The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 25, 2016, 08:52 PM   #1
weblance

A Tale of Two Rifles, Ruger AR - Kel-Tec SU

Because of the upcoming political uncertainty, I decided I should buy a semi auto rifle before we might not be able to. Being a Ruger fanboy, the choice was obvious, a Ruger AR 556 was what I wanted. They aren't easy to find, but searching around, I found and ordered one from Kentucky Gun Co. and had it shipped to my favorite dealer. Easy and painless, it arrived in 6 days, and I went and picked it up. While I was there, he showed me a Kel-Tec SU-16C in Olive Drab Green. I was intrigued with its features, and the fact it uses AR-15 magazines. I took my AR 556 home, cleaned it, and went to the range.

I was immediately disappointed in the trigger. It has horrendous creep, and a very heavy break. Reading on the internet that its the way a mil-spec trigger is, I decided that I would purchase a drop in trigger when I save up the money. The second thing I didn't like, was the rear sight. The aperture is so small, that to my eye, it looks out of round. Since my intent was to scope my rifle, I decided to shoot it as is, and rely on the sights if the scope ever fails. The sights were no where close to adjusted(I know Ruger doesn't adjust handgun sights) and the bullet impacts were 6" low, and 6" right, at 25 yards. The rifle shot well, and I had no failures in 120 rounds of brass 55 grain, and 30 rounds of 55 grain steel cased ammo. As I was casing up my AR 556, I noticed a small pin sticking out of the gas block. As I looked closer, one pin was completely gone, lost I assume, in the gravel and spent casings, at the range. After looking for the pin for 15 minutes, I went home and called Ruger. The lady who answered the phone was polite, apologetic, took my info, and placed an order for replacement pins. Disappointed in my first experience with my AR 556, my thoughts wandered to the Kel-Tec SU-16C. Since my dealer offered to sell it to me at cost, (we are friends) I decided to purchase it. I picked it up last Saturday, and I got a chance to shoot it today.

My first experience with my Kel-Tec was wonderful. The rifle shot perfectly, the sights are easy on my eyes, and adjusted perfectly, and nothing fell off the rifle. It has a very nice trigger, with a short take up, then a medium weight break. I shot the same round count as the Ruger, 120 brass cased, and 30 steel cased. It's an interesting rifle. It's piston driven, has an under folding stock, can be fired in the folded position, and the forend opens into a bipod. I doubt I will shoot it folded, but I do like that this allows for discrete transport in a small case, and won't alarm someone who isn't gun friendly.

I am happy with both my rifles, but so far, I like the Kel-Tec better than the Ruger. Right out of the box, its has performed above the Ruger. Both rifles cost me the same money. Both rifles show equal accuracy in my hands. Im sure the Ruger AR 556 is a fine rifle, but in my opinion, it needs a trigger upgrade, so it will cost more in the long run. The Kel-Tec has been available for more than a decade now, and reports of its durability are excellent. Its built to last, and has a lifetime warranty.

I cant wait to go to the range again. I know which rifle I will take.

Old April 26, 2016, 05:11 AM   #2
fourbore

I suspect in the long run you will be glad you got both. I would not want all my eggs in one basket and the Ruger has a good reputation and kaltec makes some interesting stuff. Pistols too. Not all Kaltec reports quite so good. Lots of stuff that could easily get caught up in a future ban. You may see an "open season" on all semi-autos. The 1994 ban basically did nothing. Eventually the liberals are going to figure it out and go after function rather than form.

Good idea, both. Anything else (semiauto) you really want, might be worth jumping on it now.