The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 31, 2011, 04:52 PM   #26
Chris_B

Quote:
Okay, so obviously the re-blueing hurts the value, which I was aware of.

Does the gun have any monetary value at all, or just a nice paper weight?

I realize the historical value, just curious if it's worth anything at all???
Of course it's worth something

My Soviet re-blued 1944 Spreewerk P.38 was 525 bucks and worth each penny. On yours, the fact that it's a desirable AC code, it's numbers matching, and in nice shape with good grips cannot be sponged away by the re-blue
Old September 3, 2011, 01:34 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Nice gun. Not imported post war (no import stamp), so the story of a WWII bringback is likely true. Apparently refinished, which might have been done during the war, but more likely happened some time after.

These guns used to go for about $350, but are now in the $450-500 range, with some even higher. One local shop had a beautiful example, complete with correct dated holster and wanted $900! Trouble was, the gun had been nickeled! Rediculous price for the refinished gun. Sat there for months, then was gone. Somebody with more money than brains must have bought it.

I have an ac42, but it has import markings. Bluing is in good shape, brown grips in good shape, matching numbers even. Paid $350 at a gun show about half a dozen years ago. Before the value of the dollar went in the crapper. Same gun today, about $100 more, give or take.

A couple of things you need to know, first, the gun ejects to the LEFT! Not critical, but surprising when you don't expect it.

More important, the Walther safety/decocker system has been known to fail. It doesn't happen often, but it can, and has happened. Old parts do break sometimes. If it happens, the gun will fire! ALWAYS point it in a safe direction when decocking on a live round!

Enjoy that piece of history, and respect it for what it was, and is. The first DA service autopistol, some folks get all hung up in its Nazi past. The P.38 armed all Germany's forces, replacing the P.08 (Luger) as standard issue. Lots of people are looking for WWII guns, from all sides, so if you want to sell it, you should have no trouble.
Old September 6, 2011, 02:09 PM   #28
KBM1

Unfortunately the gun is reblued, but it is still an AC 42. The area near the trigger pin is not reinforced as in later models. This is a nice early type pistol. A collector may want it to fil a gap in a collection. I'd estimate it $400 to $500 even for a reblue. Holster is a G.I. or post war cut down, more an interesting curio and has no real value. The AC42 usually saw some heavy service in the war and it's difficult to find them in nice condition. The later 1944 and 1945 production pistols saw less use (due to the end of the war) can be found in better condition.