The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2000, 03:14 PM   #1
Gary H

I have a relatively new 870 Express Defense with a plain Jane finish. The gun stays inside my hopefully dry home in Northern California. I will be taking up three gun in the future and want to make the decision to refinish the gun, or not. The only reason for refinishing would be for greater resistance to rust. Given my limited use of this gun, is this a realistic concern? I would think that the factory blue would hold up to this limited use.
Old August 20, 2000, 06:57 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I think it's a waste of $$. My Dad's 1100 is at least 35 years old and he cleaned it once a year, needed or not.

Wipe it down at the end of a day, detail clean it every 100 rounds or so and you'll be fine. If it does rust or become unsightly, then think of refinishing.

BTW - my Dad ran a case or more of shells through the 1100 per season until the early '80's. Still looks good!

Giz
Old August 20, 2000, 06:58 PM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Double Tap.

Giz

[This message has been edited by Gizmo99 (edited August 20, 2000).]
Old August 20, 2000, 09:02 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Pop bought my HD 870 around 56,used. It's accounted for a messa geese and ducks, plenty of pheasants and quail, busted hundreds of clay birds(shot at thousands) and now protects my family. Md is moist most of the time,and there's zero rust on/in it, tho some bluing is history,maybe ancient history...

IMO,refinish when it needs it, not before...
Old August 20, 2000, 09:24 PM   #5
Gary H

Understood. Thanks for your experience.
Old August 22, 2000, 03:44 PM   #6
jtduncan

Refinish the stock and fore-end with some Tru-Oil. Lightly sand with a very fine sanding sponge or 00 steel wool and then hand rub in a thin coat of Tru-Oil till your hand heats up the wood to get it in deep.

Let it dry 24 hours between coats. Lightly sand and hand rub in another thin even smudge -free coat.

On my 10th coat and it's looking deeper and richer each time but I think I'm done. Went from tan birch look to a walnut/cherry finish.

WD-40 the receiver and barrels.

Compresssed air-blast the receiver assembly and you should be fine for years.

But do the Tru-Oil so water never ruins your stock or fore-end!

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG