The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 17, 2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Grant1110

Savage Axis

I have a Savage 110FP in 308, great gun. It has a heavy barrel and bi-pod, but it weights quite a bit to carry around in the woods. I’m looking for a rifle to take out in the elements and if something would happen I wouldn’t be out of an expensive rifle. And where I live the only ammo that I can find in bulk is .270 Win, 30-06. I noticed that Savage makes the Axis in both calibers, and I was wondering how the rifles functions and the reviews on it. Thanks
Old April 17, 2013, 02:17 PM   #2
hammie

I don't have an axis, but from what I've seen from internet chatter and "Gun Test" magazine, there are better entry level rifles. The best gun and the best value appears to be the ruger american (449$), followed by the new remington 783 (451$). If you want to stay with the savage action, then just buy a savage hunter 111XP (525$), or if you don't want to pay that much, then get a stevens (420$), which is a savage without the accu-trigger.

For a few dollars more, there are even better options such as the Howa (570$) or the Tikka T3 lite (655$).

Those are manufacturer's prices, but street prices are generally less, although lately with the crazy run on guns, street prices have not always been that much less.

And by the way, Gun Test magazine is a great magazine (or is it a clip?) for evaluations of all things shooting. They accept no advertising and they point out all the good and the bad about the product.

The firing line is the best of all forums, but you might want to also check out the axis category on the savage forum (savageshooters.com).
Old April 17, 2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Ruger480

I have one in '06 and I love it. The action is like buttah. The trigger is pretty stiff though. Recoil pad is awesome. I was expecting much worse. Accuracy from this gun is what you'd expect from Savage. Awesome.
Some people think that because it's so cheap that it's well...cheap. It is. But it will do everything I want it to and then some.
All said and done for the money, I think it's worth it. I might even get one in 243
Old April 17, 2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Huffmanite

You should add a Marlin XL7 rifle to your list of possible rifles to buy. Own one Axis and 3 Marlin XL or XS rifles. Will not buy another Axis. Consider the Marlin a much better rifle. Yea, costs more than an Axis, but is an entry level priced rifle. Bought my third Marlin last week for $300 plus tax. I've paid around $320 and $340 for my other two.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:36 PM   #5
hammie

@Huffmanite: Thanks. I had forgotten about the marlins.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Grant1110

Thanks for the replies, but what I am wanting to know is, which of the two Savage Axis rifles; .270 Win or 30-06 Spfd would be the better all around rifle.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:16 PM   #7
swfan

i have the savage axis in 30-06 i like how it looks and feels and the accuracy
but i'd rather have the 270 because i and my friends that shoot the 06 dont want to shoot it due to harsh recoil and shoulder pain

a vietnam vet gun collector has helped
me with it to sight it at 100 yds but to be honest it took a lot
more boxes of ammo than should have been
necessary because the recoil is so harsh the scope moved twice even after loctite

so i'll make you a deal if you don't like your 270 i'll trade you for my 30-06
Old April 17, 2013, 06:18 PM   #8
hammie

@Mr. Grant: Sorry about the mis-communication, but that's really something for you to decide. It's sort of like asking us if you should buy a butterfinger or a strawberry blizzard from dairy queen.

Personally, I would get the .270 win chambering, just to have something different.
Old April 18, 2013, 12:38 PM   #9
Fusion

If you don't like the recoil of a 30-06 and it bothers you that much, there is no way that you will like the .270 either as I highly doubt you will be able to tell any difference. I'd get a .243, 25-06, or possibly a 7mm-08 if you are recoil sensitive.

That said, I don't think the Savage Axis is the greatest budget rifle out there, but it's not horrible either. A friend has one in 25-06 he bought for his son to use and for a hunting rifle it does just fine. The trigger is heavy, and the stock feels cheap but the rest of the gun is solid. It's killed many a deer in the past two years from several different people shooting it. I've killed one with it myself. It's just flat out fun to shoot. Now that said, I think the Savage 10/110 is a 10x better rifle and imo it's worth paying the little bit extra for. If you can't pay the extra, I think I'd also lean towards the Ruger American over the Axis. However, I'd pick the Axis over any of Remington's lower end rifles.
Old April 18, 2013, 06:23 PM   #10
03Shadowbob

No way I'd get an Axis over similar priced Ruger American ($350 I paid) or a savage 110 or 111
Old April 18, 2013, 09:49 PM   #11
bacardisteve

I boughy one a few years ago when it was called the edge. Paid $275 out the door for the 308. I use mine as a beater rifle around the farm and I like it for what it is. The trigger is easy to work on by cutting down the spring, mine now now has a 4.5LB trigger with no creep and it breaks pretty clean. I could probably go lighter but I always have glove on when woking around farm so it works good for that. IT Shoots moa out to 300yds with fusion 165gr and a nikon pro staff 3-9x40.