The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 24, 2012, 08:10 PM   #1
kwhi43

Shot The Remington Conversion

Finally got around to shooting the Remington in 45 Colt yesterday. This thing shoots dead on at 25 yds. Right in the middle. I would not have thought
that a fixed sighted gun would do that. Guess I just got lucky. Only load I
had with me was the "Buffalo Bore" 255 gr at 1,000 fps standard pressure
load. Recoil was there but due to the weight of the gun, it was mild. Got
some "Black Hills" Cowboy ammo and some "Black Dawge" Black Powder loads
to try next time. I was very impressed the way it shot. Great action too.

Old June 24, 2012, 08:31 PM   #2
rep1954

Great gun and congratuations for a project coming together so well with a good ending.
Old June 25, 2012, 04:30 PM   #3
buckhorn

Your Remington conversion looks really nice. And it sounds like it shoots good. I did a conversion on my '58 using a Howell without gate. But it's amazing how fast you can drop a cylinder on a '58 after you've done it a bunch of times. I once hit an old metal pole at 60 yards with my 58. I never hit it again [the pole was only 4 inches wide] But I've come close a number of times. {WITHIN INCHES]
Old June 25, 2012, 06:00 PM   #4
TomADC

Looks great glad it shoots great also.

I had my new Pietta 5.5 inch 1858 out today with a brand new Kirst Konverter in it, I got 3 or of 10 rounds to fire the rest show very light primer strikes. I didn't bring my cap & ball cylinder and stuff so couldn't shoot it that way.
Old June 28, 2012, 10:57 AM   #5
buckhorn

tomadc-Did you figure out the light hammer strikes.Is it possible you didn't have hammer all the way back. Maybe it caught on a metal burr from the manufacturing process and just needs worked out. Try working the hammer several times, and letting the hammer drop with the cylinder out. I had a remington with a Howell conversion and I had 1 failure to fire with the first 6 shots I tried after putting in the new cylinder. I worked the hammer and lubricated it with some teflon spray, and I never had another problem. I've fired some 200 rounds through it since with no problem. It might just need working in.
Old June 28, 2012, 11:17 AM   #6
buckhorn

Another thought, did you dry fire the revolver with the Krist cylinder in. I know if you do that with Howell cylinders, you can ruin the firing pin. Always take the cylinder out if you dry fire, or use a snap-cap.
Old June 28, 2012, 11:59 AM   #7
ZVP

A buffy loaned me his conversion cylinder to try in my 5 1/2" '58 and he was shooting .45 Scofields thru it.
My revolver printed dead-on @ 7 yards and cut a beauty of a cloverleafed group of the SScofields from my revolver!
I think that if I ever get a conversion kit, this is "The" load for my revolver!
I have so much fun with the C&B set-up though that I just can't justify buying the conversion cylinder. Using round balls and BP or Pyrodex the short '58, shoots just as well!
If there was just some way to get my fumble fingers to handle the Caps faster...
ZVP
Old June 28, 2012, 01:23 PM   #8
buckhorn

But you can always go back to the B/P cylinder if you do the conversion, giving you some options. I use Schofield 230 gr. in my 1860, 250 gr. or Schofieild or B/P in my Remington, and 158gr. wad cutters or B/P in my 1861. I have used the 250gr. Colt in my 1860, but it seems to like the shorter Schofield rounds.