The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 16, 2013, 06:03 PM   #1
j-shew

savage axis

I need an opinion I am looking at the savage axis. I know it is an entry level rifle. I mostly hunt with a bow but I go 3 times a year for deer. I do use the rifle for a back up when I bow hunt for bear. 308 7mm-08 270 or 30-06 what would you recommend I did read on-line the 30-06 kicks like a mule. I am thinking 7mm-08
Old March 16, 2013, 06:13 PM   #2
highbrow

I have 2 . 308 and 270. These are light rifles. The 7mm-08 will probably kick less, but you don't really feel it when hunting. I use a PAST shoulder pad when sighting in and it really helps.

There are some corners of this country which have bred the most terrible things, things that act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. FBHO- Free Edward Snowden
Old March 16, 2013, 07:38 PM   #3
David13

Well, I'm looking in the same areas for the same reason.
However, bear is out for me.
I'm sold on the .308.
As to which gun, that is going to take me a while.
I understand that if you are looking at a bear, you might be more interested in a 30.06 or the .338.
But that for deer the .308 is just right, with less recoil.
As to rifles, I like the looks of the Savage Trophy Hunter, as I want a wood and not synthetic stock.
I have also looked closely at the Remington 700 and the Winchester 70.
dc
Old March 16, 2013, 07:55 PM   #4
magnum777

I can tell you from my own personal experience, that I got a Savage Axis in .243 for my son. This gun shoots great for an entry level rifle. I don't think a Remington 700 or a Winchester 70 could have shot any better.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:55 PM   #5
steveNChunter

The Axis has a bit of an issue with stock flex because of the hole cut out around the trigger guard and the area of the stock around it, as you can see in this pic:

The flex is made more noticeable by the VERY heavy trigger pull that these guns come with. It can be made a little better by cutting down/lightening the spring, but its not made to be user adjustable like most rifles in this price range. I love Savage as a brand, they make some of the most accurate, quality rifles for the money but they should have sold the Axis under the Stevens brand to protect the Savage image IMO. The Axis is an OK rifle, but there are better options in this very competitive price range.

I went to a gun show today and Ruger Americans were selling like hotcakes at $329. There's been enough proof shown by threads on this forum to show that the RAR will shoot as good or better than alot of rifles costing much more. It may not win any beauty contests but it still looks better than a Axis IMO.

If I were buying an entry level bolt action it would be a Ruger American without a doubt.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:45 PM   #6
swfan

i have the axis in 30-06 it felt similar to
me as the ruger american
the axis kicks so hard it hurts even with the shoulder pad
that and the scope it comes with is crap
i couldnt sight it in at 50 yds
getting a new scope could help
Old March 17, 2013, 09:51 AM   #7
j-shew

The issues you have posted seem easily fixed. The ruger costs 750 were I live and I can get the axis in camo with no scope for 349 which is fine I have a bushnell elite 3X9X40 multi X to put on the rifle. I had posted above I do 90% of my hunting by bow and a couple times in a season I go with friends were I need to make shots 200 yd shots to far for a bow. I also was asking which cal would be good for deer and to have a back up when I bear hunt with my bow never can be too safe.

thanks

Jason
Old March 17, 2013, 02:28 PM   #8
steveNChunter

A Ruger American costs $750??? Are you sure you're not thinking of the M77 MK II? The MSRP on the American is only $449, and I have yet to see one sell for more than $375+tax. http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/models.html

But if you're dead set on the Axis, it will by all means be sufficient for what you said you will use it for. As for caliber choices that they offer in the Axis for a deer and emergency black bear gun, anything .25-06 or bigger should do fine.
Old March 17, 2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Rmart30

I have a Axis and its very accurate and the price was right..
A 7mm-08 should do you quite nicely. My 30-06 sits int he closet a whole lot more after i purchased a 7mm-08.
Old March 19, 2013, 06:26 PM   #10
SVTCobra306

I have an axis in .308. It is accurate and ok for the price, it was cheap at least. The bolt is pretty smooth and doesn't flop around much, and that's about where my likes end. The stock is too light and flimsy for a .308, it absorbs almost zero recoil so it all goes into your shoulder. They are all long action, so even if you shoot a .223 it is the same bolt throw as a 30-06. The trigger is harder than a mil-spec AR-15 with no adjustment and no compatibility with accutrigger parts. The bolt lift is so high I have a 40mm scope with tall rings..

All in all, it would make a great beater rifle in .223, 22-250, or maybe .243, and in my opinion that's about it. I'm getting rid of mine and I don't usually get rid of guns even if I don't like them.

For the money I'd look for a Savage 110 or 111, at least they have changeable stocks and can be upgraded to accutriggers.
Old March 19, 2013, 07:00 PM   #11
swfan

i agree with svt cobra hard to say it but i'd enjoy
mine better probably in a 223 or 243 due to the harsh recoil
i do like the way it looks and feels and its light but the 30-06 is very harsh on your shoulder and i use a past mag shoulder pad
Old March 19, 2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Ruger480

I have the Axis in '06. I made the LGS where I got it switch the stock with a 270 they had on the shelf. It was longer than the one on the '06.
I happen to really like the recoil pad on it. For the money I think its great.

As far as what caliber to choose, I will quote someone else whose name I cannot not remember at present "The '06 is never a wrong choice"