The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 8, 2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Show me your hunting handgun set-ups

Last night, I watched the Hickok45 video featuring a review of the Ruger SBH Hunter. I came very close to licking my screen.

Now I should point out that, whilst I'm sure he's a thoroughly decent chap, my reaction was entirely due to the Ruger SA that Hickok45 was holding.

I know that I can't justify making changes to my collection just to get a big .44 SA but that doesn't stop me hankering for one.

So....

....I want to see either the handgun you hunt with or the one you have set plans to use.
I am not interested in "my idea hunting hand gun would be"...

I want to only know about the "is" or the "will be", but not the "would be".

As long as it is a handgun fitting the above definition, I have no restrictions on the platform in question. Revolvers (DA/SA, SA), Semis, Single shots...

Also feel free to tell me about what you shoot through it: weights, velocities and any holdover techniques you've noted.

Pictures bordering on compulsory!!

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; November 8, 2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old November 8, 2014, 08:09 PM   #2
mxsailor803

Unfortunately, I'm not even close to my hunting handgun right now as I'm away on work. Mine is a S&W 629 .44mag with a Bushnell Trophy red dot right now. I am saving up for a nice Leupold eventually though. I grew up using my dads SBH for hogs and deer and thats what got me interested in handgun hunting. To me different style of hunting but a lot of fun.
Old November 9, 2014, 01:10 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

Ruger SBH 7.5" (.44 Mag, of course).

Plain. Simple. Effective.

This one is on its second life. Ruger completely rebuilt and refinished it two years ago, keeping hardly more than just my original frames and grips.
Old November 9, 2014, 03:17 AM   #4
codefour

This is my SBH Bisley frame. I prefer the grip of the Bisley. The scope is a Leupold 2X. The factory grips were horrible. I installed a set of Eagle grips that greatly improved control. The factory trigger was ok at best. A Wolfe spring set and a little honing made great improvements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0737.JPG (168.4 KB, 458 views)

Last edited by codefour; November 9, 2014 at 03:35 AM.
Old November 9, 2014, 07:07 AM   #5
Mike / Tx

To see the ones I carry the most, simply look up the Ruger Redhawk with the 7.5" barrel, stock sights, and maybe a set of Pachmayr Presentation grips thrown in one one of them, and some Hogue's on another. I have these RH's in 41,44, and 45 Colt. As for which one gets the most field time, I don't really play favorites, they all will do all I need getting done out to 75-100yds.

For loads,

in the 41, the "BEST" load I have at this time, uses the Remington 200gr SJHP over 20.5grs of 296 in Starline cases lit with Win WLP primers. THese have taken close to a dozen hogs out between 75 and 100+yds and I don't even know how many under 50yds. It simply works and is VERY accurate.

With the 44, I use the Rem 240gr SJHP over 23.5grs of 296 in Starline cases with Win WLP primers. Similar to above results but not much over 50yds with this one.

The 45 Colt, to be honest, it has shot nothing but cast loads in weights ranging form 200gr RNFP's up through 300gr WFN's, all very accurately. My primary carry load is the MP 45-270 SAA with the small HP loaded over 13grs of HS-6, in Starline cases. This one shoots well out to 100yds, but I doubt I would use it that far unless on some fleeing feral hogs. I just haven't shot it enough at that range to say I am good to go with the trajectory. It will hit hard though, if I can do my part.

A side note to the above "loads"...

I have been working with my cast bullets for the past couple of years. I have several which DO shoot well in the 41 and 44, but I simply haven't gotten to the point of calling them good. I keep piddling with the alloy, powders, and bullets types. They all have merit, but not what I would call an all around load just yet. There are simply too many things for ME to consider when deciding to stick with one load and calling it good, that I haven't made up my mind on. I mean with the cast, simply changing one little thing like the lube, or shape, or even the alloy by a small percentage can do drastic things to groups. It's not like jacketed where you can pick the bullet you want, then the powder you want and simply loads up to a nice "magnum" load.
Old November 9, 2014, 09:41 AM   #6
Husqvarna

like if I wasnt jealous enough about US gun laws I would really really like to handgun hunt but it is verboten here

I'd take a moose up close with a revolver,, not to mention how good it would be when I track already wounded animals and only need a coup de grace,

I am a competent enough shot to pass licesing requirements here but I haven't got a big bore revolver yet, it will probably be a ruger
Old November 9, 2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I would really really like to handgun hunt but it is verboten here
In Estonia rimfire handguns are allowed, but only really to dispatch small animals in traps or snares. They have recently allowed bow hunting. I hope that all hunters here only take the shot if they are confident of an ethical quick death for the animal.

The way I see it you have to be pretty good with a bow to achieve that. I also believe that it would be easier to make a quick effective kill with a .44Mag 7.5", scoped, at 50m than with a bow.

For that reason, if bow hunting is allowed, it seems to me that handgun should be too. I'd anticipate minimum calibres and sight radii, but apart from that I don't see why not.

