The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 21, 2002, 07:40 PM   #1
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

dagblast it!

I have never in my life had a harder time sighting in a rifle in my life.

Dad borrowed my .54 Hawken, screwed with the sights, then I couldn't hit a TARGET at 50 yards with the damn thing!

I know I don't shoot it regularly, but this had me all screwed up, and shooting beyond the point of bruising trying to figure out what gives.

What gives is I haven't been shooting my buckhorn sighted rifles enough. I was trying to lower and raise the rear sight rather than adjusting my sight picture, and not paying attention to how much front sight bead I was using. Dad wasn't hitting anything either until he realized what we were doing wrong.

Darnest thing. SOB kicks like a mule too. Then again 110gr of pyrodex and a 400 gr hollowbase hollwpoint lead slug kicks harder than anything I own.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Sometimes you think you know it all.. then you prove yourself WRONG. Practice practice practice.
Old July 21, 2002, 11:02 PM   #2
yorec

The ol' muzzle loader booming at the range is only secondary in pleasure to the odor that you bring home with you on your clothes... (As addicting as Hoppes No. 9)

Refereing to the buckhorn sights - makes you wonder how many old techniques, tricks and methods have been forgotten over the years, eh?