The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 3, 2013, 01:09 AM   #1
deerslayer303

Heritage RR on the way.

I finally ordered one of these budget plinkers. Mainly because I want to slow down the rounds fired through my H&R 929. Not because its a priceless piece, but rather its obsolete and they don't make them anymore. Only Draw back is I'm losing 3 rounds capacity and no swing out cylinder. But who cares its just more time I get to enjoy the weather. Now somebody tell me something bad about the Heritage . All I hear is good stuff. And if its as accurate as my 929 well then its 129 bucks well spent. Err well there is that shipping and transfer fee, but do we count that?
Old March 3, 2013, 01:52 AM   #2
Carmady

Congrats on your new gun. I was looking for a plinker too, and got a High Standard Sentinel with a 4" barrel. Since you mentioned H&R, I was looking real hard at this.

It looks barely used.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=330743625
Old March 3, 2013, 01:53 AM   #3
shootniron

I bought this one for a Christmas gift and it is a great shooter...$180 with adjustable fiber optic sights.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100313 [].JPG (131.3 KB, 330 views)

Last edited by shootniron; March 3, 2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old March 3, 2013, 02:15 AM   #4
22-rimfire

Hope it works out for you. A Rough Rider (RR) would be my choice only if I could afford no better. You will read varying reports about Heritage RR accuracy. Most are good, but some are terrible. So you will just have to shoot your new revolver and find out how it does. I think you would be much better off with a Ruger Single Six.
Old March 3, 2013, 07:27 AM   #5
CajunBass

Congratulations. I'm thinking about getting one myself.

Sure there are better guns. I've owned a bunch of them.

I think a Rough Rider would be fun.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 3, 2013, 08:41 AM   #6
kraigwy

It's Cute:

Friday & Saturday I made the rounds of the gun shops. Friday I hit two in Gillette and Saturday, three in Rapid City.

Powder here, primers there. Over all, good productive trip, not stocking up but keeping up.

Anyway I found some rifle powder at one store, plus some black powder (not many people carry real black powder any more).

I had my goodies piled up on the counter when wife comes up and lays out one of the little Heritage Rough Riders, bird head grip, in 32 H&R Mag.

I says, "what's that"? She says "its cute". I guess "cute" is as good a reason to buy a revolver as any so I buy it for her.

Bought some ammo, box of 32 H&R and some 32 S&W, (little short stuff). Don't have a 32 so no reloading stuff.

So Saturday morning we shot the crap out of that little gun. Shoots good, fairly accurate. Only problem is the brass is a bit sticky ejecting. No problem a little steel wool on a spindle in the drill press cleaned up the cylinder pretty good.

Never had a Heritage revolver before, but I doubt wife will "shoot it out" anyway.

Then Saturday found some Carbide RCBS dies. Another box of bullets to tied us over. (Got brass on order from Midway).

I found I already had a bullet mold, 90 gr RN. Don't know why I had it, but it'll work for this little guy.

Good fun little gun, wife likes it, that's what counts, and besides, its CUTE.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 3, 2013, 09:27 AM   #7
deerslayer303

Quote:
Since you mentioned H&R, I was looking real hard at this.
That is a very nice H&R. I wouldn't hesitate on another one for sure. I think that one is even older than my 929.

Kraig,
I see SWMBO strikes again (she, who must be obeyed) . Thanks for posting, I enjoy reading stuff like that. And she's right that is a "cute" revolver. Besides isn't that what Doc Holiday carried in Tombstone? A couple birds heads? I have seen some videos now on the tube that people say the bluing isn't all that great. Well I wouldn't think so at the price point. And yeah a Single Six is a better revolver, I'm sure. But I threw the Heritage in the Cart when I was ammo shopping on Classic Firearms last night. Not only that I CAN NOT pay Rugers Price for a .22. I just CAN"T its ingrained in my soul. For that kind of money if better throw a whole lot more lead than 40grains.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:39 AM   #8
YARDDOG(1)

They are what they are,,, Not too bad with fixed sights.. I hope you get one that shoot straight, as in not left or right Fairly easy fix.

