The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 1, 2001, 09:25 AM   #1
Bill Daniel

Fire-Lapping for pistols

I understand that polishing the bore of a firearm can improve its accuracy but how can you tell if this will help your gun? Is this only important in rifles or will it help a pistol significantly also? Lastly, has anyone used NECO Fire-Lapping bullets in their pistol and if so could you detect any improvement?
The bore on my Gold Match appears as smooth as glass does that mean that polishing would be of little ot no benefit?
Thanks,
Bill Daniel
Life Member NRA

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old November 1, 2001, 09:36 AM   #2
Charmedlyfe

I've got the NECO kit, and have been very happy with the results. I used it on my P-14, and it smoothed out a nasty spot at the end of the barrel. Also used it on my bolt rifle, and accuracy did improve noticably. Easier to clean, too. READ THE DIRECTIONS. If you don't, you could damage your barrel. be careful.

If your barrel is already like glass, you wouldn't want to use the courser grits. Just use the polishing grit. It's in the directions.
Old November 2, 2001, 04:46 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

Hard-Fit a BARSTO!

Likely you will NOT improve your 45 by fire-lapping; suggest other means to improve its accuracy.
Start by deciding what is wrong.............sights, trigger, barrel, barrel fitment, ammo, etc.

(You'll notiice that nowhere in this post did I imply the shooter sucks LOL.)
Old November 2, 2001, 08:53 AM   #4
Bill Daniel

That the author's shooting skill frequently does inhale sharply is a record of fact. Consequently, his search for nick nacks, gadgets and scapegoats is never ending. I do appreciate the advice and counsel of my TFL colleges.

If the bore appears smooth and shiney is there any good reason to "Fire-Lap" a 45 ACP barrel? If the bore is pitted should it be "Fire-Lapped" or replaced?

All the best,
Bill Daniel
Life Member NRA

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old November 4, 2001, 01:13 AM   #5
Charmedlyfe

In my case, my 45acp barrel just had the one rough spot. Not enough to throw away money on a mew barrel. I also had a WWII barrel that was severely pitted, and I lapped that as an experiment. The pitted barrel did NOT get any better.

Fire lapping has uses, but is not the cure-all some people believe. It is also NOT completely ineffective or damaging to the bore as some believe, provided that you follow directions carefully. Kind of like cleaning up the hammer/sear relation. Too much is damaging, but done right it is a benefit.
Old November 7, 2001, 05:39 PM   #6
NoSweat

Bill.... Another approach is to clean it with JB Bore Paste. This is a mild abrasive ( or rubbing) compound for bores.

The paste comes in a small container, is fairly cheap, and it works great. Simply wrap a patch around a bore brush, apply some paste to the patch, and scrub the boe. Clean bore with Hoppe's or equivalent afterwards.