The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 21, 2012, 08:57 AM   #51
jimbob86

If you handload, then go with a .243. You can make reduced recoil loads for now, and as the kid grows, the capabilities of the rig can grow with him/her.

That was my plan with my Ruger Frontier in 7-08: Downloaded to 2400 f/sec for a 139gr bullet, you have 30/30 energy levels, and later on in life, heavier, more efficient bullets can make it a 300+ yard deer gun.
Old November 21, 2012, 11:32 PM   #52
taylorce1

Just because it is relevant to the topic. My daughter just took her first deer today at 120 yards with a .223 and the 55 grain TSX load by Federal. Unfortunately I was unable to be there because I got called to be at work this morning but my buddy took real good care of her and made sure she put the bullet where it needed to be. I guess the doe was quartering towards the blind and my daughter put the bullet right in the pocket behind the shoulder and the little blood spot you see is the exit wound.

I'll have more pictures and details hopefully tomorrow when my buddy has time to send them all to me. I just wish I could have been there to enjoy the moment. I'll hopefully be there in a couple of years when she can take her first elk in Colorado. She'll probably be using a 7mm-08 or .270 Win by then.