The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 3, 2011, 03:56 PM   #1
Kissaki

FIE/PR parts

I want to thank denster and sebou for their erudite responses to paintergirl0001's question about her Italian BP revolver.
I Have 2 Italian FIE/PR BP Colt revolvers with the usual date stamps, proof marks, and no serial #; the .44 "Navy" is marked "Orion"
I need parts- specifically cylinders for a .32 Colt Pocket, and a .44 Colt "Navy".
Does anyone know which parts if any interchange-Pietta,Uberti,Armi?
Or, does anyone know where I can get the specs. for the cylinders-OAL.,and OD; Base Pin Lngth.,and OD.,etc?
TYM
Old November 4, 2011, 12:46 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Kissaki

Welcome to the forum.

There may be those among us who have good knowledge of parts interchangeability. I am not among them, But I have had good results when I speak to the folks at the parts vendor about what will work with what. IMNSHO Dixie Gun Works and VTI Gun Parts are among the best.

I think that you will find that many of the internal parts you buy will need finishing to work perfectly even though you take care to buy a close match for the original. I have yet to put a hand or a bolt into a revolver and have it work right the first time. Of course that does not apply to cylinders. But I am thinking that if you need a cylinder, you might soon need a hand as well

I will go out on a limb and say that your revolvers are closest to ASM and I have used Pietta parts in ASM revolvers. I had to replace a cylinder on a Euroarms ASP a while ago and found the Pietta cylinder would not work. That was an 1851 Colt. (but in .44).

The people at both DGW and VTI told me Pietta would not work and they were correct. They also told me I would have a heck of time finding the cylinder and they were right about that too.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; November 4, 2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old November 8, 2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Kissaki

I am glad there is a Doctor in the house.
No one at DGW or EMF were able to help.
I will call VTI.
TYM
Kissaki
Old November 8, 2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

TYM

I just pulled apart my FIE 1851 Navy in .44 Brass frame. I tried a Pietta cylinder from an 1851 Navy Lawman which is a .44 steel frame with ebony grips. It is a very standard Pietta 1851 .44 frame.

The Pietta cylinder works perfectly in the FIE. Fits on the arbor. Nice tight gap. Action cycles perfectly. Line up and lock up are good. The rebate is at the right place.

I can't help you on the Pocket but it is possible it is .31 not .32. Photos might help.
Old November 8, 2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Hawg

FIE was an importer. They imported cheap guns from the cheapest suppliers. I have a PR Remington and a Pietta cylinder will not work. The quality of the PR is deplorable. A good shooter but parts fit is atrocious.
Old November 8, 2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Hawg

Right.

And

Now that I think of it, there is no reason to believe that since my Pietta cylinder works in my FIE revolver, that any Pietta cylinder will work in any matching FIE revolver.

The FIE I have is not a bad revolver. I don't shoot it much but it is alright. I don't own anything marked PR.

I don't think we have ever pinned down who manufactured for FIE. It may be that several different builders made pistols for them over time.

Well....anyway, my FIE accepts my Pietta cylinder.
Old November 8, 2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
I don't think we have ever pinned down who manufactured for FIE. It may be that several different builders made pistols for them over time.
Probably never will. There were several offbeat manufacturers they bought from. I don't think any of them were from mainstream builders.
Old November 9, 2011, 04:59 PM   #8
Kissaki

TYM

I want to thank everyone who helped me resolve my Italian no name revolver parts problem.
!Doc. thanks for going to the trouble of taking your Navy .44's apart!
And YES, the Pocket model is, of course, a .31 - !MY BAD!
I did call VTI - And they are GREAT! TWIMC; if you have a no name Italian revolver parts problem call VTI and ask for [with her persission] Lisa - she, not only, has an encyclopedic knowledge of those unmarked revolvers; !she will take out her calipers and measure the part!
With minor hand fitting my [maybe not your] PR .44 Navy will accept a Pietta cylinder and a Uberti cylinder will drop into my [ maybe not your] FIE PR .31 Pocket.
!Hawg, thanks for the http!
!Ya'll did good work!-TYM.
Old November 9, 2011, 05:18 PM   #9
robhof

robhof

VTI are good people. I have an ASM 31 Wells Fargo that had a cylinder with a bad spot on the ratchet, they had a replacement cylinder that I had to time by adjusting the ratchet rather than mess with the hand, as they didn't have that part at the time. After adjusting the new one with my dremmel, I messed with the old one and ended up with 2 working cylinders. The old one had a bent tip on one of the ratchet teeth and a little stoning made it usable. The VTI person I talked with was very knolwedgeable and took the time to offer suggestions to my problem with the pistol.
Old June 10, 2021, 07:12 AM   #10
toot44

FIE PARTS

I cannot say enough good things about VTI.