The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 15, 2014, 08:08 PM   #1
Model12Win

My New Defensive Carbine

Hey guys, my new defensive carbine arrived at my LGS last week via Gun Broker. I have been wanting this gun for a long time now, and I must say, it was worth the wait! I now present to you, in all it's glory, my new Norinco Type 56 SKS rifle!

This gun is just awesome! I shot it once at the range last weekend, and it performed flawlessly through 120 rounds of Tula steel-cased 123 grain FMJ 7.62x39mm ammo. Accuracy at 50 yards standing produced groups of about 3", which is about tops for me. This gun has a very good trigger that breaks at I'd guess 6-7 lbs and with only minor creep, with a clean break. I have no doubts that the rifle is capable of much better than 6 MOA, I am not that experienced as a rifle shooter and I'd wager the gun could easily cut this number in half if shot from a bench with a better shooter than I.

I also got some accesories for this gun: some BXN65 Czech made stripper clips (excellent), two Russian made ammo pouches, a sling, and a cleaning rod since the gun originally didn't have one. I also bought a case worth of ammo which I intend to use for training and to keep loaded on stripper clips in the pouches for possible defensive uses.

So speaking of that, how would you rate my choice as a fighting carbine? I like the fact that it shoots 7.62x39mm ammo, which I hear is effective for personal defense (when over-penetration is not a primary concern) and is fairly inexpensive to train with and stock up on. I have practiced loading the rifle with the stripper clips and I must say, this thing can be reloaded FAST especially when drawing extra clips from the ammo pouch. This carbine only holds 10 rounds of ammo, but with semi-automatic fire and stripper clip feed I feel this will generally be enough for any defensive scenario I might find myself in. Do you feel this way too?

The recent events in the world had made it clear to me that it was time for me to get a rifle I could use for self defense in the situations that warranted such a weapon. Do you guys think the SKS could be a good rifle for this role? I appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks!
Old August 15, 2014, 08:27 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Seems quite sensible, to me.
Old August 15, 2014, 11:07 PM   #3
Glockstar .40

Since you said that over penetration isn't a concern for you then I'd say you got yourself a good HD gun. I love my sks!
Old August 16, 2014, 01:06 AM   #4
9x19

Congrats!
Old August 16, 2014, 01:45 AM   #5
jeager106

norinco. you got a good one.
Old August 16, 2014, 06:54 AM   #6
lunger

I have a twin to yours and no complaints.

While some snobs may say if you don't have a $5000 AR your under gunned.

I think you are well armed and have made a wise choise.
Old August 16, 2014, 10:01 AM   #7
iraiam

Yes, they are good rifles, I have one that I bought in 1992, A 1967 Jianshe armory rifle that appeared to have low use on it. I would not feel under gunned at all if I had to use it.

I used to practice with mine quite a bit, with good stripper clips and a 200 round chest bandolier or ammo pouches, it is still an effective weapon IHMO.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old August 16, 2014, 10:15 AM   #8
kymarkh

Great guns. Put a peep sight on mine and its now much easier for me to shoot it accurately.
Old August 16, 2014, 12:11 PM   #9
iraiam

Hmm, I'm not sure how I double posted.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; August 17, 2014 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old August 16, 2014, 12:21 PM   #10
Jim243

Congratulations. They are a surprise to shoot. Great rifles and you are correct a lot of fun.

Good Shooting and stay safe.
Jim

Old August 16, 2014, 08:14 PM   #11
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockstar .40
Since you said that over penetration isn't a concern for you then I'd say you got yourself a good HD gun.
With the right ammo, over-penetration will be less of a concern than most defensive handgun loads. Don't get me wrong, it will still be a concern, but V-max bullets tend to penetrate less than most JHP handgun loads.
Old August 16, 2014, 08:29 PM   #12
Model12Win

UPDATE:

Just shot 100 more rounds through the gun at the range this afternoon. The gun, once again, performed FLAWLESSLY. I am really impressed with the trigger on this feller! Was shooting at a 25 yard range indoor target, sitting mostly with gun supported by arms with an ammo pouch to cushion elbow. Was managing about a 2" group this way. Again, I'm sure the rifle can do better, it's me that is holding it back!

My stripper clips for the rifle are BXN marked, and they performed wonderfully. I am also pleased with my Russian army leather ammo pouches. They are really nice! Now all I need is 10 thousand quintillion metric tons of ammunition and my own gravity negator so they don't collectively ignite in fusion!
Old August 16, 2014, 10:13 PM   #13
Glockstar .40

Quote:
With the right ammo, over-penetration will be less of a concern than most defensive handgun loads. Don't get me wrong, it will still be a concern, but V-max bullets tend to penetrate less than most JHP handgun loads.
I agree! The evolution of bullets has been nothing short of outstanding. I really like hornady everything. Luckily for the OP it won't matter what ammo he uses since he doesn't have to worry about over penetration where he is. So he can load it up with whatever. My primary HD gun is my AR so my norinco is loaded up with cheap wolf ammo.
Old August 16, 2014, 10:15 PM   #14
Glockstar .40

Quote:
UPDATE:

Just shot 100 more rounds through the gun at the range this afternoon. The gun, once again, performed FLAWLESSLY.
Yep sounds about right! My norinco eats everything I feed it.
Old August 16, 2014, 10:20 PM   #15
Sappyg

An excellent choice but.... You're gonna need more ammo.
Old August 17, 2014, 10:31 AM   #16
Dirty_Harry

For a HD carbine I like something with a detachable mag, but thats me. Frankly if your not fighting in a large battle it shouldnt make a difference. Looks really nice. You got yourself a nice reliable firearm.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old August 17, 2014, 02:23 PM   #17
Model12Win

Thanks guys! I have been finding that I can load this rifle with stripper clips faster than I can change a mag on most rifles. It is really easy, the bolt stays open last round, insert clip, strip, pull out clip and nudge charging handle. Can be completed much faster than reading this.

DADDY LIKE!!!!!
Old August 17, 2014, 03:06 PM   #18
smee78

I miss the days of the $89 dollar SKS.