The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 30, 2010, 01:22 PM   #1
swmike

Should I bed this action or not?

Some time ago I purchased a Remington 700 SS 5-R Milspec. It shoots great with groups as small as 3/4" @300 yards. Have worked up a load that gives me great groups but every once in a while they "spread out".

Today I had the action separated from the stock which is an HS Precision Varmint style with aluminum action bedding block. When I inspected the bottom of the action as well as the bedding block I found that the front of the action is only contacting the block in two places. There were two distinct lines (one on each side of the action) where the top of the block contacted the action and no indication that the action was contacting the block anywhere else. I have kept the action screws torqued to 65 inch/lbs using the Wheeler FAT.

Now for my dilemma. The rifle shoots nice in this condition. I am considering the addition of a "skim coat" of Devcon 10110 to make the action bedding block fully support the action. Either that or use some "prussian blue" and scrape the block until I have full contact, much as one would fit a journal bearing.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old September 30, 2010, 02:05 PM   #2
amflyer

I can understand wanting to tinker with that rifle, but I think you're crazy to mess with anything if you're getting groups like that consistently.

However it's set up, "right" or "wrong," works for this gun in particular.

Leave it alone.
Old September 30, 2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Scorch

Quote:
I found that the front of the action is only contacting the block in two places. There were two distinct lines (one on each side of the action) where the top of the block contacted the action and no indication that the action was contacting the block anywhere else.
That is exactly the way it is supposed to be. Picture, if you will, a circle in a V. It only touches in 2 places. The idea is that the action will sit there consistently, increasing accuracy. In order to have 100% contact, you'd have to have a square action. Leave it alone, it shoots fine.
Old September 30, 2010, 07:21 PM   #4
DnPRK

The more important question is:

What does the contact between the front of the aluminum block and rear of the recoil lug look like?

Even = no bedding needed
Partial = skim bed with Devcon aluminum