The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 8, 2009, 09:00 PM   #1
surfgod247

Nj pistol Permit question

So towards the end of last summer i applied for my F.I.D card, it was approved in just shy of two and a half months and for the most part the people at the station that i talked to where very nice to me. I spent some time looking at gun trying to shoot what guns i could get a hold of and finally made a decisions. I applied 30 days ago and gave them a call today to check the statues of my permits. The guy I talked to was extremely nice and up front with me, but told me best case scenario was another 30 days. He said there so backed up with permits that the average wait is just shy of 3 months. My question is does anyone know if im allowed to file with the state of police instead of my local p.d? My friend filed one there last month and was able to get it turned around in under 30 days.
Old May 9, 2009, 09:30 AM   #2
PoorSoulInJersey

I'm pretty sure you can only file with the state police if your town doesn't have its own police.
Old May 10, 2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Dewhitewolf

I tried that strategy when the local police were dragging their feet on my FID (took 8 months, btw). Local police blamed everyone (state, FBI, post office, personal references, etc.) except for themselves for the delays. Then they said that the chief was on medical leave, and therefore no firearm documents could be approved.

State police basically told me it was my problem, and that I could only apply with the local police. They did however tell me that the next person after the chief could approve it, which my police department disagreed with (long story, but a complaint to the mayor's office got the matter resolved).

My understanding is that the state police can only process applications from areas with no local police.
Old May 10, 2009, 09:16 AM   #4
ejfalvo

It usually takes about 2 weeks for me to get my pistol permit - they know me by now. I do live in Northern NJ where there are more deer than people. According to the local LEO, they have 1 admin completing the pistol paperwork full time vs once a week last year.

Be patient.
Old May 10, 2009, 09:40 AM   #5
PoorSoulInJersey

I should probably add, be careful not to tick off your local PD. You don't want your application moved to the bottom of the pile once a week.
Old May 24, 2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Phen0m24

Hello all -

I've been lurking here on the forum trying to research firearms purchases and so forth. Applied for FID and pistol permit here in NJ (Brick) in February of 09.

Still nothing back.

Reading the "8 months" comment above is a little unsettling.
Old May 26, 2009, 11:49 AM   #7
jg0001

I got my FPID more than a year before Obama came into office and it STILL took 4 months back then for the FPID to show up. They did the "pistol permit" at the same time, so that first go 'round was limited to one long wait.

About a year later (post Obama), I went back for another round of pistol permits and it took about 35 days to get them. I had to fill out the same form as for my FPID and have two acquaintences fill out paperwork as well as let them call my place of business (i.e. my boss), again. It seems like this is the process EVERY time you want to buy a new handgun.

*** It's worth noting that LEGALLY they don't have anything more than 30 days to "DENY" your FPID, otherwise, they're supposed to issue it. The local PD brought that up before I did and basically said "good luck with that, you'll get it when you get it". The only other step here is to hire a lawyer, but unless you want to do that EVERY time you need a permit, it's probably not worth the trouble or cost.***

Source: (note, the FEES in the below are certainly outdated; I was charged more at every level)
http://www.njguns.com/permit.htm

Last edited by jg0001; May 26, 2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old May 26, 2009, 08:48 PM   #8
Phen0m24

Spoke too soon!!!

Got the call from Brick PD today.

Now to go shopping....

Old May 30, 2009, 07:09 AM   #9
Lunicy

Congrats, Shore shot is right down the road. Andy is good people. Now you have to get a range membership. Might I suggest Central Jersey. PM me if you want details. (it has 24 hr indoor range, and there are no range officers in your way asking stupid questions. There are no range officers in the club period. It is a self-policing club.)

My town is pretty good with permits. Keep in mind, they have 30 days to approve of deny your app. Having said that, It usually takes me 6 weeks. I'm not bitching about 2 extra weeks. 8 months, Even Nappen would have already been at their door.
Old May 31, 2009, 09:02 AM   #10
Dewhitewolf

^^^I can't afford Evan Nappen. My retail wage barely helps me keep my head above water.
Old October 4, 2009, 12:07 AM   #11
Phen0m24

Finally back to this thread...

Bought a pre-owned Sig P226. Picking it up from dealer shortly.

Now looking at bore snake, magazines, etc. What fun.

Can't wait to take it to the range.

Glenn
Old October 7, 2009, 10:22 PM   #12
phildinnj

9 mm, 357 SIG or 40 S&W? the 226 is a great platform, i think you will really enjoy shooting it.

if it's a 40 or 357, you may want to consider picking up a Bar-Sto 9 mm conversion barrel some day - that will let you shoot a second caliber out of your 226 with no additional NJ permit required.

no matter what caliber it is, you may also want to think about picking up a SIG .22 LR conversion kit for it too, still fun to shoot and a lot cheaper than the larger calibers.