The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 21, 2016, 10:44 AM   #1
Photon Guy

The Canik

I got a Canik for Christmas. So far I've put about 1000 rounds through it and its been a really excellent gun at a really good price. You can get a Canik for under $300 and supposedly you get more than what you pay for, much more, at least that's the impression I've got so far. However, I heard that Caniks do start to have problems after about 5000 rounds and that while you can get replacement parts, for the cost of the Canik lots of people would just buy a new one. So with this the Canik is starting to sound like a throw away gun which I hope is not the case.
Old January 21, 2016, 10:51 AM   #2
Limnophile

Take a pause from shooting your Canik and let the barrel cool down.

What sort of Canik did you get? What parts are supposed to give out at 5,000 rounds?
Old January 21, 2016, 10:58 AM   #3
Smoke Screen

Holy CRAP! I'm glad that you posted this! I just came on to ask about the Canik Tp9sf. My dad is in a shooting competition that is being filmed for a tv series if a production company decides to pick it up. He said that One of his training buddies brought one and has been using it and loves it. My old man has an M&P 9 and he said he not only likes the trigger WAAAAY more on the Canik, but he really thinks its every bit as comfortable as the M&P, and he ordered one to arrive this week. I'm in the market for a new 9 as a duty type pistol, and he told me I'd be dumb to not pick one up as well.

I've just never been an early adopter of things, and I'm always hesitant to see performance reviews of new products into the marketplace...Any stress or torture test links would be appreciated! Also, Where did you find them for less than $300? I'm seeing them for $350, but not $300....And it's saying that they come in 15-18 OR 20 round capacities? I'm super intrigued.

Also worried a bit about aftermarket accessories...conceal holsters, extra mags, tac lights....etc....
Old January 21, 2016, 11:08 AM   #4
Photon Guy

Quote:
What sort of Canik did you get? What parts are supposed to give out at 5,000 rounds?
I got the Canik 55 TP9SA which is 9mm and I got it in desert tan. From what I heard, after 5,000 rounds or so the gun starts to have certain issues such as cycling rounds and parts such as the recoil spring and trigger can give out.
Old January 21, 2016, 11:24 AM   #5
Photon Guy

Quote:
Where did you find them for less than $300? I'm seeing them for $350, but not $300....And it's saying that they come in 15-18 OR 20 round capacities?
I got mine for around $360. It was after I got the gun that a girl in my shooting class told me that people can get it for under $300 and she gave me the website prepperguns.com and as of now the lowest price for a Canik on that website is $306 but supposedly the Canik has sold on that website for as low as $280 or $290. The Canik I got came with two 18 round magazines and I bought an extra 10 round magazine for it which I call my California magazine.

Quote:
Also worried a bit about aftermarket accessories...conceal holsters, extra mags, tac lights....etc....
The gun comes with two magazines as I mentioned above as well as a holster. As for other accessories that you want to get for it, those would be more or less the same kinds of accessories that you would use with most similar guns.
Old January 21, 2016, 11:36 AM   #6
Smoke Screen

I also wanted to get the desert tan model. Let me know how it keeps performing! Looking forward to possibly picking one up.
Old January 21, 2016, 11:41 AM   #7
Photon Guy

Quote:
I also wanted to get the desert tan model. Let me know how it keeps performing! Looking forward to possibly picking one up.
Alright, so far I've put about 1000 rounds through it and so far I haven't had any problems. I hope it keeps performing like this.
Old January 21, 2016, 11:53 AM   #8
Boogityx2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UDsDtvFh20s

As I have said before, I have the TP9SA. Really happy with mine but I would like to have waited for the SF version with the dovetailed front sight. Also, lack of the decocker is no issue other than it looks better without it.

Not saying there aren't any possible issues at around 5,000 rounds but this thread is the first I've heard about it. At this price, it appears they are beater guns but i bet that will change when their price rises to match other manufacturer's offerings here in the US as they become more popular.
Old January 21, 2016, 01:15 PM   #9
Kosh75287

Same, here. I think I'm past 1000 rounds in mine, and have had no mechanical issues with it at all. Some of the finish is wearing faster (frame corners)than I'd like, but for the money I paid, I can afford to refinish it, if it bothers me THAT much.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old January 21, 2016, 01:34 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon Guy
From what I heard, after 5,000 rounds or so the gun starts to have certain issues such as cycling rounds and parts such as the recoil spring and trigger can give out.
I would expect to replace the recoil spring in any pistol after 5,000 rounds. How long do you think it should last? Many pistol models call for replacing the recoil spring long before 5,000 rounds.

The trigger, on the other hand, should last the life of the firearm.
Old January 22, 2016, 12:52 PM   #11
Steve1

Canik

I picked up a Canik TP9sa in desert tan a couple of weeks ago. Paid $ 349.I took it to the range and half a dozen people wanted to shoot it. I love the trigger,sights aren't the greatest but at least mine are zeroed in. At $ 349 I think it's a bargain. Can't wait to see the new model I believe it's a 9sf. Better sights with a dovetail. I have on order a Cross Breed holster that I ordered on 1-03 hope to receive it pretty soon.
Old January 23, 2016, 12:36 AM   #12
hornetguy

I've got the TP9 SA... haven't put but a couple hundred rounds through it yet, but I LOVE it. GREAT trigger, very short reset. Prints about an inch and a half high at close range, but that's not an issue. It's very comfortable to shoot, with either 115gr fmj, or 147gr jhp's...
Old January 23, 2016, 03:21 AM   #13
Limnophile

Quote:
I got the Canik 55 TP9SA which is 9mm and I got it in desert tan. From what I heard, after 5,000 rounds or so the gun starts to have certain issues such as cycling rounds and parts such as the recoil spring and trigger can give out.
Sounds like somewhere before the 5,000-round count is a good time to replace some springs, which doesn't seem too unreasonable. Can such spare parts be ordered from Turkey if they aren't stocked here?
Old January 23, 2016, 08:54 AM   #14
Neal_G.

