The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 22, 2022, 10:47 AM   #1
Snyperx

New to 3-Gun and Buying My First Rig

Decided I want to explore 3-gun shooting. I will be fielding a M&P 9mm, Mossberg 500, and a self built AR-15. I am currently working on getting my first belt rig and have pieced together a Blade-Tech setup for about $180. I have pistol holster, 2 pistol mags, 2 Safariland shotgun shell holsters and a Magpul MagLink for my AR mags. Am I missing anything that would prevent me from starting out? TIA!!
Old April 26, 2022, 11:23 PM   #2
HJ857

Hard to say not knowing the typical stage course of fire. In the events I've run I'd say you need four more pistol mags and another shotgun shell holder. Add a dump pouch too. Sometimes you may need to run birdshot, buckshot and slugs all in one stage.

It may look cool to drop your mags into the dirt, or mud, but in reality it isn't smart at all.

A belt rig may not be enough, or maybe a belt rig combined with pants with large cargo pockets.

The best thing is to go to a match just to observe and talk to competitors. It's easy to waste money on things that don't work or aren't needed, and even worse to need something you hadn't considered previously.