The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 22, 2012, 10:58 AM   #1
diceman3

Accidental discharge in Florida home?

I've been reading a thread and see clearly the problems with firing in public or on private property where it may endanger someone in a gated community with nearby homes. I've always wondered about this question:

Question: What if a private home owner in a gated community is cleaning his pistol and, from inside his home accidentally discharges a round that just causes some damage to an internal wall, and no one is injured?

If someone calls the police to report hearing a gun go off, and someone comes to your house and you tell them that you had an accidental discharge, is that against the law in Florida?
Old January 22, 2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Sparks1957

Ooops, sounds like you or someone you know has had this happen to them. What are you or they doing cleaning a weapon without clearing it first??

Don't know about the legal aspects, but I would hope you or they don't test the waters again.
Old January 22, 2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Stealthcarry

Don't answer the door.
Old January 22, 2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Sparks1957

Quote:
Don't answer the door.
Probably not a wise idea. If the cops are responding to a report of a gunshot, and you don't answer the door, they'll probably think it's a possible suicide, murder, or murder/suicide scenario and respond accordingly.

Prevention is the best cure.
Old January 22, 2012, 11:47 AM   #5
MLeake

An accidental discharge rarely happens during cleaning; negligent discharges are too common during cleaning.

Normally, "accidental discharges" are defined as having been caused by either mechanical malfunction of the weapon, or an external factor.

If the trigger is manipulated while a round is chambered, that's not accidental, that's negligent.

If somebody is carrying a weapon with a chambered round, and finger on the trigger, and he falls and the weapon discharges, that's negligent - finger should not have been on the trigger.

If somebody is carrying a weapon with a chambered round, in a normal carry mode for that weapon, and he falls, and the weapon's safeties don't work for some reason, that would be accidental.
Old January 22, 2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Don H

Generally, ordinances addressing the discharge of a firearm within city limits are at the city or county level, rather than a state law. Two neighboring municipalities can have very different laws regarding this issue; some may not even have laws regarding this while other municipalities may regulate down to the slingshot or BB gun level.

In other words, you need to determine what the law is for where you live in Florida.

Another issue: Many, if not all, gated communities have HOAs that may take exception to the discharge of firearms within its borders and financial penalties may be leveled by the HOA.
Old January 22, 2012, 01:52 PM   #7
diceman3

Accidental discharge in Florida home?

Ok, now we know the difference between accidental and negligent discharge, makes sense. Ok, so now it's not accidental, but negligent, question is still on the table, if negligent discharge happens in your home, stays within walls, and no one is injured. Anyone know the legal answer?
In Florida, state law prevails over any local, municipal, city laws on gun laws since 2005, and only talks to public discharges to guns and schools, etc. So far I haven't seen a legal answer to the question. Certainly agree that it's smart to answer the door!
Old January 22, 2012, 02:27 PM   #8
MLeake

You are correct, Florida has state preemption on firearms, and seems to have started putting non-compliant municipalities on notice.
Old January 22, 2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Glenn Dee

Turn up the T.V. real loud on a cowboy show... Apologize to the officers for the false alarm and invite them in for a glass of iced tea
Old January 22, 2012, 05:30 PM   #10
g.willikers

But turn on the exhaust fan, first.
Old January 22, 2012, 07:54 PM   #11
maestro pistolero

"I heard it too, officer. Have you figured out where it came from yet?"
Old January 22, 2012, 08:30 PM   #12
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro pistolero
"I heard it too, officer. Have you figured out where it came from yet?"

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 22, 2012, 10:34 PM   #13
Tom Servo
Staff

I imagine lying or trying to hide what happened would be worse than simply admitting it. Assuming no tangible harm was done to anyone else, or to their property, the worst punishment would likely be a citation.

...and, hopefully, a lesson learned.
Old January 23, 2012, 11:34 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

An interior ND that does not exit the house isn't likely to attract much attention at the time of the event. If the house has much of a yard, what sound that does escape the house (assuming windows are not open) is going to be difficult to hear. There will be a muffled 'wump' sound that people outside will be unlikely to identify as being a gun shot noise. As the sound well be transmitted outside from various areas of the house, folks will likely have difficulty knowing or recognizing that the sound came from your house versus coming from somewhere behind your house, though a person on your front porch would certainly know the sound came from inside.

