The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 31, 2012, 10:34 AM   #1
blackhawk8

.380 Auto Dies

Getting ready to reload some .380 Auto.. Could I get some recomendations on some good dies.. Thanks
Old October 31, 2012, 11:03 AM   #2
GlenF

380 dies

I use Dillon dies. If you use a progressive press the curved entry into the Dillon dies is a good feature. If you single stage reload that feature would not be important.

Other Dillon features would be they are made of stainless, so rust is not an issue. And the famous Dillon no BS warranty.

I have used other brands in the past, but I really like Dillon stuff. It's blue cool-aid for me.
Old October 31, 2012, 12:59 PM   #3
amamnn

I could not find any valid reason to spend more money on my .380 die set than would pay for Lee dies. This is not much of a competition cartridge; the only time I ever shot my .380 in a match was a pocket pistol bowling pin comedy. It's not much of a carry gun either.
Old October 31, 2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Sevens

I've loaded thousands of .380 with the simple 3-die Lee set. For the most part, I've loaded the Berry's 100gr plated flat-base bullet over a charge of Power Pistol or Bullseye. I'd also trust Universal for these. Fine results.
Old October 31, 2012, 02:18 PM   #5
schnarrgj

Second Sevens. The only difference is that I use 231. Love the Berry 100gr.
Old October 31, 2012, 04:48 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Lee expander dies annoy me. Clunk-clunk-kachunk. Clunk-clunk-kachunk. Over, and over, and over.....

But, they get the job done, if you don't want to pay a little more for RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, etc.
Old October 31, 2012, 05:22 PM   #7
hodaka

I load my .380's, few that I do, with Lee dies.
Old October 31, 2012, 05:29 PM   #8
jcwit

^^ What he said ^^
Old October 31, 2012, 06:54 PM   #9
tkglazie

I have loaded 1000s of .380 (95gr LRN and 100gr Berrys HBRN) over N320 on my LCT using the Lee 3 die deluxe set plus a Lee FCD ordered separately. I will certainly never need anything better.

A good .380 makes an excellent carry weapon btw. I trust my life to my Bersa 83 every day and never feel undergunned. Then again, I shoot at least 15-20 rounds thru it 4-5 days a week so we are on pretty good terms...
Old November 1, 2012, 08:39 AM   #10
leadchucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
Lee expander dies annoy me. Clunk-clunk-kachunk. Clunk-clunk-kachunk. Over, and over, and over.....
I use a Lee 4 die set for 380. I assume you are referring to the flaring/charging die. I have noticed no "clunk-clunk-kachunk". I have no idea what that means. Could you explain?
Old November 1, 2012, 08:54 AM   #11
wncchester

I would stick with something from Lee, Lyman, Hornady, Dillon, Redding or RCBS.
Old November 1, 2012, 01:55 PM   #12
Sevens

The Lee expander die has a floating insert that does the work of actually flaring the case. When you send the brass up in to it, the case mouth pushes the floating insert up until the insert reaches the end of it's travel path. Only then does the insert begin to flare the case mouth.

When you withdrawal the brass case, the first bit offers no resistance while the insert travels to the lower end of it's path. It then meets resistance and pulls itself free from the case as you draw the brass from the die.

It's designed this way to "shake" the insert and ensure that any powder that might have stuck to it or bridged inside the tool is "knocked" free and allowed to fall properly in to the case while the case is still inside the die.

The Lee expander die is designed to run powder directly through it, and Lee branded powder measures can be affixed directly to the top of the die.

The annoying series of CHUNKS and KA-CHUNKS are designed into the tool specifically.
Old November 1, 2012, 03:47 PM   #13
warnerwh

I like Lee dies fine. They work just as well as my rcbs dies. The Lee dies also come with a shell holder and I think they are the only dies that do.

If you are using a single stage or turret I recommend getting the Lee Pro Powder Measure. This will make things go much quicker as you can charge the case at the same time as belling the mouth.

Last edited by warnerwh; November 1, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old November 1, 2012, 05:45 PM   #14
Sparks1957

Quote:
Clunk-clunk-kachunk

I use a standard 3-die set from Lee for .380, and bought the FC die to go with it. Works beautifully for me, very happy with the results.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:45 PM   #15
leadchucker

I like the "clunk-clunk-kachunk". That's the sound of ammo going in the box.