The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 22, 2009, 10:34 PM   #1
jal5

Ruger Mark II and my wife at the range today

After several attempts to get my wife to join me at the public shooting range, today it was a beautiful spring-like day and she agreed to go. I gave her all the necessary safety instructions and had her shoot my 22lr from a good rest at a 10 yd target. She did quite well for the first time ever firing a pistol and seemed to enjoy it! On the second target I gave her some advice to obtain a better sight picture but she actually shot better at the first target! So much for my advice I guess. But we had a good time and I think she may do it again- who knows she may surprise us both and want her very own Ruger! The only thing that bothered her was that the range was a little crowded and the two women and older gentleman shooting 380s and 45 autos next to us unnerved her...not unlike how many of us were the first time at the range. She had good hearing protection on so I didn't worry about that. We will see, maybe a new shooter was born today.
Joe
Old March 23, 2009, 04:47 PM   #2
djc7

Good to hear! My wife is slowly but surely getting more comfortable with the idea of firearms and even mentioned to me just last night that she is considering letting me teach her how to shoot. This would make me feel a LOT better considering we might have to live apart for a few months later this year.
Old March 23, 2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Don P

Glad to here the wife enjoyed her trip and the 22. I got lucky and the wife is almost as big a gun nut as me. She carries a G36 daily and she's dam good with it.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 24, 2009, 10:15 AM   #4
jal5

I think we will just concentrate on having fun on these "range dates." Maybe an afternoon at the range followed by a meal at a restaurant or even shopping, so we mix what I like to do and what she likes to do! I just got approved for membership in a private gun club here so that will be even better for her, less crowded and more selections of targets, etc. Plus there is at least one other couple we know from work who shoot at this club so she would get some encouragement.

Its worth a try to get our wives involved, since we spend so much time with this hobby it would be great if they would get into it too.

Joe
Old March 24, 2009, 10:21 AM   #5
mrray13

not just our wives/ husbands (for the ladies here), but our kids too! i don't know how many pics we have of all of us shooting. it's a great day when we do that, followed up with a meal somewhere and then the boy and me stripping everything down to clean. she's a bit more recoil sensitive, so she shys away from the .50 cal muzzleloader with 150gr charges in it, lol, but don't let her get ahold of the ruger mkIII or the s&w model 17. she'll eat every 22 round we have there, lol.

again, shooting is one of the best ways, IMHO, to get and keep the family together. not too mention, if the spouse is involved, buying guns and gun stuff gets a whole lot easier!