Who knows.... once I get my licence, perhaps can petition a change!!
Old November 9, 2014, 10:50 AM   #8
mete

First learn to shoot .For some that's easier said than done . I take deer out to 50-60m with quick ~ 2 sec shots . with my M29 S&W with iron sights. Normally one shot kills ! So no scope , no rest . I keep it to about 60m max with factory premium ammo especially the 225 gr Barnes all copper .
Practice often .Get involved with metallic silhouette matches. It can be done.
When states here started to permit big game hunting with handgun often they required performance proof though performance proof was not required from rifle shooters .We complianed about that !!
The 44 mag is well suited for animals 300 lbs or more under those conditions.
Old November 9, 2014, 02:59 PM   #9
Husqvarna

Quote:
In Estonia rimfire handguns are allowed, but only really to dispatch small animals in traps or snares
yeah here to, and badgers but the license to get a hunting 22a is insane. you almost have to be a professional hunter

Germany is much better, with a regular hunting license you are allowed all the rifles and shotguns you want and 2 handguns

a small terrier and a 22pistol is really fun to, hunting fox holes
Old November 9, 2014, 03:15 PM   #10
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
you almost have to be a professional hunter
Here, although there are some hoops to jump through, a hunting licence covers you for everything, I think. I believe you need to do a marksmanship test to show you have at least a moderate level of skill at reasonable distances so that you are not wounding animals unnecessarily and i have no issues with that step.

You know, you could just come over on a Tallink ferry for some hunting here!! Finns do it quite a bit, I believe!!

Mete:
Got some pics of that there M29? Don't be shy!!

Same goes for you Mike/Tx !!
Old November 9, 2014, 03:18 PM   #11
Pond, James Pond

@Frankenmauser:
Very cool. Looks a lot like the used 3-screw that I agonised over a while back.

@Codefour:
Ye gods! That is NICE!

I have a RH 4", so why to Ruger SA's tempt me so much?! I've never even shot one!!
Old November 9, 2014, 03:53 PM   #12
taylorce1

Here is one I tried, I didn't shoot it well so I went back to rifles.

7mm-08

.280 GNR

Old November 9, 2014, 04:10 PM   #13
Fisher

I have used my Thompson Center Contender 44 magnum with a 12" barrel to hunt deer here in Ohio for over 20 years now. I have lost track of how many deer it has taken. It really likes to shoot the Hornady 240 grain XTP bullets over a health dose of Winchester 296 powder. There have been several deer taken at the 100 yard mark.

This Ruger SBH with a 7 1/2" barrel on it is my backup. It is of 1971 vintage and shoots like a dream.

Jim
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and passed on ... or we will spend our sunset years telling our children's children what it was like in the United States when men were free."
~ Ronald Reagan
Old November 9, 2014, 10:09 PM   #14
mete

Mr Pond , certainly you've seen a 6.5" M29 ? With Pachmyer grips . Though you may see more with scopes these days from all the wimps ! It's taken it's share of white tailed deer and young red deer culls.
unfortunately this year all my guns are on vacation.
Old November 9, 2014, 11:01 PM   #15
Crankylove

I'll have find some pics of mine.

I carry a 6 1/2" Blackhawk in .41 Mag............or a 5 1/2" Blackhawk .45 Convertible with the .45 Colt cylinder............or a 4" GP100...........or a 5" Kimber in .45 ACP...........or an SP101 in .327 Mag. Just depends on the terrain, how far I feel like hiking, and what animal(s) I'm after.
Old November 10, 2014, 07:36 PM   #16
Hunter Customs

Quote:
This is my SBH Bisley frame. I prefer the grip of the Bisley. The scope is a Leupold 2X. The factory grips were horrible. I installed a set of Eagle grips that greatly improved control. The factory trigger was ok at best. A Wolfe spring set and a little honing made great improvements.
codefour, I have a SBH Bisley just like that however mine does not have a scope or the nice grips.

I really like the grips on your revolver, I'm going to have to find me a pair.

I don't have a picture of the gun I'll be deer hunting with this year.
It's a Cimarron Uberti Bisley, 5.5 inch barrel in 45 Colt caliber.
As soon I'm done deer hunting with it this year I'll be sending the grip frame to Sack Peterson for a pair of his stag grips to be fitted.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old November 10, 2014, 09:11 PM   #17
mikejonestkd

My TC encore, I have several barrels for it. The one in the pic is a .243 win.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old November 11, 2014, 03:21 AM   #18
BIG P

Mines a Super Red Hawk 7.5 454 with a nikon Monarch 2.5-8x28 scope & Hogue grips,and a sweet trigger.Took a ton of deer & hogs 2 black bears.She's a bit of a BEAST to handle but it's MY BEAST
Old November 11, 2014, 03:32 AM   #19
hartcreek

I hunt with several handguns but for this year I carried my Uberti Cattleman for deer and bear using my own reloads from twenty some years ago 22.7 grains of 296 over a hard cast 240 grain gaschecked SWC.

Last edited by hartcreek; December 26, 2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old November 16, 2014, 11:56 PM   #20
nickE10mm

Here are the ones I'll have on the roster for this season....

Here are the 10mm's (minus the tac-light, obviously):

And here is ol' Blackie (obviously, the red dot lives on the G20 above and this SBH instead has a green FO front sight):