The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2008, 10:59 PM   #1
whiplash

pierced primer???

I was shooting my AR-15 .223 today with factory, Hornady 175gr Match HPBT. I had one pierced primer that had burned a tiny hole. This is the first pierced primer i have had in 25 years of shooting. I dont have the picture yet. It was only one in the box of 20. But it pierced right in the firing pin depression. Has anyone experienced this before? Is this something I need to contact Hornady about??? maybe just to inform them? anyone have other pictures of pierced/burned through primers?
Old November 23, 2008, 11:02 PM   #2
rwilson452

Yes I would inform them. pictures would be good. If you still have the box they came in the lot number would be real helpful to them.
Old November 23, 2008, 11:30 PM   #3
whiplash

yes I do still have the box...i will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say...still need to get working with that photobucket thing...
Old November 23, 2008, 11:54 PM   #4
Loader9

I'd like to see pics of that 175 gr bullet that yer shooting out of yer 223.
Old November 24, 2008, 12:05 AM   #5
rg1

In all my years of shooting I had one primer that had a pin-hole leak but it was on the radius of the shoulder of the primer. Not high pressure but just a leak. Some smoke and gas escaped but no damage.
Old November 24, 2008, 12:08 AM   #6
Gun 4 Fun

Several years ago, a friend gave me a box of regular Remington 180 gr. RNSP cor-lokts, for my 308. Several of the rounds in that box not only had pierced primers, but actually blew the primers. Then about 10 years ago I received a box of Fed High Powers, 180 gr psp. It too had several primers that blew.
No, none of the rounds in either box were reloads. I fired 2 of the Federal rounds and another guy fired the other one. My 30-06 was new to me at the time, [not a new gun, just new to me] and I wasn't sure if it had a firing pin issue, hence the reason I fired more than one of the rounds. I never have had any isuues with reloads [all I ever shoot unless someone has ammo for a gun they no longer have and just wants to get rid of it] in this gun. The fact that two different people had a pierced primer out of this box caused me to call Federal. All they said was to mail them the remaining rounds on my dime and theywould check them for problems
Old November 24, 2008, 12:27 AM   #7
olddrum1

I do not own an AR so this is coming from way out in left field but have you checked your firing pin?
Old November 24, 2008, 02:43 AM   #8
Sport45

Quote:
I do not own an AR so this is coming from way out in left field but have you checked your firing pin?
Ditto. If it didn't have a crater in the tip before it probably has one now. It will continue to pierce primers until it is replaced or repaired.

I ordered a new firing pin for mine. While waiting for it to arrive i was advised to stone the end of mine flat to remove the crater and then champher the edges a little. That pin is still in my AR and the new replacement is still in the bag in my shooting box. Haven't pierced a primer since flattening the end of the one had.
Old November 24, 2008, 06:23 AM   #9
ryalred

Did you mean 75 grain bullet? I don't think they make a 175 grain bullet for a 22 caliber.

Yes, I've had pierced primers, but it wasn't from the firing pin. The loads were too hot, but I backed off the charge.
reloading -- addicted
Old November 24, 2008, 09:51 AM   #10
whiplash

175gr bullet....HA....thats my super-secret bullet.....must have been superfast on the typing.....correct, it is a 75gr and not 175. I didnt notice anything with the firing pin while cleaning, but I wasnt looking for any damage though. I will check tonight. I had shot about 20 rounds after the pierced primer incident without problems....
Old November 24, 2008, 11:04 AM   #11
cgaengineer

I just got some range brass in .223 and several of those had pierced primers. I have never seen this and I attributed it to a primer that was too high or a cartridge pressure too high that forced the primer out of its primer pocket.