The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 21, 1999, 09:19 PM   #1
J.P. Gonzalez

Recently purchased a Mossberg 590A1,it seems to be a fine defensive shotgun. Does anyone manufacture a replacement front sight that would fit the factory dovetail and has a Tritium dot? This seems to be the only modifcation I need to make. Thanks JPG
Old November 23, 1999, 05:20 PM   #2
MegaDeathZ

try www.mossberg.com
Old November 28, 1999, 11:26 PM   #3
DCV

J. P. ,

is this the model that has the metal trigger group and the heavy barrel?

I wondered if you had to special order it, since its a law enforcement model

have you done any slug shooting with it?

how much does it run?

thanks
DCV
Old November 30, 1999, 04:05 PM   #4
J.P. Gonzalez

DVC
I picked it up at a gunshow in the Houston AstroHall this month (Nov). Price, and tax came out to $400 even. It was Sunday afternoon and I made an offer. This is the Mossberg 590A1 military model,parkerized, 20" bbl, extended mag, metal everything with ghost sights.

I think I found suppliers for the front sight. Vang lists a trit. sight for ~$60, and PT sights quoted ~$42 for a front sight but I would have to send it in for them to install.

Haven't shot it yet, been on shift and the holidays have been keeping me busy. But I ordered some Fed. H132 00 buck and Estate Tac. 00 buck from Natchez Supply and I am going to the range this week. I keep looking for some Fed Tac. Slug or the Rem. Low Recoil stuff. JPG
Old December 1, 1999, 08:04 PM   #5
TVDean

I was interested in the front tritium sight also. I think I'll wait a little for someone to make one specifically for our scattergun.

The 590a1 is military spec., not LEO spec.

It handles slugs great.

I have installed the Surefire tac-light housing. I recommend it, I had to remove the bayonet lug though.
Old December 14, 1999, 06:20 PM   #6
Spyderman

Too bad... Surefire just released a new housing that fits the 590/590A-1 and clears the lug. Not a huge loss, since I doubt many folks ever use the lug for anything, but with all the legislation surrounding cosmetic features like the bayonet lugs, having one on your pumpgun is kinda neat from a collectors point of view. If anyone is interested, ASPI just got there first batch of these new surefire units about a week ago or so.
Old December 14, 1999, 08:21 PM   #7
Ewok

I bought some Fed Tac Slug from www.ammoman.com - last I heard Federal was cutting him off for so-called law enforcement ammo, so I hope he still has some.

BTW, Hans Vang has the 6-shot 18.5in. 590A1 in stock, and on sale. I have one with the porting and back-boring mods. Shoots the Fed Tac ammo very nicely.
------------------
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!

[This message has been edited by Ewok (edited December 14, 1999).]
Old December 15, 1999, 01:58 PM   #8
dZ

http://www.mmcsight.com/mmcghost.html

in case the 590 is not scarry enough
i recommend one of these! http://www.mlode.com/~shotgun/
doesn't fit the a1 thou...

dZ
Old December 16, 1999, 12:39 PM   #9
J.P. Gonzalez

Thanks for all the replies. I did shoot the Fed Tac buck and the Estate Tac buck both did great. The edge went to the Estate - surprised me. The Fed stuff sort of followed the 1 inch per yard group rule. All in less than a 6 1/2" circle @ 7 yds. The Estate grouped all in a 3" circle @ 7 yds but grew out to 30" at 25, still ok. I had some strong winds but it shouldn't have affected the close in stuff. Look to try the Fed slugs in the near future. JPG
Old December 19, 1999, 04:05 AM   #10
aztec777

I installed the Sage International sights on my 590. The front tritium insert has 3 elevation adjustments and the rear is a Williams peep with protective ears. Brownell's has these sights. Very well made and have proven extremely durable.

Steve
Old December 22, 1999, 06:22 PM   #11
TVDean

Checkout this new front site from Meprolite!!

I called and left a message to find out if it will fit our 590 A1's......

387-400-500 Mossberg Night Sight $52.00

NIGHT SIGHTS
MEPROLIGHT® SHOTGUN http://www.brownells.com/Product/index.asp

"......Always On For Low Light Visibility
Rugged, all steel construction with high visibility tritium inserts provide optimum sight definition in low light conditions. Front and rear sights have their own tritium source. Constant light level, not affected by weather; maintenance free. Warranted for five years.
SPECS: Blued steel with tritium inserts. M1 Benelli has post front and ghost ring rear. Fits M1 and M3 Ghost Ring. Tactical Benelli fits M1 Tactical M and Practical. Remington fits guns originally equipped with rifle sights. Mossberg has front post only, fits M500 and M590......."

[This message has been edited by TVDean (edited December 22, 1999).]
Old December 23, 1999, 12:04 PM   #12
TVDean

I talked to Brownells this morning, he wasn't sure if the sight was made for the heavyu bbl 590's.

I decided to call Hesco (Meprolite). They informed me that the front sight will indeed fit our beloved 590A1's. YES!!