The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 11, 2013, 04:58 PM   #1
Wyoredman

My father and his AR-15! A story of changed minds.

Fifteen or so years ago I purchased my first Ar type rifle. At the time, my dad could not see any reason to own such a gun, so he made his displeasure known to anyone who would listen. "I just don't know what you are going to use that thing for." And "You are foolish to spend money on something like that."

At first, he would refuse to shoot it. Then as the years passed, he slowly began to see how much fun we were having. Several friends get together every so often and have a ammo burning session. Dad would sit back and watch.

Eventually, he began to involve himself, shooting a mag here, and a mag there. But he never really gave up on the idea that these AR things were nothing more than frivolous and expensive wastes of money.

Recently pops has shown alot more interest. Slowly he has become more involved during the range session. He started buying some ammo a year or so back. I was starting to see a smile form on his face every time it was his turn to "smoke 'em up"!

Well, last week, he finally crossed over to the dark side. We were out shooting and dad says "Were do you think I could get one of those damn things?"! Imagine the surprise on my face!

Well, since I own several AR's, and had just purchased a new one, I thought "what the heck".

Yesterday, after shooting all of our ammo, I took the new AR over and put it in Dad's truck when he wasn't looking.

As we were getting in our vehicles to leave, Dad sees the rifle in his seat and yells at me "Come get your gun outa' my truck!"

I walk over look in his truck and calmly say, "Thats not my gun, thats your gun. Be sure to give it a good cleaning when you get home!"

The look on his face was priceless! I bet he is still smileing today!

Another one down!
Old March 11, 2013, 05:18 PM   #2
TxPhantom

Those things grow on you!

Great story! I can relate to your dad. At first I didn't have any desire for a AR 15 ( I still like my Thompson Center, 30-06, Venture for hunting) but as time, and stories like yours came to pass, I came around.
Last Sept. we bought a S & W, M & P, AR 15 at Cheaper Than Dirt with Eotech Hologram sight, and a bunch of ad on's, plus 400 rounds of ammo, all for around $1,800.00. The same gun with the same equiptment is selling at C.T.D. for around $3,400.00,...... less the ammo. Now I wish I had bought ten of them!
I bet you are your dad's favorite son now!
USA OUT OF THE UN- LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Old March 11, 2013, 05:31 PM   #3
iowamike

Great story
I am sure he is proud of both of you. (You and his new AR)
Old March 11, 2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Wyoredman

What's even better, Dad is no Spring Chick! Let's just say that he passed retirement age several years ago!
Old March 11, 2013, 05:54 PM   #5
RonR6

That is very good to hear. As you stated above, tell your dad welcome to the dark side.
Old March 11, 2013, 06:06 PM   #6
TJMehaf

Great Story!
Old March 11, 2013, 06:08 PM   #7
certified106

Re: My father and his AR-15! A story of changed minds.

Awesome story! Glad to hear he converted, lol
Old March 11, 2013, 06:31 PM   #8
tynman

Thats great... I wish I could ever have a relationship like that with my dad. Good for you guys.
Old March 11, 2013, 06:51 PM   #9
ThomasT

Thats a great story. As of feb 3rd my dad has been gone for 10 years. I sure miss him and wish he was around to share stuff with. Do all you can with him while you have the chance.

We fished, flew model airplanes and shot together. I worked in his machine shop from the time I was 10 years old till I reached age 24. I have had other guys say they could never work for their dad. We got along fine 90% of the time. Goodbye Dad.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

That's fantastic!

Now go tell your Dad that we're waiting for a range report.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:10 PM   #11
tekarra

Well done Wyoredman, he will treasure that rifle.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:20 PM   #12
Dwight55

Thanks for the great story, . . . you have a treasure in that relationship.

Not all of us were so fortunate.

I'm about your dad's age, . . . and I have the relationship with my son that is very similar. He called me the other day, . . . found 100 rd 5.56 for 37 bucks a box, . . . in brass, reloadable cases, . . . had already bought me two.