They state in the manual (Do Not Fan) And beleave them, as I messed up the hand & timing doing just what was said NOT TO

All in all, if you take care of it you should have a good gun @ a good price.
Good Luck Shoot straight ; )
Y/D
Old March 3, 2013, 01:18 PM   #9
22-rimfire

Quote:
Deerslayer said....Not only that I CAN NOT pay Rugers Price for a .22. I just CAN"T its ingrained in my soul. For that kind of money if better throw a whole lot more lead than 40grains.
Different strokes for different folks. But from a fun and likely use perspective, the price of the better 22 revolvers more than justifies their cost for me. But I understand the mindset.... "It's just a 22." As I said, good luck with your Rough Rider.
Old March 3, 2013, 01:51 PM   #10
kraigwy

I have some 22 rimfires that are worth well over a grand, that doesn't mean some of these cheaper 22s can't be fun.

Added to that, not everyone can afford high price guns, lets not make shooting sports a rich man's game.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 3, 2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Now somebody tell me something bad about the Heritage .
The unnecesary safety drives my nuts!:

But that being the worst thing I can say about my RR, I'm very happy with it. Mine is a fixed sight 6 1/2" with both 22 rimfire, and 22 WMR cylinders. Out of the box the point of impact was off quite a bit, but with some carefully applied pressure from a well placed pair of Vise-Grips I put a bit of port list to the front sight that brought in perfectly in line.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 3, 2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Carmady

"Not only that I CAN NOT pay Rugers Price for a .22. I just CAN"T its ingrained in my soul."

We may be of the same ilk. I was looking at those SS's as well on GB and iirc they were going for around $500. I had one 10-15 years ago, and wasn't that crazy about it, got it mainly for my son to learn on. I'm 10-15 years older now and wanted something more geezer friendly to reload, so I was looking for something in good shape with a swing-out cylinder. I was going to hold out for that Sportsman, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sells for $500, plus I wanted a non-target gun, something like a S&W M-10 wannabe in .22. A barely used Hi-Std came up with a reasonable BIN, so I grabbed it.
Old March 3, 2013, 03:10 PM   #13
lwb

I have 3 RR and cant complain about any of them . 3 1/2 ,6 1/2 and the 9 in. no problems with any of them,the 6 1/2 I have owned for twenty years and squirrel hunt with it instead of my ruger ss.Good Luck and have fun shooting.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:03 PM   #14
C5rider

I likes mine!

I did a little test of my Rough Rider and my Single Six. Feel free to check it out if you'd like.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=640428

You'll get ALL SORTS of responses ranging from those who swear on their RRs and those who swear AT them!
Old March 3, 2013, 08:08 PM   #15
22-rimfire

Quote:
I have some 22 rimfires that are worth well over a grand, that doesn't mean some of these cheaper 22s can't be fun.
Me too. 22's are meant to be fun.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:58 PM   #16
Poindexter

I bought one yesterday, 6.5", plough handle grip.

Put about 300 rounds through it yesterday, learning to hip shoot by walking the impact onto my target. No hiccoughs.

I have about 9,700 rounds to go if Elmer was telling the truth.

I am paying about 8 cents each for 22lr, compare to 21.5 cents plus reloading time for each round of .45 Colt.

