as a competent clay target gun. Retail is $850 which makes it 2/3 the price of its Benelli counterpart.

Both keepers--there is absolutely nothing at its price-point that compares...

Old November 9, 2013, 04:03 PM   #2
BigJimP

I hope they both continue to meet or exceed all your expectations !
Old November 10, 2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Virginian

Man, you have really fallen in love with those things. I found the stepped rib a little distracting, but that's just me. I agree, if one likes the inertia action, I can't see any reason to spend hundreds more just to get a 'B' gun. Unless of course you have to have the "total image", complete with face camo, a scruffy beard, and you carry your dead birds hung around your neck - that one really gets me. The ones I have looked at appear to be every bit as well made as their more expensive cousins, and I can't stand those two piece stocks on the B guns.
Old November 10, 2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Slugo

Virginian, I'm really happy with the guns. Breakdown and cleaning takes a whole 5 minutes. Low recoil and they point like a laser. Total actual cost for both, $1300!!
Old November 10, 2013, 03:33 PM   #5
BigJimP

Oh, come on now....lets not pick on Benelli ... !!

....( I'm really fond of my Benelli Super Sport models !! ).....
( the marketing stuff is another story ...)...
Old November 10, 2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Virginian

I am not saying Benelli doesn't build good guns; they surely do. Most of them just aren't my style. I must be honest, while it does not appeal to me, I think their marketing group are geniuses. They have built a cult like following.
Old November 11, 2013, 01:13 PM   #7
BigJimP

I value Slugo's opinion on the Franchi's ....because I know he'll be honest, over time, on any issues he has with his guns...

Beretta of course is the parent company for both Benelli and Franchi...and it looks to me like they're letting both Benelli and Franchi do their own thing...and find their respective niche in the market...

I don't think there is any way to really know how many parts the Franchi and Benelli really share.../ their inertia actions look similar ...but I don't know if they're identical or not ( I tend to think they are not )...
Old November 11, 2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Slugo

I actually don't believe any parts are interchangeable between the Franchi and the Benelli. Benelli would be stupid to allow that IMHO. But pull the innards out of each gun and you can see the distinct similarities, workmanship, fit and finish. The way Franchi is keeping the price down is limiting the number of models and options.

I own both Benelli and Franchi, time will tell if the Franchi stays in the same lane. One big plus for the Franchi is the bumper to bumper 7 year warranty. Benelli is only 1 year. We shall see.
Old November 12, 2013, 03:50 AM   #9
Orphanedcowboy

I ordered the daughter a 20ga Affinity compact yesterday and I bought 20ga for myself off of another forum. I have shot them and promised myself the next new gun would be an Affinity.

Slugo, I hold you personally responsible. ;-)
Old November 12, 2013, 05:52 AM   #10
Virginian

I think they are both having the barrels made in Turkey, or so I heard somewhere. I am not saying that's a bad thing. As long as it is not made in the U.S., I don't know it makes much difference where else. (but be real careful of any Chinese bolts !) Weatherby and Dickinson are proof that the Turks can build a heck of a gun if whoever is ordering them has a stringent set of specs and holds them to it. With some autos around the $2,000 mark, anything that helps hold the prices down without sacrificing quality is a good thing.
Old November 12, 2013, 08:27 AM   #11
Slugo

The barrels are not made in Turkey and the bolts are not Chinese. Where do you come up with this stuff. The Affinity is made in Italy by Benelli. The only barrel made in Turkey that appears on an Italian gun is the Beretta 3901 and it's marked "Stoeger-Made in Turkey"...
Old November 12, 2013, 08:37 AM   #12
Slugo

Orphanedcowboy, happy to hear you like your Affinity. Me too...
Old November 12, 2013, 10:29 AM   #13
Slugo

the 12 bore!!

Old November 21, 2013, 06:04 PM   #14
rcase1234

That's it! I gotta have one
Old December 3, 2013, 11:05 AM   #15
JNad

I drank the Kool-Aid. I shot three stations of sporting clays with my buddy's Affinity. Now, I want one.

I love my Remington 11-48. Until last Saturday, nothing has ever pointed more naturally than the 11-48 for me. The Affinity did, and had no other bad qualities to make me NOT want one.

Coming soon, to a gun safe near me - The Affinity.
Old December 3, 2013, 11:27 AM   #16
Slugo

like me, I've owned a ton of various autos, but now just two Affinities. No need to look any further IMHO...
Old December 3, 2013, 07:00 PM   #17
BigJimP

Wait a minute..... are we to understand ...that our buddy Slugo....will not ever look at another shotgun...???

---------------

I'll believe it - as soon as I can believe in the Easter Bunny....and that the Easter Bunny lays eggs....
Old December 3, 2013, 07:15 PM   #18
Slugo

BJP--LOLOL! As we speak, I'm thinking about the new XLR5-LR Velocity, 30". Don't like the adjustable rib model, too bulky. Do like the LR model with fixed low rib. Dandy gun, I spent a day with one...

Old December 4, 2013, 11:41 AM   #19
BigJimP

I knew it .... !!

Have fun with the process buddy.... !
Old December 4, 2013, 07:39 PM   #20
Orphanedcowboy

Well, there is a 12ga on it's way to Texas from Northern Firearms, $669 shipped. If it is anything like the 20ga, I know where several Beretta shotguns will be gathering dust.