The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old October 18, 2009, 02:47 PM   #1
JohnH1963

Revolver vs. Auto for home defense

I've tossed this around in my mind quite a bit. I enjoy the firepower and quick re-loading capabilities of an automatic. However, a .38 special revolver is easy to operate, safer to handle and easier to fire then any automatic. I honestly do not know if I will be able operate an automatic when I wake up from a sound sleep. However, a revolver is a no brainer.

I believe that 2 shots from a revolver will slow the movement of any human being. Even if the shot is not placed on the head or heart, its going to hit something whether it be the right lung, the stomach, the legs or arms. A hit to a non-vital area is going to significantly impede the performance of anyone.

For an ordinary citizen as myself, I believe a revolver will be enough firepower, but maybe a police officer might need a bit more with the possibility of a purposeful assault everf present.

I am seeing 8-shot revolvers being produced by Taurus. So it seems that it will have enough shots to take on more then one house-guest.

Im wondering what your thoughts are on this matter.
Old October 18, 2009, 02:50 PM   #2
fisherman66

I agree with everything except Taurus.
Old October 18, 2009, 02:55 PM   #3
JohnH1963

I know the reputation of Taurus, but its an ample self-defense weapon. Someone who buys a Taurus revolver isnt getting one for competition, but usually for home defense where only a fair amount of accuracy is required. Taurus puts a lifetime warranty on all of its weapons too.

In a home defense situation you need a weapon that will be able to intimidate and hit targets reliably from say 20 feet away. You can get that done with the economical Taurus.
Old October 18, 2009, 02:58 PM   #4
fisherman66

Suit yerself.
Old October 18, 2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Firepower!

I really wish that Taurus were good. I really do! It would make life lot easier by spending less money and getting quality firearms. However, as of now it seems like a dream.

As per intimidation factor, I rather I have something that for sure goes 'bang' when I pull the trigger. I dont buy any handgun for competition really. I buy them and practice with them to be able to decently compete at various levels.

As for revolver vs auto: I feel more comfortable with auto at home because of my kids now being able to open drawers etc. When I am out and about, I am becoming more of a revolver guy. Pull it out and bang!
Old October 18, 2009, 03:22 PM   #6
CWPinSC

Use what you shoot best/most easily under stress. For middle-of-the-night a revolver can't be beat. Just be damn sure what you're shooting at when you do. Identify your target.
Old October 18, 2009, 03:43 PM   #7
NRAhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH
safer to handle and easier to fire then any automatic
How so? I'd be interested to hear the rationale behind considering a revolver "safer" than a semi-automatic pistol; and I'd certainly contend that it is not easier to fire than most semi-auto designs. This is primarily due to the trigger being more difficult to manage on a revolver than a semi-auto.
Old October 18, 2009, 04:07 PM   #8
raftman

Yeah I had the same question. I'm no expert, but I don't see anything that makes a revolver inherently safer than a semi-auto. I, for example, feel safer with semi-autos because I'm much more experienced with them, more competent with them, shoot them by far more often.

Is the longer, harder DA trigger pull supposed to keep you from pulling the trigger unnecessarily? Because you can get that from most semi-autos too.
Old October 18, 2009, 04:22 PM   #9
Ronbert

I prefer revolvers for house guns because everyone can figure out how to make them shoot and everyone can be fairly certain whether it's loaded or not. There isn't a surprise round up the pipe to discover the hard way and there's no special monkey motion required to get them loaded.

There is also potentially the "honest men use revolvers while gangstas use semi-autos" aspect to the court fight afterwards. (not that I agree there should ever be such nonsense but DAs and the press don't always operate rationally)

(My house gun would be an auto if I lived alone.)
Old October 18, 2009, 04:26 PM   #10
Levers

Personally I prefer a revolver for the night stand. 4" - 357 loaded with CorBon 38 special +P's. I have a colt 380 gov mustang, steel frame for conceled carry so I have nothing against auto's. It's a mattter of what you feel comfortable with in a high stress situation. For me in the middle of the night that's a revolver, but everyone is different.
Old October 18, 2009, 05:14 PM   #11
Maromero

S&W 686 seven shot or the 8 shot N frame.
Old October 18, 2009, 05:34 PM   #12
Nick-Mc

I keep my S&W .38 loaded up in the bedside table, but that was the Glocks place before I sold it. I honestly think your better off with a High-cap 9mm. My G17 had a 17 round mag (almost three cylinders full of my 38!), and I kept another 17 round reload in the drawer. It was easier to handle and more accurate than my .38 (but i'm not saying i'm anywhere near a perfect shot). But, I unfortunately sold it to fund another toy and the .38 took up its place.

Bottom line though, i'd go with what you are comfortable with....that is always your best bet.
Old October 18, 2009, 05:37 PM   #13
Piper Cub

I really wish that Taurus were good. I really do! It would make life lot easier by spending less money and getting quality firearms. However, as of now it seems like a dream.

As per intimidation factor, I rather I have something that for sure goes 'bang' when I pull the trigger. I dont buy any handgun for competition really. I buy them and practice with them to be able to decently compete at various levels.