Photon Guy, a better idea would be to get better quality springs from Cajun Gun Works. There is a whole section for Caniks on their website. You can contact the owner, David, with any concerns. I upgraded all the springs, firing pins, etc, with CGW stuff on my CZ's both for better reliability and performance. CZ springs have sometimes been known to be on the weak side, the trigger return spring in particular, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Canik's springs were similar or even worse. It IS a budget clone gun, but the core of the weapon is sound, since it's based on a proven design. Springs, whether in the gun or it's magazine, are the weak link in any semi-auto.
Old January 23, 2016, 09:00 AM   #15
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal_G. View Post
Photon Guy, a better idea would be to get better quality springs from Cajun Gun Works. There is a whole section for Caniks on their website. You can contact the owner, David, with any concerns. I upgraded all the springs, firing pins, etc, with CGW stuff on my CZ's both for better reliability and performance. CZ springs have sometimes been known to be on the weak side, the trigger return spring in particular, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Canik's springs were similar or even worse. It IS a budget clone gun, but the core of the weapon is sound, since it's based on a proven design. Springs, whether in the gun or it's magazine, are the weak link in any semi-auto.

Does David at CGW stock parts for the TP9 series? I thought it was just the hammer fired models he worked with.
Old January 23, 2016, 09:17 AM   #16
Neal_G.

Crap, your right! I was talking about the wrong Canik!
Old January 23, 2016, 06:11 PM   #17
peggysue

Here is mine $335 off Buds last year. Sweet.

Old January 23, 2016, 07:16 PM   #18
MarkGlazer

I own the Canik Stingray and have over 2k rounds through it without any issues. I absolutely love this gun to the point that it sits in my nightstand. I stake my life on this pistol, literally.

With regards to Mr. Neal_G, I must take issue with you. A budget gun this is not. Yes, it is modeled after the CZ line and yes, it is less costly than the rest of the market, yet it performs flawlessly. I would venture to guess that any product that enters a market is branded "budget" because it must under price the competition just to gain a foot hold. If you wish to "over pay" for an internationally known brand and overlook legitimate competition, you're free to do so. But after months of careful research I made an educated purchase and haven't regretted it.

As for the notation that CZ springs are on the weak side, I beg to differ there as well. My wife has a CZ 75 P01 and it too is flawless in it's operation. I would venture to guess that if you can't gain a spring from Canik you can probably make a purchase from CZ as long as you match to a similar model with similar barrel length. Don't quote me though, check with CZ and/or Canik.

Photon Guy, enjoy your purchase. Be safe.
Old January 24, 2016, 01:30 PM   #19
Frontier4

2010 cz with 4k rounds through it and lord only knows how many times i have manipulated the slide acting upon the spring...my springs look like they did the day I first disassembled her. Let me go blast 1000 rounds real quick so I can get back to you guys...or not. I did order a back up spring but i wont replace until this one is "shot" haha pun intended. If it ain't broke, dont fix it!
Old January 24, 2016, 05:45 PM   #20
pwalston25

Thinking I would like to pick up one of the SF models when they become available
Old January 25, 2016, 07:50 AM   #21
peggysue

I will too. Hope same mags fit.
Old January 26, 2016, 11:56 AM   #22
Photon Guy

Quote:
Thinking I would like to pick up one of the SF models when they become available
Me too. I want to get another Canik and use my old Canik as a spare gun and maybe an SF model is the way to go.
Old January 26, 2016, 12:55 PM   #23
pwalston25

Ive been wanting to get one just for a beater and to keep out in the shop but just never could get over the fact of having a decocker on a striker gun. I know it is very difficult to accidentally hit but Im still not a fan of it.

On a different note, can someone tell me how to quote another post? I am not new to forums at all, just new to this one. Maybe Im too new to quote posts yet? Not sure.
Old January 26, 2016, 01:10 PM   #24
Photon Guy

Quote:
On a different note, can someone tell me how to quote another post? I am not new to forums at all, just new to this one. Maybe Im too new to quote posts yet? Not sure.
The command to quote other posts is right above the text section of when you write a message. Its on the bottom row, fourth one from the left.
Old January 26, 2016, 01:24 PM   #25
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Ive been wanting to get one just for a beater and to keep out in the shop but just never could get over the fact of having a decocker on a striker gun. I know it is very difficult to accidentally hit but Im still not a fan of it.

I know some people hate decockers in general. What's so special about having one on a striker-fired gun? It's just rare. That's all. The famous Walther P99 has done it for twenty years now. It's both a throwback to DA/SA handling and a dedicated method for safely decocking without pulling the trigger.

To quote, use the little menu above where you type the message. It works by highlighting text and then clicking an option. For instance, I copied and pasted your text above, highlighted it, and clicked the button that looks like a little cartoon word bubble. Similarly, I highlighted "Walther P99" and clicked the button with a planet and some chain link to create a link to the official page. Take advantage of these tools to make better posts.