The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 16, 2002, 06:56 PM   #1
Drjones

Tuckable IWB - PLEASE help me decide!

OK. After spending ALL DAY online researching these things, I THINK (Hope) I've narrowed it down.

1) Fist Seems the best choice because they use THIN kydex.

2) Blade-tech I'm not so sure of this one. I've read lots of great things regarding quality, but lots of negatives about the THICKNESS of it, which is why I'm drawn to #1. BUT, I do like that it extends the kydex to the top of the gun, completely protecting the gun from your skin. The Fist doesn't seem to have this, but hopefully I can get them to make it.

3) Comp-tac Seems nice, price is good, but again, no sweat panel. They could add it on demand??? How thick is their kydex?

PLEASE Help me decide!

Oh, here's an important thing; gun is a Beretta 96.

Thanks!!!!
Drjones
Old July 16, 2002, 09:37 PM   #2
waltherpfive

I can't comment on the first two but I do have two holsters from comp-tac. The shirt tucker does have a panel between the gun and the skin (on the back). You just can't see it in that photo. It is a sturdy holster but I don't have any other kydex holsters to compare it too.
Old July 17, 2002, 08:49 AM   #3
Christopher II

I just ordered a Comp-Tac Gurkha IWB holster (not tuckable, but similar.) When on the phone with the shop, I was told that they are using a thinner Kydex than they used to for their holsters. They also do inculde a sweat panel.

I haven't recieved my holster yet, but I'd be happy to post my impressions when I do.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old July 17, 2002, 06:01 PM   #4
tommygun45

I have a FIST kydex IWB holster for my Kimber Pro Carry SLE. When they said they use thin kydex they wern't kidding this stuf is so thin I thought the holster would colapse under normal atmospheric preasure . Thankfully I was wrong. It is a very well made holster and doesn't collapse. FIST basicly custom makes each holster and will place a sweat guard if you want one.
Old July 17, 2002, 07:45 PM   #5
Ed Brunner

I have a Kydex TALON Deep 6 IWB holster made by our own Mike Benedict. His line can be sees at: http://home.earthlink.net/~mikebened...ontactical.htm

It is a great holster and conceals really well.

UNTIL IT'S OVER!

Ed
Old July 21, 2002, 01:18 PM   #6
Gunnersalley

If you're really worried about the holster thickness, I'd give FIST a try. Their ultra thin kydex looks like paper, but it's very strong and light. Jim Murnak makes a good product, and he will put a body protector on it for you. Just my .02 worth.

Gunnersalley
www.gunnersalley.com
Old July 21, 2002, 01:57 PM   #7
Drjones

Gunnersalley: Thanks. I just ordered one from Fist on Thursday. Just makes sense to me that the thicker a holster is, the harder it will be to conceal. I have done TONS of research here and on other forums, and that seems to be the biggest complaint with Blade-tech.

Thanks
Drjones
Old July 26, 2002, 12:44 PM   #8
Ben Swenson

I think TFL's Jim March has a tuckable IWB holster that he is selling or at least developing. You might talk to him.
Old July 26, 2002, 02:15 PM   #9
HKguy9

Here's me (5'5", 120lbs) with a USP45C...not a small gun by any means but not quite as large as your Beretta. The belt doesn't fit well (4 sizes too small) so it creeps up above the belt and shows the Kydex clip a little. I will reshoot with a better belt.

Got it from Milt Sparks, it's a Versa Max II.

www.miltsparks.com

Top notch.