The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 27, 2000, 06:38 PM   #1
IAJack

I purchased a new mossy 835 this weekend, is the 28" ported accu-mag, it came with four chokes, but the manual is kinda confusing?

one of the chokes is marked as follows

Xtra-full
T&F Steel

In the manual it has a chart for lead and steel shot pattern and the Extra Full T&F Steel is on it under the collum steel shot, but on the proceding page it then states to not shoot steel through Extra Full Turkey tubes?

So what gives, is this a mis-print that is confusing me, what can I shoot or not shoot through this gun?

Anyone with any knowlege that can help would be greatly appreciated as mossy's web site is of no help and I want to be safe and easy with the new gun.

thanks

IAJack

Old August 27, 2000, 07:01 PM   #2
DaMan

IAJack, I'm not an expert on Mossbergs, but it sounds like Mossberg has two different extra-full choke tubes. The one marked T&F Steel is for use with STEEL loads of T (.20" size shot) and F (.220" size shot). This is the ammo you would typically use for long range goose shooting where steel shot is mandated.

The extra-full "Turkey" choke is for use with lead (or Nickel/Copper plated lead) shot only. These turkey loads generally use much smaller shot like #4, 5, #6 birdshot.

Regards! DaMan

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited August 27, 2000).]
Old August 28, 2000, 11:48 AM   #3
Bud1

DaMan is 100% correct.

Bud
Old August 29, 2000, 08:45 AM   #4
Poodleshooter

Does anyone know why the Mossberg steel shot tubes are marked for steel shot only? They're hardened enough for 1.5+ ounces of #2,T of F steel shot, so why should 1.75-2oz of #4 or #6 copper plated lead turkey loads cause a problem? Are they too tight of a choke for 2oz of shot?? Are they so hard they would deform the lead shot excessively?