The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 5, 2008, 08:12 PM   #1
cobra81

Plans for Shooting Bench

Was looking for a good set of plans for a couple solid shooting benches for our Sportsman's Club rifle range, and came across this site: http://www.horstguns.com/ShootingBench.htm

I just got the first one built, and if any of you are looking to build a strong, solid shooting bench, this one is a winner. Entire cost for material (treated yellow pine) and screws for one bench came to about $80. Once the weather warms up, we'll haul them out to the range and set the legs in concrete. It'll take three men and a boy to move them very far. Come to think of it, my old bones are sore just from manhandling those treated 6x6's while I was building it.

Old December 20, 2008, 06:35 PM   #2
FLRich

Old post but I'll reply anyway LOOKS GREAT! I just found your post while googling for bench drawings. I found the drawings first then came across your post here at TFL. I really like it except for the loss of some space since I am not a lefty. I have 30 acres here and am looking to build at least one bench, maybe 2 so my son and I can use them at the same time. Thinking of some eyelets and chain somewhere on the bench where I can just tip the tractor bucket and catch the chain on the bucket hooks to move it if needed. I am also thinking of pouring a concrete pad so we have a good clean place to drop a mat for prone. Eventually my dream would be to have a neigbor use his skid steer with PHD and set some large 6x6's over the pad and I'll build a lean to for shade and protection from the rain.

My 2 blocks are

1) I am looking for a cut list like you found but for a similar bench where I don't lose the space for a lefty position.

2) Waiting to pour the pad since I'd like to have a better spot to shoot. I got about 125 yards now in a safe FLAT position. Property is a pine tree farm and very VERY rugged. I got lots of land but lots of hills, ruts due to errosion over dozens upon dozens of years. Land was never maintained so rain runoff just cut the land all over the place. Chances are I'll stay with my 125 yards but I sure would like a dozer and a lot of clean fill to make a smaller but longer range than what I have now.
Old December 21, 2008, 08:00 AM   #3
straightShot

Looks good.

You may wish to add two wheels to the front legs that will only contact the ground when you lift up on the rear. This will help you to move the bench around on concrete and will allow you to sweep your brass up.
Old March 5, 2010, 08:43 PM   #4
jedimann

Dont need to be a lefty

I dont know how old your son is but that left spot is also good for a spotter if you are not a lefty. I've seen it used more for that purpose then for left handers.
Old December 12, 2011, 04:27 PM   #5
BFRBUD

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to see how this bench has held up over the years. I plan to build one for our private range area at my brothers house. Has anyone else building something like this or found that the designed needed to be changed for any reason?
OP - Thanks for the cool link!
Old December 13, 2011, 09:00 PM   #6
gofast1320

Bench life

We built one like this 4 years ago and it sits out year round. It is still solid as a rock.
Old December 14, 2011, 04:32 PM   #7
Paul Schultz

Shooting Bench Plan

Here's a link to the plans that I designed:
https://sites.google.com/site/kd8kuf...nch-left-right

I built two of them and they work great. I'd like to get your thoughts on any suggested improvements and photos so I can add them to the website.

Safe Shooting!

Paul
Old December 21, 2011, 09:36 PM   #8
BFRBUD

How strudy are they? The one in the op looks like it weights a ton and would be super stable.