The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2009, 12:33 AM   #1
DavidAGO

.45 LC bullet in .45ACP

I was at the gun shop today and noticed they had just gotten in a batch of 200 gr flat point bullets marked for the Long Colt. I liked the looks of them and asked if they could be loaded successfully for a .45 ACP load. These miked .452. The owner said he had loaded them before, but didn't remember how they worked in his gun. So I ask, any problems working up a load in a .45ACP? I could not find anything in any of my reloading manual, and nothing at the powder makers websites that specifically mentions a cast flat point bullet. Any reasons to or not to work up such a load?

David
Old January 17, 2009, 12:40 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

At that bullet weight, providing you can put a taper crimp on the lead at a location that will prevent recoil of the magazine housing on the bullet noses from pushing them deeper into the cases, it should be fine. As soon as you get LC bullets heavier than 230 grain you have to watch out for the bases being unable to seat deeply enough without bulging the brass too much. .45 ACP brass starts to get thicker a little below the level 230 grain ball seats to.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 17, 2009, 10:37 AM   #3
putteral

I use the 200 gr LRNFP all the time in my .45'S. They feed better than the LSWC'S. I like either 5.2 grs of HP38 (231) or 4.6 grs of Titegroup. Very accruate out of my 24/7 Pro45 and Charles Daly EFS.
Old January 17, 2009, 11:01 AM   #4
MADISON

.45 LC bullet in .45ACP

After WW-II the manufacturers went from .454 to 452 on the Long Colt and the ACP. Go for it!
Old January 17, 2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Ozzieman

Penn bullets make a round that will work very well. I use it for cowboy shoots and in my target 45 ACP.
What I like about it is that it has a crimp ring for LC and you set it a little deeper for ACP and it works in everything I have shot it in, Kimbers, Gold cups and an XD 45. The optional diameters help also.

45 Caliber 200 Grain Round Nose Flat Point Bevel Base
Standard Sizing - .452
Optional Sizing - .451, .454, .455

http://www.pennbullets.com/45/45-caliber.html