The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2000, 11:39 AM   #1
Corey

I have just moved into an apartment that does not have room for my RCBS Rockchucker and I neeed help. I have seen Lee Hand presses in MIdway and was wondering a few things:

1) Are they decent or are they junk? I am not expecting the same quality as my Rockchucker, but I shoot 6.5 X 55 and it is expensive.

2) Will they take RCBS dies and shell holders, or do I need Lee dies and shell holders?

3) Will they deprime a case like the Rockchucker or do I need a seperate tool?

4) Should I buy a seperate tool to prime the cases? I was thinking of one before and this would probably be a purchase if I was still using the Rockchucker.

I have everything to reload about 1000 miles away at my parents house and all I need is an alternative to the Rockchucker.
Old October 12, 2000, 02:51 PM   #2
saands

I have a Lee Hand Press and I use Lee dies for all my reloads except the .308. I'm pretty sure that I have the RCBS dies for .308 (they are the ones in the green plastic rectangular boxes, right?). I don't know about the shell holders ... they might not be interchangeable, since I got my shell holder from Lee. The press is NOT junk ... I've been using mine for more than 10 years now. The sizing die should already deprime on your rockchucker ... no reason that it will stop! But you will have to empty the little reservoir every 30 rounds or so. As far as priming goes, I have always used the Lee AutoPrime ... it works really well and costs only $15 or so. I think I got all the questions ... sorry they weren't in order.
saands
Old October 12, 2000, 03:11 PM   #3
Stephen Ewing

Corey, I've got one of each. Maybe two of each, depending on how we're keeping score, but anyway....

1) The Hand Press is decent, but it won't make you forget the Rock Chucker. It's a lot more fun with pistol cases, and FL sizing of rifle cases can sometimes be a PITA.

2) You're set, those things are standardized nicely.

3) If your dies have a decapping pin, you're okay.

4) The hand priming tools are awesome. I've broken two Lees, and the RCBS now appears to be the way to go IMO.

That 6.5X55 is a sweet cartridge, isn't it?

Steve
Old October 12, 2000, 03:24 PM   #4
Pampers

Huntington Die Service has a neet little press that can be used in your hand, or mounted. I mounted mine to an ammo crate with carrage bolts and wing nuts. I use it to seat all my rifle bullets, but it can be used for all steps.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle
Old October 12, 2000, 07:09 PM   #5
trlmech

Lyman also makes a press that can be used as a handheld or bench mounted.The 6.5x55 is very sweet.