Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 2, 2005, 09:30 PM   #1
NSO_w/_SIG

Police Dog. Better not run.

http://www.leenks.com/link13464.htm

These are some bad boys.
Old May 2, 2005, 09:52 PM   #2
Blue Heeler

Great Stuff - Already posted 4/27 in the General Discussion Forum.
Old May 2, 2005, 09:56 PM   #3
NSO_w/_SIG

O really........ sorry I would not of reposted it, if I had known. I don't know how I missed it. Thanks. Mods delete if you want.
Old May 5, 2005, 09:58 PM   #4
S.E.R.T.SGT

WOW, awesome dog..hehe!

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lighting they
Do not go gently into that good night.

Dylan Thomas

S.E.R.T.SGT
Old May 5, 2005, 10:12 PM   #5
USP45usp

Those dogs are dangerous, and not only to the BG's.

If you noticed, in one of the scenes, the dog attacked the handler. Not good.

And, it took many seconds for the dogs in the last part to obey the orders of the handler.

Over trained to become killers instead of tools. How do you think that dog fighting and such has become so popular? Trained to kill, not to obey.

One of the reasons that they have a training schedule that has to be done with military dogs and why they won't try to create "super dogs", too many had to be put down while they were trying to find a training program for them.

Wayne
Old May 6, 2005, 03:37 PM   #6
panzer426

awesome stuff. just thought I'd point out that those clips are all of dogs still in training and in europe. though they do train them to be a lot more aggressive there, they also train them to be a lot more responsive. the dog that turned on the handler was a young belgian malinois, kind of like a small german shepherd on steroids, adrenaline, and or speed. should also point out that these dogs are in training for 3 years before they go out on the job. a friend in belgium, also a dog trainer for the local police, sent me that a few months ago. that dogs name was weir and turned into one of the best training candidates yet. they arent trained to be killers who dont respond to their handlers. during the 3 year training if they dont learn to respond 100% in any training situation they go to private trainers to be retrained, and to find homes.
Old May 6, 2005, 08:18 PM   #7
TheeBadOne

Old May 7, 2005, 10:38 AM   #8
USP45usp

panzer426,

Oh, didn't know that they were still in training, I spoke too soon .

When we were watching the training and the training schedule of military dogs while in the AF they explained that when the training first started the military wanted "super dogs" but stopped because they were creating killers that didn't obey and attacked the handlers so that is why I thought that when I saw the vid.

Wayne
Old May 7, 2005, 03:46 PM   #9
panzer426

thats true, when the military first started training dogs they were trying to make them uber aggressive. against the advice of everyone involved in the training and handling. unfortunately about 250 doberman pinchers were put down. this was before we became involved in world war 1, the first war in which america used dogs. during ww1 we used dobies, collies, mutts, and beaucerons (kind of look like a german shepherd crossed with a doberman). wasnt untill half way through our involvement with ww2 that we began to use the german shepherd as a war dog, untill this time there werent any in the us, and we hadnt heard of them. since maybe a year before ww1 the only people to train an uncontrollable attack dog have been very irresponsible people who make a very bad reputation for the responsible owners, trainers, breeders, and handlers. and maybe a few 3rd world countries like iraq? but I doubt that. even they would see the downsides of having a dog trained to attack but not trained to respond to the handler.
example of modern military police dog training (from experience as a trainer for these agencies in us, germany, france, england, australia and canada)...a handler can send his dog through a battle field (mortar explosions and machine gun fire) to attack an individual he indicated to the dog, if at any point after releasing the dog he needs for any reason to recall the dog, he can. if we dont train it for a 100% recall we have to start the training over with a new dog which we provide in most cases. if the dog seizes the target (bad guy) and for some reason the handler needs the dog to release he just has to give the command (in the us military the command is "out" unless the handler wants to create his own command). so with modern military and police the dog has to be 100% reliable in conceivable situations.
Old May 25, 2005, 09:03 AM   #10
big daddy 9mm

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez

I think I will just get concealed dog permit.
Old May 25, 2005, 01:17 PM   #11
tjhands

LOL at bigdaddy. I agree.

I was amazed at how fast they got to the assailant. Jumping over cars - just cool.
That one guy was pulled out the window of his van. He was a screamer, too!
Old May 26, 2005, 02:05 AM   #12
yorec

A lot of the time, the guy wearing the glove or suit will scream at, buffet, and try to intimidate the dog. It really gets thier juices flowin' and prepares them for what they may face in a real bite situation.
Old May 26, 2005, 02:21 AM   #13
thumperfbc

Quote:
ust thought I'd point out that those clips are all of dogs still in training and in europe.
Yea, thats what I noticed too. Still learning the ropes.

Buddy of mine is a handler for the local Sheriff Dept and his partner is the friggin biggest German Shepard I've ever seen in my life... 130 some-odd points. monstorous dog, but a real sweetheart around friends. He was trained in Germany, if I remember correctly. All the local dog units are from what I'm told. I've actually been in one of those suits before and had good ol' Zeke come after me... VERY intimidating. SOmething I'd never ever want to be anywhere near if not in that suit. Its really quite impressive.

I remember my buddy telling me about one of Zeke's earliest stops... For some reason the dog grabbed hold of his upper leg, odd because I guess they normally go for an easily attainable body part... typically an arm it seems. But anyways, he got the thigh and got into whatever artery is right there... the perp just about bled out I hear... Crazy stuff.

and just as a side note... Zeke has the absolute worst smelling farts, ever. WOrse yet, he knows when he does it because he gets these little guilty look about him and glances up at whomever is around too see if you've noticed.
Old May 26, 2005, 07:06 AM   #14
bclark1

i liked the 2 dogs getting the guy holding a hostage. 1-2-down. owned!
Old May 26, 2005, 09:40 AM   #15
hummelsander

Ouch and double ouch. Wether the dogs were still in training doesn't matter. The guys getting the brunt end of the "take downs" must have been hurting.