The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 31, 2016, 01:30 PM   #1
robocop

S&W 9mm models

What is the difference between models SW9VE and SD9VE?
Old July 31, 2016, 01:51 PM   #2
Old Bill Dibble

Better trigger and a standard night sight. I think the receiver has a different treatment as well.
Old July 31, 2016, 02:03 PM   #3
robocop

Followup

Is one considered a shield model? If so can you tell me which one is the Shield? So embarrassed.
Old July 31, 2016, 02:13 PM   #4
Old Bill Dibble

The shield is under the M&P line a (small) step up. The others are under the Sigma line, it is a legacy line.
Old July 31, 2016, 02:28 PM   #5
robocop

Thank you

So I gather from our conversation that the SW9VE is the standard 9mm. Now I can finally order a proper carry holster. The gun was left to me that is why I am not sure if it a Shield gun or not. It came with 2 mags with a capacity of 15 rounds. So any help I can get is well appreciated. Thank you.
Old July 31, 2016, 03:12 PM   #6
Old Bill Dibble

The Shield is the compact pistol of the M&P line, a completely different gun. Capacity is either 7 or 8.
Old July 31, 2016, 03:15 PM   #7
robocop

Thank you again.

Thanks again my friend. Hope to be good friends with you.
Old July 31, 2016, 05:54 PM   #8
osbornk

The SD is the upgraded SW. The SD has a better trigger. I have the SD and it is a very good gun. I would choose it again. It is very similar in size, weight and function to a Glock 19 with a slightly heavier trigger.
Old July 31, 2016, 07:29 PM   #9
robocop

Great info

Good to know. I am learning more and more on this site..

Thank you
Old August 1, 2016, 09:29 AM   #10
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bill Dibble
Better trigger and a standard night sight. I think the receiver has a different treatment as well.
Only the original SD models introduced in 2010, with no "VE" suffix, had the tritium insert. These pistols were dropped from the catalog in 2012 when the SD9 VE replaced the SW9VE. (Note the space before the "VE" on the newer pistol.)

IMHO the major advantages of the SD series over the previous SW series are (a) dovetailed M&P-type sights, which provide plentiful replacement options; (b) the improved trigger; and (c) a standard Picatinny-style front accessory rail rather than a proprietary rail.

Here's a more thorough rundown.

The SW9VE had a proprietary straight accessory rail, less elaborate slide machining, different grip shape and texture, no frame "fingerprint", and a longer-travel and slightly stiffer trigger, and it takes different magazines. The sights are unique to this series of pistol, and the factory front sight cannot be adjusted or removed non-destructively because it's attached with a plastic peg that is melted or "mushroomed" into place; the peg must be cut and the stock front sight discarded if you want a front night sight. Several different colors and finishes were optional, but the basic SW9VE had a satin stainless slide and black frame.

The SD9 was introduced in 2010. This pistol has fancier slide machining with front slide serrations, a revised Picatinny-style accessory rail, revised grip frame shape and texture, a frame "fingerprint" for your index finger when it's off the trigger, redesigned magazines, M&P-style sights with a front tritium night-sight insert, and a slightly lighter trigger pull. Slide finish was black Melonite and the frames were black.

In 2012, S&W dropped both the SD9 (non-VE) and SW9VE and replaced them with the present SD9 VE, which carries over the SD9 non-VE changes, but with satin stainless slide finish and no front tritium insert.

Last edited by carguychris; August 1, 2016 at 09:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old August 23, 2016, 03:30 PM   #11
robocop

Ty

Thanks for the overview very informative.
Old August 26, 2016, 11:52 AM   #12
fastbolt

The SW9VE was part of the Sigma line, while the SD9VE is part of the newer SD pistol line, both of which used double stack magazines. The SD line incorporated some revisions compared to the Sigma line. If I remember right, back toward the end of the Sigma days the "VE" originally stood for "Value, Enhanced", but it's been a while. S&W apparently kept the designation in their model name.

The Shield is part of the M&P line.