As for revolver vs auto: I feel more comfortable with auto at home because of my kids now being able to open drawers etc. When I am out and about, I am becoming more of a revolver guy. Pull it out and bang!
Old October 18, 2009, 05:45 PM   #14
#18indycolts

Quote:
I am becoming more of a revolver guy. Pull it out and bang!
both my autos do that.
Old October 18, 2009, 05:48 PM   #15
Superhouse 15

I think the vast majority of firearms bought by the average homeowner get loaded and stuck in the sock drawer "just in case" and rarely practiced with if at all. For most people who don't train or maintain their pistol and load it with whatever the salesman gave them at purchase the revolver is a good choice. It can survive lack of lube and sock drawer lint in the action and still fire anything that will fit in the chamber, even if you have to crank 20 pounds of pressure on the trigger. That might choke even a quality auto. Is it safer, sure for the untrained. That heavier and longer DA pull resists finger-on-trigger accidents (not prevents, resists). Lack of a manual safety prevents someone looking at the gun and cranking on the trigger trying to figger out wher the safety is.
Old October 18, 2009, 05:56 PM   #16
Ricky

What can be simpler than a Glock?

I used to think revolvers were simpler but then I bought a Glock. No safety, just point and shoot. when your done just put it down, it's in the same condition it was in less the fired rounds. Way more firepower than a 6 shooter.
As for Taurus. You say you don't need that good of a gun for home defense? Personally I put a higher value on protecting my family than anything else. Got to be reliable, Who knows when a cheap gun will fail?
Old October 18, 2009, 06:00 PM   #17
Rich Keagy

Kimber 1911 .45. It'll do.
Old October 18, 2009, 06:16 PM   #18
Ricky

nothing wrong with a 1911 but...

For me, I like guns, I like to shoot guns, I like to practice. My wife on the other hand only shoots because she needs to know how to. She needs a gun that is stupid simple. No safety to remember to release and when the shooting is done she certainly won't have the presence of mind to put the safety back on. The Glock although not as pretty as a nice 1911 is "Stupid simple" and as reliable as any gun. other than the Glock I'd give her a revolver for home defense.
Old October 18, 2009, 06:29 PM   #19
bambam1723

I have always been a auto type guy....but that has been changing. I am starting to lean towards reveolvers b/c they are much more reliable imho. No fail to feeds or stove pipes.

lthough I believe the 12 gauge is the ideal home defense weapon
Old October 18, 2009, 06:58 PM   #20
Mannlicher

for about 150 years, out in the real world, folks have used revolvers. If they did not work, they would be gone.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old October 18, 2009, 07:07 PM   #21
buck9

Revoler for Me

I have a glock and a Walther and they are good guns like them both. But the one I shoot most and is loaded beside my bed is my S&W model 64. But under the bed is what I grab first. My pistol grip shotgun.
Old October 18, 2009, 07:11 PM   #22
raftman

I dunno how much stock one should put into the "revolvers are more reliable" theory. I know I've seen some real unreliable revolvers, even from reputable manufacturers. There are problems that cannot be resolved simply by pulling the trigger again. The reason I think people report more problems with semi-autos is because these days, there are many more semi-autos out there, and many more manufacturers of semi-autos out there, particularly when it comes to low-end makers. There's still plenty of companies making truly low-end semi-autos, such as Cobra or Jimenez, but truly crappy revolvers (like RG or Clerke) are no longer being made in/for the US market (I know, I know Taurus is often terrible, but I'd take one of those over a Bryco/Jennings any day).

A good semi-auto, however, can be just as reliable as any revolver in just about any situation. Sure there'll be people who argue, "yeah but you can shoot a hammerless revolver from inside your pocket!" That's generally nonsense, though.
Old October 18, 2009, 07:17 PM   #23
GeauxTide

Comme tu Desir

As you like it. I owned nothing but revolvers until a Springfield Mil-Spec.
Old October 18, 2009, 08:35 PM   #24
Jim March

Quote:
How so? I'd be interested to hear the rationale behind considering a revolver "safer" than a semi-automatic pistol; and I'd certainly contend that it is not easier to fire than most semi-auto designs.
NYPD saw a significant rise in accidental discharges when they switched away from DA revolvers (mostly if not exclusively S&W) and switched to Glocks. They upped the trigger pulls but that didn't really solve much.

With a standard modern wheelgun, the first step in takedown and cleaning disables the gun as a firing weapon: swinging the cylinder out. It's also dead easy to sort out whether or not it's loaded. With an auto, figuring out if it's loaded or not isn't at all easy. It's easier with big-bores but with a 9mm it's not uncommon to have a round lurking "up the pipe" and unnoticed. It's also possible to screw up the order of the "drop the mag" and "rack the slide and look in there" steps (oops). And specific to the Glock, the takedown procedure starts with dry-fire and if you've screwed up and left a round in there it IS getting cranked off.

Hope your muzzle direction and backstop are OK.

Glocks are very unforgiving of mistakes, moreso than a 1911 in my view.

PS: I can make a good argument that the safest handgun action of all is a transfer-bar equipped SA wheelgun, esp. Ruger's New Model action that loads/unloads with the hammer down.
Old October 18, 2009, 09:43 PM   #25
Jeremiah/Az

I have & carry either at times. I believe for the occasional shooter the revolver is easier if not safer in your scenario of waking up in the middle of the night. If you have a dud or FTF,FTE with an auto & a flashlite in one hand,it can be awkward to clear unless you are well practiced with it.
Closed Thread