As noted, turn on the exhaust fan and open a couple of windows to allow fresh air in and the smokey air to go away. You don't need to be breathing that.

I would likely grab a picture from elsewhere in the house and immediately hang it over the hole until which time I could patch it myself and repaint. This was the method I used when I drove the head of a hammer into my wall. The hole is still there and we have a very nice picture hanging in our laundry room.
Old January 23, 2012, 11:52 AM   #15
csmsss

It is against the law to lie to a police officer in the course of his duties. If you ND in your home and a popo comes a callin', you'll be breaking the law if you deny it. You can, of course, decline to answer his questions, at the risk of him assessing that your noncooperation now gives him PC to believe a crime has been committed (in the context of why he was called to the scene, of course). So, the best course of action is to behave with a modicum of judgment and intelligence, because if you do, a negligent discharge is impossible.

People who claim that a gun discharged accidentally/negligently while they were cleaning it or showing it to someone else are either liars or gravely intellectually challenged.
Old January 23, 2012, 12:44 PM   #16
Musketeer

With areas introducing shot spotter technology they may know within 5 feet where it came from. The tech may only be present in high crime areas now but like all govt surveillance you can expect rapid expansion.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old January 23, 2012, 01:31 PM   #17
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
With areas introducing shot spotter technology they may know within 5 feet where it came from. The tech may only be present in high crime areas now but like all govt surveillance you can expect rapid expansion.
Shot spotter doesn't work for indoor discharges. Once again, the problem is that the structure of the home will significantly dampen/muffle the sound. Whereas an open air pistol shot might be heard in excess of a mile, certainly many hundreds of yards, gun shots fired inside a closed home may produce sound that only travels 10s of yards. Even then, if the shot occurs in the front of the home, it may not be noted by a person outside and behind the home.

Quote:
Sound waves from a gunshot reach each sensor at a different time, allowing for triangulation. Police officials said the system is precise, with a margin of error of about 5 yards, but isn't designed for indoor shootings.
http://www.shotspotter.com/news-and-...calif-cops-say
Old January 23, 2012, 02:49 PM   #18
Musketeer

The system will improve over the next decade in the interest of "public safety". I fully expect a system listening for "key words" within 20...

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old January 23, 2012, 03:25 PM   #19
Tom Servo
Staff

Nobody mention Carnivore, please
Old January 23, 2012, 03:55 PM   #20
icedog88

Quote:
People who claim that a gun discharged accidentally/negligently while they were cleaning it or showing it to someone else are either liars or gravely intellectually challenged.

Not always. Now it wasn't being cleaned but, the process would be the same as if he was going to clean it.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475613
Old January 23, 2012, 04:25 PM   #21
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The system will improve over the next decade in the interest of "public safety". I fully expect a system listening for "key words" within 20...
Sorry, I thought we were talking about currently used technology. Speculation about what may be used in the future is just that, speculation.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:28 PM   #22
csmsss

Icedog, the event you linked is analagous to the circumstances which PRECEDE cleaning a firearm, and which could not possibly occur while it was being cleaned if any safety precautions have been taken.
Old January 23, 2012, 05:10 PM   #23
maestro pistolero

Quote:
You can, of course, decline to answer his questions, at the risk of him assessing that your noncooperation now gives him PC to believe a crime has been committed (in the context of why he was called to the scene, of course).
It is well established that exercising one's 5th amendment right does not create PC or RS.

Quote:
It is against the law to lie to a police officer in the course of his duties.
It is not against the law to lie to a police officer. Lying to a federal agent, on the other hand . . . well, ask Martha Stewart.
Old January 23, 2012, 06:37 PM   #24
icedog88

Csmsss in order to clean the gun, you must first disassemble it no? I consider that cleaning my gun. You are quibbling over semantics.
Old January 23, 2012, 07:02 PM   #25
diceman3

It seems that "icedog88" comments, and the link that he placed in his post, and the accompanying posts are the most comprehensive conversation about an AD and an ND. Unfortunately, if you have read all the posts have If you've read akk thread thus far, you'll not thus far, no one has really stated any firm legal answer to the question.
Consequently, my "bet" with someone regarding the subject will probably not be decided on the forum. Glad someone had the knowledge about probable cause issue, and mistaken idea that it was illegal to lie to police questions, and only applies to federal agents.
Hopefully no one on the forum gets in the position and needs to know the answer.