The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 11, 2002, 12:43 AM   #1
WhoKnowsWho

Knife Tactics

Anyone know a good webpage with information about tactics with folding knives and such? I've been looking around but haven't found much of anything. Thanks!
Old December 11, 2002, 04:17 AM   #2
Seeker

www.gutterfighting.com has some if you dig around a little.

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old December 11, 2002, 05:57 PM   #3
TaxPhd

1) Avoid a knife fight at all costs. Nothing good can come from it (except, hopefully, surviving).

2) Be like Nathan Bedford Forrest. "The firstest with the mostest."

3) If your adversary is armed, "defang the snake."

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton
Old December 11, 2002, 08:48 PM   #4
Mannlicher

best tactic for surviving a knife fight I have heard of is to pull your 1911 at the onset.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 11, 2002, 10:35 PM   #5
CWL

Don't recommend learning knife fighting from the internet.

Fast way to become deceased.
Old December 12, 2002, 12:51 AM   #6
HS/LD

Stab more than slash.

HS/LD
Old December 12, 2002, 01:12 AM   #7
Coronach

Engage feet, Mr. Sulu. Pick a direction, ahead warp factor 10.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old December 12, 2002, 07:07 AM   #8
David Blinder

Remember that the winner of a knife fight is the one who dies the day after the loser.
Old December 12, 2002, 07:16 AM   #9
weerwolf

Best tactic in a knife fight:
Look youre opponent dead in the eye , show no fear,
Turn around
Put your weight on your left foot , lift your right leg and put it down,
Do the same with your left foot,
Now speed it up.
If you fight like that , you'll live to fight another day
Old December 12, 2002, 07:18 AM   #10
weerwolf

No , serieusly , look on the internet for US army field manuals. Try to find FM 3-25.150 , it has a lot of info on bare handed and knife fighting.
Old December 12, 2002, 11:52 AM   #11
Cowdogpete

Go here: Powderhornedge

Old December 12, 2002, 12:07 PM   #12
Joe Demko

Follow the Jim Bowie method: Be enormously strong, ruthless, and insensitive to pain. Use enough knife. Close quickly with your enemy and ply the knife with a will. Then, be gracious and downplay the seriousness of your wounds during your long convalesence.
Old December 13, 2002, 08:46 AM   #13
WhoKnowsWho

I only asked because I don't have my CCW yet. So I have a pocket knife with a 4 inch blade or so. Of course running would be my first choice if face to face with someone else with a knife but that isn't always an option, considering my wife runs as fast as a slug, I would essentially be leaving her to her death. So basic ideas was all I was looking for.
Old December 13, 2002, 02:11 PM   #14
HS/LD

You asked a question about fighting with a knife and everyone says "run away!" Strange.

We all know the best idea is to extract yourself from the situation, but if you cannot...

Knife fighting is extremely dangerous but not necessarily difficult to become effective at against your "average street thug". The idea is to make it extremely dangerous for the other guy.

However if you have NO CHOICE and HAD it defend yourself with a knife nothing will beat good training.

Check out the US Army Field Manual mentioned above it has some very good basic information.

While I do NOT in any way consider myself an expert (regardless of my High Speed Low Drag nickname ) I completed a basic training course in the service and then progressed to advance H2H.

Nothing much scares me more than the thought of facing off against a skilled knife fighter, or even a thug for that matter.

I have however, defended myself a couple of times with a knife. I have been cut twice and stabbed in the back once (nicked a lung and a nasty scar). Nothing I would ever want to repeat.

After training with the service I pursued training with a martial arts school, as I previously could not carry a gun back home, (another country). The "kung fu" school taught similar techiques as the military and focused completely on effectiveness. They were very very good.

So get a good sturdy knife within the legal requirements of your state (over 3" here in Colorado is considered a weapon and if concealed is a crime without CCW) Obviously if possible fixed blade over folder, longer over shorter. Try and find a good school.....

oh and don't forget to stab more than slash.

Regards,
HS/LD
Old December 13, 2002, 03:06 PM   #15
krept

Quote:
Anyone know a good webpage with information about tactics with folding knives and such?
Not too sure about info exclusive to folders, but IMO if you get quick at bringing your folder into action, you incorporate the same techniques as a fixed blade with a folder. At least those techniques that aren't limited by the folder's ergonomics.

Kill or Be Killed is an interesting read. 17 megs, kinda big, but IMO worth it. Can't really beat free.
Old December 13, 2002, 04:43 PM   #16
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Real-world gutter-knife-fights are dirty, vicious, brutal and savage.

A real-world knife-fight will be over before you find out that it has started, and luck is every bit as important as skill - if not more so.

If you are planning on going rodeo against another man carrying a knife, I suggest that you find something safer to do.

Playing chicken with a locomotive comes to mind.

