The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 8, 2001, 06:40 PM   #1
MightyMouse

Best OC

I'm new to this forum and would like to ask a question...who makes the best OC and why. Also, what is the best delivery pattern; spray/stream/foam/other? Why? I'm working as a security officer and am able to carry this tool, but I want the best for when I can't run away Thanks!
Old August 8, 2001, 07:46 PM   #2
swsurgeon

One of the best is www.guardalaska.com. I've also heard good things about Fox.

Welcome aboard!
Old August 8, 2001, 10:27 PM   #3
KPS

Welcome.www.foxlabs.com makes the strongest OC.The OC's effectiveness is rated in SHU's.Most populat OC brands are 2,000,000 SHU's or less and Fox's is 5.3 million.Many people are misinformed and think the higher % of capscium the stronger the spray.Fox sprays are used by many LEOs.As far as spray/stream/foam....I prefer a spray but I think it is just a personal preference.
Old August 9, 2001, 05:40 AM   #4
David Park

I carry the small Fox keychain unit everywhere, and have a 2oz. fogger spray by my apartment door. KPS is right, the SHU value determines the effectiveness, and the % is more related to how long the effects last. The fog type is generally considered the most effective, but it can also be blown back in your face by wind. I keep a few of the decontamination wipes handy just in case.

You can order Fox here:
http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/pepper.htm
Old August 9, 2001, 05:02 PM   #5
swsurgeon

Check the www.guardalaska.com site for an interesting discussion of heat ratings, etc.
Old August 9, 2001, 10:22 PM   #6
David Park

More information on heat ratings is here:
http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/pepperinfo.htm

SHU ratings are no longer determined by taste, but by liquid chromatography. I have no doubt that the Guard Alaska spray is some nasty stuff, though.
Old August 9, 2001, 10:53 PM   #7
Coronach

I've been sprayed by Freeze and by Fox.

Fox is worse. True liquid pain.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old August 11, 2001, 03:44 PM   #8
Josh

What is the big difference between the fog and the stream other then the distance they spray?

Which is better for all around use?

I sent away for the Fox brand in what I thought was the stream, only to find out later that it is the fog.

It seems that the 2 oz model has different color of buttons for stream and fog.

Old August 12, 2001, 02:04 AM   #9
David Park

(I'm no expert but...)
OC works best if it is atomized (i.e. fog). In this form it is easily inhaled and absorbed by the mucous membranes. With streams, the OC can be trapped in the carrier liquid and not work as quickly. This may not be a problem with the Guard Alaska spray, I don't know. For other sprays, you should always shake well before use to make sure the OC is well-mixed with the carrier.

The disadvantage to fog spray is that it can be blown around by the wind, and as you said it may have less range. I have a fog unit by my apartment door, since wind or range probably won't be an issue. My keychain unit is a stream, because that is all Fox offers. You should always briefly test your spray outside, both to make sure it works and to see the fog/stream pattern.

In the big scheme of things, I don't think the type of spray matters that much. OC is not guaranteed to stop a determined attacker, and the effectiveness varies. I don't count on it stopping someone immediately, so my plan is to "spray and run" if I ever have to use it.