The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 20, 2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Panfisher

.223 Rem and Barnes TSX Load

Getting ready to work up a load for my .223 (either a NEF Handi Rifle or my Rem R-15) with Barnes TSX 55 grain bullets. Barnes website didn't have any data for BLC-2 but a comparison check with their loads of H335 looks like about a grain of powder less, sooo I'm thinking about 26.5 grains of BLC-2 for a start and look for pressure signs, don't expect any. Only have 50 of the bullets and plan to use them on deer (shots to be chosen with care). I know the X bullets like speed and want to stay on the upper end of the safe spectrum. Anyone have any experience with the TSX + .223 Rem + BLC-2 powder, or a favorite load with a different powder even. Have loaded the older Barnes XBT's in a couple of calibers but this is my first run with .224 X's and the newer TSX's.
Old December 21, 2013, 06:44 AM   #2
steve4102

Quote:
I'm thinking about 26.5 grains of BLC-2 for a start
And your 26.5gr "Start" load would be .5gr Over Max according to Hodgdon.
Old December 21, 2013, 07:35 AM   #3
PawPaw

I think I'd give Barnes a call before I started experimenting on the top end of the spectrum. That's not a common "cup and core" bullet and I'm not really sure what the implications might be.

I'm not saying don't experiment, I'm saying that you should do so carefully, after due consideration of all the implications, and after due diligence of what might go wrong, and with full understanding that you're in uncharted waters.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 21, 2013, 07:45 AM   #4
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw
I think I'd give Barnes a call before I started experimenting on the top end of the spectrum. That's not a common "cup and core" bullet and I'm not really sure what the implications might be.
Hodgdon has actual Pressure Tested data with the Barnes 55gr TSX bullet.
Old December 21, 2013, 08:09 AM   #5
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102
Hodgdon has actual Pressure Tested data with the Barnes 55gr TSX bullet.
I see that now. When the OP said he couldn't find data, I assumed he had gone to the Hodgdon website. My bad.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 21, 2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Panfisher

And correct you are. Here is how stupid I feel right now, I have the Hodgdon Website as one of my favorites, even linked it in another post but didn't check it, I checked Barnes Website, doh!!. You are correct that the 26.5 is a half grain over their published max load, I will reduce the planned load and see what happens. Thanks for pointing out my glaring failure to notice the elephant in my own living room. Gotta go print the Hodgdon Page out now.