Enjoy your dad while you can, . . . may God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 11, 2013, 07:49 PM   #13
AH.74

What an excellent post, and a great thing you did. Thanks for sharing.
Old March 12, 2013, 10:59 AM   #14
Mr Budha

That is awesome man. I'm trying to get my father to go shooting with me, he's willing but after serving in Vietnam he really got away from guns.
Old March 12, 2013, 11:03 AM   #15
Cramer1

Re: My father and his AR-15! A story of changed minds.

My dad just git his first too. Makes it fun.
Old March 12, 2013, 12:04 PM   #16
Patriot86

Kind of sounds like my father, he grew up in NYC so he was never into/never could get handguns. But he has a shotgun and a couple of bolt action rifles. Slowly he is starting to like my handguns and AR's, its a work in process but going in the right direction!
Old March 12, 2013, 01:31 PM   #17
NWPilgrim

Way to go! Nothing is more convincing than having fun and being responsible. I think the AR15 has truly become America's rifle, much like the .30-30 was decades ago. It is versatile, fun to shoot, accurate, and relatively cheap to feed (normally).
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 15, 2013, 07:17 AM   #18
Skans

I really enjoyed reading that.
Old March 16, 2013, 02:30 AM   #19
okiewita40

Congrats to both you and your dad.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:29 PM   #20
4V50 Gary
Staff

Wyoredman - Awfully nice of you to share with your father like that. Let me know if you're up for adoption.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:40 PM   #21
Armybrat

Wyoredman, you're a good son!

Usually the gun-giving goes in the other direction.

About 30 years ago for my Dad's 75th birthday my two brothers & I gave him a new 3rd generation Colt Single Action .45 with a 7 1/2" barrel.

Oldest brother made a high quality case from Missouri Walnut (his home state), felt-lined & recessed to hold the revolver and a box of cartridges. We had a brass plate inscribing it as a presentation piece from his three sons. Also we had his military serial number engraved into the backstrap.

It turned out beautifully, and Dad was overwhelmed when we presented it to him.

With him being a huge fan of the TV series "Gunsmoke", we thought it was fitting to give him a revolver like "Marshal Dillion's".

If I remember correctly, the Colt cost a bit under $350.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:51 PM   #22
stu925

That's a fantastic thing to do for your Dad. I'm sure he's very proud of his boy. I have all of my father's guns, got them in the will, I'd give them all back to have him here today and I'd throw in some extras too. I'm sure he'll get plenty of use out of it and he'll show it off to everyone he knows saying "Look what my boy gave me". Well done.

Stu
Old March 17, 2013, 12:48 PM   #23
jtmckinney

I was like your father a few years ago but shooting with my son and his friends who are into AR rifles has changed my opinion. They also own 1911's and other semi-auto pistols, single action revolvers, semi and bolt rifles and probably others. That they show total respect for their firearms, firearm safety and the environment is something I respect. That a few times a year they let this old geezer tag along is something I treasure.

I can remember telling my son I did not want him to buy an AR-15 and bring it into the house but this was before I got involved in the firearm debate. That some of the wisdom of forums like this one and importance of the 2nd Ammendment to our country has rubbed off is also at play.

I should also disclose I recently bought a Hi-Point 45ACP Carbine to hunt havelinas with. Every bit as black and evil as any AR.

Enough from me, Have a great day!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old March 17, 2013, 01:35 PM   #24
JWT

I'm in the same camp. Could not possibly see why anyone would want one of the strange looking black guns. The a good friend picked one up and I shot it a few times and decided perhaps I did need one. Now I'd never part with it. They are indeed an awful lot of fun to shoot (assuming you can find ammo).
Old March 17, 2013, 02:24 PM   #25
rebs

Wonderful story and a time with your Dad that you will look back on and smile for many many years.