The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 24, 2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Fleas

Crossbow is a "firearm" in Parma, OH

This story seems ridiculous, but I am still sorting out the in's and the out's. In Ohio, if you are hunting deer on your own property with a crossbow during deer hunting season, you are legal (I think!). The city seems to have different rules. I am anxious to see how this case resolves.

http://www.cleveland.com/parma/index...er_with_c.html

http://fox8.com/2013/01/09/man-arres...r-in-backyard/

The story suggests that if you even practice archery in your backyard, you are in violation of city ordinances.

-F
Old January 24, 2013, 12:58 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

Crossbows aren't considered "firearms" by the city's ordinances - it's just that the same ordinance that prohibits discharging a firearm also prohibits discharging an arrow, or a projectile from a sling:

672.14 of the Parma, OH municipal code:

(a) Except as provided in subsections (c) and (d) hereof, no person shall discharge any BB gun, air gun, rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol or other firearm, or make use of any sling or arrow, within the corporate limits of the Municipality.

(b) No person shall, intentionally and without malice, point or aim a firearm at or toward another or discharge a firearm so pointed or aimed.

(c) This section does not extend to cases in which firearms, slings or arrows are used in self-defense, in the discharge of official duty or in justifiable homicide.

(d) This section does not extend to cases in which BB guns and other air guns, or slings or arrows, are used in the confines of dwellings, provided such use is under adult supervision and is approved by the Chief of Police.

(e) Whoever violates any of the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree and shall be subject to the penalty provided in Section 698.02.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Fleas

Thanks for digging that up.

I had read about a "projectile law", but I didn't have time to find the citation.

Unfortunately for that guy, according to the story, he was in fact charged with discharge of a firearm.
I know he should be charged with something beyond illegal hunting, but the story is probably mis-leading.

As kids, in Parma, OH, we shot about a million BB's, marbles, ball bearings, stones, arrows, darts, rockets, spears, javelins, boomerangs, tennis balls, apples... heck, we even played Jarts!

I guess we should all be put away for a long time.

-F
Old January 25, 2013, 11:01 AM   #4
ScottRiqui

Quote:
As kids, in Parma, OH, we shot about a million BB's, marbles, ball bearings, stones, arrows, darts, rockets, spears, javelins, boomerangs, tennis balls, apples... heck, we even played Jarts!

I guess we should all be put away for a long time.
Oh, no kidding. Some of the things we did as kids would put us on a "watch list" of some sort today.

As for the story, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some confusion, and someone mistakenly took "he was charged under the 'discharging a firearm' statute" to mean that he had discharged an actual firearm, since it's all covered under the same law.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:22 AM   #5
MLeake

This is why I live out in the sticks.

No city ordinances; no HOA rules; ALL my neighbors shoot and most hunt.

Any given day, there are good odds of hearing gunfire around here. The local postmaster asks for opinions on which are the best carry guns. (Can't carry at his office, but that isn't his fault.)

Edit: This incident could have been worse... look at the kid in Florida who was charged with assault with a deadly weapon because the paper wad with which he had hit another kid, using a homemade slingshot, had raised a welt. Leesburg, I think....

Last edited by MLeake; January 25, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:53 PM   #6
pnolans

Crossbow is considered a firearm here in Colorado as well.

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my soon to come bumper sticker.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:07 AM   #7
shortwave

Not at all unusual to have city ordinances in most states that vary from the rural areas. Many of these city ordinances will not only include archery equip. but things such as air soft guns., slingshots and even homemade things such as potato guns....

...ask me how I know on the last one.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:49 AM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

I used to live in a city in TX that had a city ordinance that stated shooting an airgun in city limits would result in the offender being issued a citation for discharging a firearm in city limits.