If, however, you are interested in upgrading your knife skills, find and watch the video Surviving Edged Weapons, take some knife-fighting seminars, read Kill or Be Killed, and if you find that it floats your boat, invest in a Filipino Martial Arts course.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old December 14, 2002, 05:04 AM   #17
weerwolf

Or check ou this site
Bali extreme
Old December 14, 2002, 07:59 AM   #18
Mort

As cool as that site is, weerwolf, Clay himself will tell you that those moves have nothing to do with knife fighting. I can do aerials with a balisong, and I am also familiar with Filipino knife fighting, and never the twain shall meet.

I've just got to add to the chorus here. Nothing beats training in person on a regular basis. Seminars and camps should be supplements; videos and books little more than food for thought.

Actually prevailing in knife-on-knife combat is an incredible challenge. I've worked on my skills a fair amount, and whenever I spar I am horrified at how cut up I would be. You can spend your whole life pursuing mastery; it recedes into the distance.
Old December 14, 2002, 08:52 AM   #19
ronin308

Quote:
stab more than slash
I'm curious, what is the rationale behind that?
Old December 14, 2002, 10:32 AM   #20
TierHog

The best way to win a knife fight that I know of is to bring a gun.
Old December 14, 2002, 12:04 PM   #21
krept

Quote:
quote:stab more than slash
-I'm curious, what is the rationale behind that?
A stab has a better chance of hitting a vital organ or artery, which will cause more rapid incapacitation. For example, instead of slashing at the gut, a stab might penetrate the abdominal wall and into the liver, etc.

Of course, it's hard to argue that some slashes directed at arteries (carotid, femoral, etc) in FMA wouldn't do the job too.

I have heard by those involved in combat that the best approach is to stab right for the face assault style, as human instinct is to shield the face in such an attack.
Sounds logical. Of course if you explain this and then try to do it in training, it might come out a little different. On the street, where both people are sweating and there is most likely going to be some weapon fixation? Yeah, might be a good strategy.
Old December 14, 2002, 03:42 PM   #22
HS/LD

quote:

stab more than slash

I'm curious, what is the rationale behind that? RONIN308

krept hit the nail in the head.
The rationale is much the same as it applies to terminal ballistics in regard to firearms. Stabbing your opponent increases your potential to "quickly" incapacitate your opponent, which should be your goal in a defensive setting.

A cut to the body, face, arms, legs etc. While horrifying to see is much the same as a "flesh wound" in a gun fight. The particular muscles and perhaps tendons may be damaged but fast incapacitation probably will not follow if the opponent is determined.

There is a specific capacity for cutting or "scaling" which is predominantly a psychlogical attack. Where large cuts are made to the limbs or face, much like scaling a fish. The point in this scenario is to psychologically damage the opponent and take him out if the fight mentally.

However if he is determined incapacitation will only come through, vital organs being shutdown, to reach the organ requires stabbing, in most cases at least 4" blades preferrably longer. or massive loss of blood causes blood pressure to decrease causes a loss of conciousness. To acheive the blood loss effectively one must again reach arteries and blood vessels deeper in the human body.

While cutting the limbs and body may be an effective way to imobilize an aggressor's limbs or "mentally" take the fight out of him, don't count on it to stop his attacks immediately.

I personally was cut on the arm deeply and didn't even notice the cut until the agressor hand been cuffed. I had also been stabbed "to the hilt" with a 3 1/2" knife in the back of the shoulder, I thought at the time that I had been punched there.

I would try to make sure that your opponent is immediately, if possible, incapacitated with stabs to important orgasn and blood vessells.

Once again I am not an expert in knife fighting!

Run like a madman, if you can't run.
Stab like a madman!!

Regards,
HS/LD
Old December 15, 2002, 12:17 PM   #23
mons-meg

On stabbing versus slashing, I think you have to look at your situation. If your opponent also has a knife, I think FMA calls for disarming your opponent which would mean you slashing at their knife hand largo mano style until they drop their weapon. Typical pocket carry knives are going to be 4 inches or less, which means even if you do intend to kill your opponent, chances are it will take a long time to find an organ.

Thoughts?
Old December 15, 2002, 05:49 PM   #24
weerwolf

My tactic is trifold

- Like Lynn Thompsom said: range negates skill. The close you get the more likely you will get cut. If you trained enough you'll be able to fight from farther. Also carry a big knife, a 6inch blade is the BARE minimum. A bigger blade will giver you more range when slashing and deeper penetration when stabbing.

- Train like you're gonna fight and fight like you train. Practice slashing and stabbing at carboard boxes. Also train on getting youre knife out fast enough. Although you get never get you're knife out too fast, fast enough means faster then the otherguy.

- Try to intimidate the other guy. Fear is the last thing you need in a knife fight. Best way to scare the other guy is to impress him with youre skill. Carry a butterfly knife and swing it open with a latch drop, that will scare most wannebe thugs away. More knifefights have been won without a drop of blood being shed then by some guy ending up as a bloody mess in the gutter.

Last edited by weerwolf; December 15, 2002 at 07:10 PM.
Old December 15, 2002, 06:14 PM   #25
OF

Quote:
The best way to win a knife fight that I know of is to bring a gun.
That pretty much sums up my technique.

I have a cousin who is a very serious martial artist, and his advice to me re: knife-fighting was to bring a gun.

- Gabe