The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 1999, 05:32 PM   #1
Fusternc

I am a TOTAL reloading newbie, and I just started working up my first few rounds of .45 ACP (4 rounds) to be exact. Before I go any further, I wanna make sure I understand how to properly "taper crimp" the bullet into place using Lee carbide dies. I understand that the top knurled nob is for setting the desired bullet depth, and I have them set properly, but how do I make the taper crimp? Is this set automaticaly at the same time the bullet is seated in the die, or do I have to adjust something once its up in the die. Not sure if I use the top knurled knob or just tighten the actual die itself for the crimp? Help is very much appreciated!

Nathan

BTW- I am using the Lee Challenger single stage press if that helps.

The instructions ARE NOT all that clear.
Old November 20, 1999, 10:14 PM   #2
WalterGAII

If you're using the seating/crimp, die, then just do like the instructions say. Set the seating depth first, then screw the entire die in a quarter turn or so, for a firm crimp. (Remember to turn out the seating knob the same amount)

If you use the Factory Crimp Die, which I highly recommend, you seat in one stage, and crimp/post size with the Factory Crimp Die. The Factory Crimp die does use a knob to control the amount of crimp.

If you're going to load handgun ammo on a single stage press, the Lee Speed Die is really nice. One die body does everything.

[This message has been edited by WalterGAII (edited November 20, 1999).]
Old November 20, 1999, 11:18 PM   #3
TheOtherMikey

If you are not using a separate taper crimip die (which I also highly recommend) make sure the diameter at the end of the loaded case conforms with reloading data. My Speer manual says it should be 0.4730 inches. You need to have a dial caliper to check it.

For the taper crimp die, the same procedure is accomplished but for a quick setting, lossen the die and insert a factory round. Then tighten the taper die until the round is snug. Remove the round and tighten slightly.

Hope this helps, Mikey

------------------
When Guns Are Outlawed, I Will Be Another One Of The Quarter Million Violators Who Are Not Prosecuted
Old November 21, 1999, 05:26 PM   #4
Fusternc

Thanks guys. I finally figured it out. After reading a magazine article on reloading, it recommends to seat all bullets in one step, and then go back and crimp. That is what I did, and it worked perfectly.