The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 1, 2013, 08:19 AM   #1
chrisp51

Slide to frame fit

I have a older model FEG Hi-power clone. The overall condition of the pistol is very nice but there is, what I consider, too much play between the slide and frame. Is there any way that this play can be reduced without causing damage to the pistol? Thanks.
Old October 1, 2013, 10:59 AM   #2
JNad

Have you shot it yet?

I have a similar pistol that rattles like a bag of marbles, and you can actually see the slide shift slightly when the sear lever engages. However, it shoots REALLY nice groups, and runs like a swiss watch.

I have very little experience working on Hi-Powers (I changed all the springs in my Israeli HP clone, and polished out some rough spots - that's it), but I would expect it is possible to swage the rails down similar to the way 1911's get done.
Old October 1, 2013, 11:08 AM   #3
Claude Clay

proper lock up of the barrel at the chamber and the muzzle, as the sights are on the slide, has more to do with accuracy than the frame fit. i'm with JNad.

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old October 1, 2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

The closest you can get it, is around 0.001" clearance on each side, or 0.002" overall. Any tighter, and I have found problems arising. You can mash the slide rails in with a vise or a fixture, then use a good lapping compound to free it up, and obtain the value, but that close of a fitting tolerance is only applicable for match pistols, as any grit or dirt may foul it in the field.

If it shoots great right now, I wouldn't tip it.