The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 11, 2013, 02:01 AM   #1
mellow_c

A Brace of single action revolvers

Gentleman,
Right now, I have 2 pietta 1858 remington cap and ball revolvers. Honestly- I have a not shot them yet~....

My Grandfather had a ubetri stainless... same type... It's bound up, but a beauty

Obviously reading is a great thing, and because of it... I have realized that I will enjoy the heck out of my army revolvers with out toooooo much trouble when it comes to care and cleaning.

Now.
We all know, regardless... cap and ball is still a lot of work. And I'm happy about that, because there is no other way to experience the times, and it is well worth it.
However.

To fulfil my old west fantasies, I'm in need of a new brace

SAA

How much better can it get?? Not one but 2 .45 colt's held by your belt.

I've been reading for years, but it's still just a wash to me. I've thought it might be worth the $1,400 per pistol for a gen 4 colt pistol. But times 2 plus the belt is getting into the price of a 50. cal bolt rilfe and then some~!

I've read all about the Taurus Goucho... and I want to love it. But obviously it's a Taurus... and they no longer make them, which would make it hard to have a matching pair.

Ruger...

I love Ruger... but I will not buy another single action from them...

I have my 3 screw single six, and there is no new Ruger that will meet my traditional needs.

I'd like a brace of .45 lc that will be well worth my time, money, and interest.

Any opinions?

Last edited by mellow_c; April 11, 2013 at 02:11 AM. Reason: capitalization
Old April 11, 2013, 05:56 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

Rugers... one of your best bets today...

I haven't had any issues with mine, & they make a great platform for custom work as well...

... & BTW... I thought a "brace" was 3 guns ???

3rd row down on this pic are my CAS 45's, snubbie just below that makes up my brace in 45...

top pair are Single Sixes in 32 Mag. next pair are CAS guns for MRS. in 38 / 357

some custom Rugers towards the bottom on the left side...

Old April 11, 2013, 07:01 AM   #3
Newton24b

well if you want a 45 colt saa clone..... pietta makes some very nice ones. sure they dont have the "ideal" lines of a so called true 1st gen colt... but i believe there were 90-100 different changes to the 1st gen SAA.

id go with a pietta, then a heritage 45 colt, then id look at what EAA makes.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Cousin Pat

where to look

taylorsfirearms.com -- I have been pleased with this company's customer service (they are importers of ubertis, etc.) for SASS-type shooting.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:20 AM   #5
royal barnes

Pietta and Uberti make good Colt clones........... and there's no such thing as a 4th Gen.Colt' s SAA just 1st ,2nd and 3rd.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:56 AM   #6
gak

Royal Barnes said -
" Pietta and Uberti make good Colt clones........... and there's no such thing as a 4th Gen.Colt' s SAA just 1st ,2nd and 3rd."

+1 Uberti (Cimarron or Taylors). Unless you really are budget limited, skip the base Uberti (flat finish, some w/ brass gripfrmes) popular in the big box sporting stores, and go with the polished blue and case hardened models. you won't regret. Love my Cimrron P (as well as the old/original and New Vaqueros). Piettas are said to be great, but they too have "gone commercial" with lesser finished base models - so beware.

True enough on the "4th Genertion" - there is no formal designation (we've ll heard "just a cylinder bushing doesn't signify enough of a design change to warrant a new generation," which is Colt's stance, but good enough for me is that my Coltsmith of twenty years, one of very top Colt experts and tuners in the country, uses it as "most everyone" knows he's then talking about late (post 2003) 3rd with the removeable cylinder bushing (as well as what many believe to be better overall quality pieces, which my 2008 can attest to, A-B'ing with a friend's mix of earlier 3rds)--without having to go through all that explanation. Yes, "late 3rd" also works, but then almost always prompts the question "How late?" Or "Does it have the removeable bushing?". For an old codger "recent or late" could mean late 80's-on. He does know well enough with a neophyte to go through the "late 3rd, bushing, etc," explanation. "4th" is a useful practical or pragmatic definition for many. "4th (late 3rd)" works also for clarification for mixed audiences.
Old April 11, 2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Hawg

+1 on Uberti and a brace is two.
Old April 12, 2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

I stand corrected... always thought a brace of pistols was 3
Old April 13, 2013, 12:47 AM   #9
TennJed

Not to thread jack, but Magnum Wheel, that is an interesting and neat set up you have. What are the rods going in the barrel made of?
Old April 15, 2013, 05:58 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

Cold Rolled steel, with the ends polished round, & heat shrink tube over them... ( I use like 3 sizes of rod, depending on the bore of the gun ) brass plates coming down the road to identify the make model & caliber...