The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2000, 11:32 AM   #1
Steve Smith

I have a 550B set up for .45 ACP. I will start loading for .308 Win within 6 months, I expect. Should I buy a new toolhead an powder measure along with the dies, so I can convert quickly? What do you guys do?
Old September 10, 2000, 12:20 PM   #2
Good Guy

You really should have a seperate toolhead for each caliber. That's part of the Dillon advantage, NOT readjusting your dies each time you switch calibers. Buying a seperate powder measure for the .308 would make things slick since you wouldn't have to remount your measure and change your powder bar. If you start loading for lots of other calibers, individual powder measures can start to get expensive though.

------------------
Just one of the Good Guys
Old September 10, 2000, 01:14 PM   #3
Nukem

Although I'm running a 650 the answer is still YES! As Good Guy says, that's the big advantage, quick changeovers. I have a seperate toolhead, powder measure, powdercheck for each caliber I load. Plug N Play.
Old September 10, 2000, 01:52 PM   #4
El Rojo

I have a tool head for every caliber I reload. I even have seperate toolheads for .308 size/trim and then for powder/seat/crimp. I however have not seen the cost effectiveness of buying another powder measure. It is really easy to change the bar for going from rifle to pistol. However, it would be nice!
Old September 10, 2000, 11:52 PM   #5
Steve Smith

OK, can I get another belling die (bottom of flow-through measure) so I don't have to adjust the depth of the die when I change calibers? What do you guys do with the powder that's already in the measure, and you want to change it?

It seems safer to have two measures, as well as easier. I'd hate to load .308 winchester with W231 or load my .45's with a rifle powder. Well, I guess you have to empty the measure to change the bar, so I guess that's ok. Hmm.

I'm talking myself through this (can you tell?) So what I'd do if I only had one measure is this: (assuming the press is setup for .45 acp)

Remove the powder measure, dump remains back into keg. Change over to large powder bar, remove .45 acp toolhead, insert .308 toolhead (that I've already set the dies correctly on). The .308 toolhead has it's own belling die that stays with the toolhead. I attach the powder measure (and safety bar), change shellplates, pour in rifle powder, and start loading. Does all this sound right?
Old September 10, 2000, 11:53 PM   #6
Sisco

I presently load with a Lee Turrent. If I were to make the switch to a 550 to increase production, what "extras" will I need to load 9mm, .30 carbine, 38spcl., 357mag, 41mag & 45acp? What will all this cost above the cost of the press itself?
Old September 11, 2000, 01:44 AM   #7
El Rojo

Here is what you should do. Buy a toolhead and powder bell for each caliber you have. You can put all of your .308 dies on one and the .45 on the other. Adjust your dies and powder bell on each set to where you want it. Now leave it alone.

If you want two different measures, buy another one. If you figure it is not that big of a deal to loosen the screw on the die, change powder bars, take the measure off of the bell, and switch it on to the other die, then don't buy another measure. But definitely have a toolhead and powder bell for each caliber.

And on another note, go ahead and order a AT 500 powder bell and plastic funnel while you are at it. Why? If you ever want to do really precise and accurate loads with extruded powder, you can put the AT 500 powder bell on .308 toolhead and when you do your reloading process; pulldown the handle as usual, but leave it down so the bullet on station three is seating and on 4 it is being crimped. Then measure out your next powder charge on your scale and dump it into the funnel and into the shell through the AT 500 powderbell. Move the handle back up, rotate the plate, place bullet in #3 station case, pull down handle, repeat process. It makes loading up high quality ammo quite effecient and fast.

Now that I think about it, I might just have to buy another measure for pistol loading. That way 1) it will be a heck of a lot easier to switch from rifle to handgun and 2) it never hurts to have a back up!

Thanks Frontsight! for making me have to place another Dillon Order! And I was supposed to be helping you?

[This message has been edited by El Rojo (edited September 11, 2000).]
Old September 11, 2000, 07:07 AM   #8
STEVE M

Just a side note/question. I don't think you have to change shellplates between 45ACP and .308 do you? I thought they had the same size rim?
Old September 11, 2000, 12:42 PM   #9
Hutch

Same shellplate. If you had a 650, you'd have to change the case insertion gadgetry, but since you don't, you don't.
Old September 11, 2000, 01:51 PM   #10
Jack Straw

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frontsight!:
[B]OK, can I get another belling die (bottom of flow-through measure) so I don't have to adjust the depth of the die when I change calibers? What do you guys do with the powder that's already in the measure, and you want to change it?
QUOTE]

A caliber specific powder die (belling die for pistols) comes with each caliber conversion so you won't have to change your settings when you switch calibers.

I remove the powder as soon as I finish with one caliber. If you leave powder in the hopper the clear plastic will turn green after a while...besides, as you said, it is just safer that way.

BTW, I use a toolhead for each caliber, but only one powder measure. To me it just isn't that big of a deal to readjust the powder measure when switching calibers.

Jack

[This message has been edited by Jack Straw (edited September 11, 2000).]
Old September 11, 2000, 02:09 PM   #11
Mikul

Does anyone have a good way to easily remove the remaining powder in the powder measure? The only thing that I can see to do is remove the entire powder measure and then dump it back in the keg.
Old September 11, 2000, 02:48 PM   #12
Mel Hoskin

Mikul, Pull the 2 pins, disconnect the rod that works the powder measure and remove the tool head(dies and powder measure attached) take top off the powder hopper and pore into the container it came from. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mikul:
Does anyone have a good way to easily remove the remaining powder in the powder measure? The only thing that I can see to do is remove the entire powder measure and then dump it back in the keg.[/quote]

------------------
Old September 12, 2000, 12:38 AM   #13
El Rojo

I concur Mel, just pop the pins and dump it out. The manually run the bar while back up right so the rest of the powder comes out. Very easy.