Can't go wrong for now. If one of the kids doesn't move on up to .38Special or etc, I can see handing out a Ruger .22 as a college graduation present.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:27 PM   #17
overhead

I picked one up last spring because I wanted a less expensive gun that I could leave in a shed while I am building a cabin. I did not expect much from it and I have been pleasantly surprised. I would guess i put about 100 rounds a weekend through it over the summer and a little less this winter. It keeps shooting. I picked up the 22mag cylinder and use it some as well. Mine does not have adjustable sites, but I find it to be fairly accurate. It fits the need I was trying to fill, a less expensive gun that I can shoot steel with when I have a break from building.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:56 PM   #18
bedbugbilly

I bought a Heritage RR - 4 3/4" barrel - LR a year ago - BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO USE MY VINTAGE RUGER SUPER BEARCAT as a knock around pistol. I've been very satisfied with it - shot great right out of the box and it is always in my range bag. It's certainly not a Colt or a Ruger - but then there is a "lemon" every once in a while with any brand. For the price - I think they are a great value. I treat my guns well but if this one gets some wear on the finish, I'm not going to worry about it. A lot of folks can't afford what Ruger is getting now for their Single Sixes, Bearcats, etc. I've put well over 1,000 rounds through mine without a glitch and the more I shoot it, the more I like it.

Some folks will find fault or knock anything that isn't their favorite brand - the RR offers a cheap and inexpensive way to have a "plinker" and a good trail or woods gun. I love the traditional grooved frame sight as I'm used to shooting SA revolvers without fancy sights. It takes practice but you will "learn your SA" and how it shoots and where it shoots. Congrats on your new gun - and have fun shooting it! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 3, 2013, 10:59 PM   #19
deerslayer303

Thanks for all the replies. I've enjoyed reading your experiences with them. I tried to order a RR about 2 years ago when I lived in SC. When Buds shipped it to my FFL he saw what it was and shipped it right back. Then the 929 fell into my lap on a trade for a can of tokarev ammo. And I haven't looked back since. But that 129 dollar price tag stuck out to me like a sore thumb, when I was on Classic's website last night. So I slung one in the cart. I'm kinda set in my ways about 22lr hand guns. I will only have that cartridge in a Revolver. I had my fill of the finicky, and super picky (ammo wise) semi auto's. The cartridge just don't have enough juice to blow back the slide on some of those auto loaders. I can sling ANY .22 cartridge in my 929 and guess what?? YEP, IT GOES BANG EVERY TIME! None of that FTF, FTE, Stove Pipes, etc, thats just crazy talk I'll post up a range report when I get the little thing here.
Old March 3, 2013, 11:24 PM   #20
9mm

$129? in these times -.- where did you get it!!!!! I seen them for $160 last year =/
Old March 3, 2013, 11:48 PM   #21
deerslayer303

right here,
http://www.classicfirearms.com/hand-...rider-revolver
Old March 4, 2013, 12:16 AM   #22
Prof Young

Good gun for price.

My six shooter is a Heritage. I like the safety. One more means to keep it all under control. It shoots well, and has the extra cylinder for 22 mag. It's a great little plinker not to mention squirrel hunting.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old March 4, 2013, 12:51 AM   #23
Dr. Strangelove

I bought my brother one for Christmas a couple of years ago. It's a great little gun if you don't try to make it something it's not.

Comparing it to a Single Six is unfair, in my opinion. It's apples to oranges, the RR is not meant to be that kind of gun.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:04 PM   #24
22-rimfire

Quote:
Comparing it to a Single Six is unfair, in my opinion. It's apples to oranges, the RR is not meant to be that kind of gun.
Not unfair in my opinion. The only thing else that you might compare it to is a Uberti revolver and they are hit or miss from my reading. I have been tempted more than once.

The Heritage RR is intended to fill the same niche that H&R and High Standard filled years ago with a cheap/inexpensive revolvers. Now H&R and High Standard have a sort of following on their old products because they were always made with a steel frame and usually worked for many years. I hope Heritage revolvers stand the test of time.
Old March 4, 2013, 02:10 PM   #25
deerslayer303

Good point .22, I don't know how old my 929 is but, I have personally put a BUNCH through it. It keeps right on going. But I clean my guns EVERY time they are shot. So they are always nice and clean and lubricated. The killer of a rim fire pistol IMHO is folks just DON"T clean them. I hear people all the time say "well I have about 1000 rounds through it and I've never cleaned it" as if thats something to brag about . Just because its a .22 does that really make it any less worthy of a cleaning patch?