The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 5, 2002, 01:24 PM   #1
O/U

Goose hunting tip that really works

I have been goose hunting for more years than I care to tell you, but here is a tip I can share that really works. About a week after opening day take one dek or one robo goose if you have one, and set it up at your favorite spot. Place it buy its self either in the water or in a field where the geese fly over. When a single flys over, call in a low gutteral call just loud enough for it to hear you. Since geese mate for life that single prob. lost its mate and it spends most of its time trying to find it. As soon as it responds or starts to come back get off the call and wait. It also has worked for me even when a large group flys over because there is usually 1 if not more singles in the group. Most of the time they will brake away from the group and drop down to see even when the rest fly off. Even if other hunters have big spreads get off away from them and try your single out. I have used this on public land where it is like a war zone and it will work. Give it a try.
O/U
Old August 5, 2002, 02:03 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Thankee, sir! Little tips like this make a difference, for sure.

Art
Old August 5, 2002, 02:53 PM   #3
Poodleshooter

That's a great tip, but somewhat depressing. Widowed geese dying for love

I'll be jump shooting as usual, using Kent Fasteel this year. Never owned a decoy, as thankfully resident geese are stupid.

Our season starts September 2nd. I can't wait!
Old August 5, 2002, 05:20 PM   #4
ATTICUS

Poodleshooter: Look at it as reuniting the lovelorn.
Old August 5, 2002, 07:48 PM   #5
12-34hom

Great tip, the goose population here has exploded over the past 10 years.

Thanks for the info, i will try it later this year.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old August 5, 2002, 11:18 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

Wow.
Slapping head.
How utterly logical.

Thanks O/U

Sam
Old August 6, 2002, 01:42 AM   #7
SteelyDan

Interesting. We usually do the same calls for a singleton as for a group, and the results are nothing to brag about either way, but I can see the logic. The only problem is, if we can set out 50 decoys, why should we just set out one? But maybe for those times when the decoys aren't forward-deployed, it's worthwhile bringing one along. Gotta think about this a little. Thanks for the tip.